Limit kids internet time XP

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My mate is worried about his daughter's internet usage.
So he wants to limit the time she can be logged on, simple as.
Good news is, every member of the family has their own account, which is strictly adhered to.

I know you can do it via admin tools, but can't for the life of me, find it.
I've done a net search, but it comes up with "buy this" type stuff and I don't believe in paying when you can do it for nowt.

Cheers :smashin:

You can achieve this by using the net user command in cmd.

Quick example of this is:

net user david /times:monday-friday,11am-2pm

This means that David can only logon between the times of 11am to 2pm, during weekdays.

If David tries to login out of the times specified, he will recieve an error message informing him of the time restriction on the account.

No reason it shouldn't but I'll find out for ya. Already got a spare account setup to fool about with. I'll logon at 20.58 to see if it logs me out at 21.00.

Ok, so it doesn't log you off automatically. However, you could set it to logoff via Scheduled Tasks/Task Scheduler.

Thanks for that mate :thumbsup:

I very vaguely remember that something about 10 mins or 1 hour minimum was mentioned.

I'll look into that.

As for task scheduler, that might work too :smashin:

Cheers again :)

For Scheduled Tasks/Task Scheduler use:

%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -l -t 30

This will logon you off, with 30 seconds to save any work.

Using that in conjunction with the earlier net user cmd I gave you should work fine for your friend.

That's a bit harsh. 30 seconds to scramble for the flash drive when the kids are actually doing school work and not casual internet browsing!

Using that in conjunction with the earlier net user cmd I gave you should work fine for your friend.
Turns out the -t switch isn't supported when using the -l switch.

That's a bit harsh. 30 seconds to scramble for the flash drive when the kids are actually doing school work and not casual internet browsing!
You can change the value, but that doesn't matter as -t isn't supported when using -l.

Hmm right :rolleyes:

I doubt very much my mate is worried about her doing too much homework :D

@Singh400,

I'll look into that, cheers :smashin:

How is your friends daughter connected to the internet.

I have a friend whose network is wireless based... So the wireless router switches of at 11 pm i think, and switches on again at 9 am. This is acieved by using a simple digital timer switch in the wall.

If he or his wife want to continue using the net after this time, they connect their PC directly to the cable modem.

A slight pain but it was the easiest way to ensure the PCs upstairs lose interenet access between defined times.

Does this help?

I will admit the idea of using XP to control access also seems interesting, Iw ill look into thi myself out of sheer curiosity.

I must also look into task schedualer more

Adrian

How is your friends daughter connected to the internet.

I have a friend whose network is wireless based... So the wireless router switches of at 11 pm i think, and switches on again at 9 am. This is acieved by using a simple digital timer switch in the wall.

If he or his wife want to continue using the net after this time, they connect their PC directly to the cable modem.

A slight pain but it was the easiest way to ensure the PCs upstairs lose interenet access between defined times.

Does this help?

I will admit the idea of using XP to control access also seems interesting, Iw ill look into thi myself out of sheer curiosity.

I must also look into task schedualer more

Adrian
Surely it would just be easier to restrict access on the PC, instead of messing with the router. Which could have an unforseen knock on effect on the rest of the network.

@Badger0-0: Your friend tried this yet?

But it also depends on knowledge...

I was not really aware that it was possible to restrict accounts in the manner that you have described.

Adrian

Surely it would just be easier to restrict access on the PC, instead of messing with the router. Which could have an unforseen knock on effect on the rest of the network.

@Badger0-0: Your friend tried this yet?

It occurred to me to ask about how she connected to the net.
It turns out it's on the one and only computer :suicide:

The thought "why don't you just tell her to turn it off" came to mind.

I guess that alters things a bit?

Or plan B, he turns it off himself :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom