LIMIT DVD900SE - Any Good ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andyboy, Feb 2, 2005.

1. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying one of these from Play.com (£99.99) and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what it's PAL / NTSC Progressive performance is like and also how it sounds as it shows as Cyrus tuned.

I may get it to replace my Pioneer DV575 as it's performance on PAL Prog Scan is not that great due to the excessive jaggies, hope someone can help.

:hiya:

2. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hmm I have a Limit surround package but without a DVD player, 4 floor stander which look superb, a matching centre also a good sub w int. amp, ironically I also have this set up to a pio 575, very impressive setup for the price and looks the part too (esp the surround speakers), just make sure u use good quailty interconnects etc :)

3. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    well, i did have a 800se tuned by cirus and it sounded fantastic. cd's were the clearest i've ever heard. and many say the same about the 900se, at £99 it's a steal.

actually, does anyone know why play are selling these half price? they're still full whack on limit's website. would limit sell these players to play if they knew they were going to charge half price? seems counter productive to me :confused:

4. burnmypies

burnmypies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Limit DVDA900SE = Very good
    For 99 quid you won't be disappointed.

5. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers fellas - thanks for the feedback !

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Lets face it these models are getting on abit now. They don't quite have the bells and whistles of the latest players with divx and other improved functionality. However they do perform superbly and are beautifully well built.

7. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Totally agree with the previous post. Extremely good player, and the audio is excellent. I only visited AV today because I'm thinking about upgrading to get the "bells and whistles". For £99 it's a steal (I paid £150 as an AV powerbuy).

One minor sour note, JPEG display is not great, especially if you have high res pictures. Raised it with Limit months ago, but no fix available.

8. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    stricko.
    I too have just ordered one from play.com. I have read the 203 post thread about the limit900se with interest but noticed that the thread came to a halt on "your" last post,

11-05-2004 07:23 PM
    by stricko.

I wonder why?

9. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    John59

I'm confused by the quotation marks around "your" in the last post. What is it meant to imply?

I would guess that the other thread had reached the point where there was nothing more to add. For information, my 900SE is just about to go up on Ebay, unless someone wants to make me an offer.

I've got a samsung 745 on order, as I'm interested in the DVI interface and I'd like SACD as well (if only for the Can re-issues!).

10. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Stricko
    Sorry about the " " around your. Grammar was not my best subject at school, no implication meant :blush: .
    The reason I wondered why it came to an end is because the guy from limit who was very responsive to the forum members had suddenly stopped posting and there was questions unanswered, it was kind of cut short if you know what I mean and I expected more.
    Can I ask why you have decided to sell the limit?

Best regards.
    John :)

11. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    John59

No problem, I must have been having a sensitive day when I read the post.

I'm not being cryptic, but it's not that I'm selling the Limit, but I'm buying the Samsung and the Limit becomes superfluous.

The Samsung has several things that I would like but the LImit does not do. SACD is one reason, I'm big into the German band Can, and their back catalogue is being remastered in SACD. From what I can tell, DVI is highly regarded as the best interconnect between a player and a plasma, My plasma supports DVI, the Limit doesn't, but the Samsung does. I get the occasional AVI file (like the first 6 episodes of 24 series 4 last week), and at the moment I either have to convert them to DVD, or else play them from my PC. It works, but it ain't user friendly, so being able to play them direct would be a bonus. And maybe, just maybe, the SAMSUNG wil be able to handle large JPEGS properly. 3 good reasons, and possibly a fourth. Better than my usual justification for buying kit; I want one!!!

Don't get me wrong, I still think the Limit is a good player. I've been thinking about keeping it just for audio, but I'll do back to back tests with the Samsung to see how it fairs. I'm not much on an audiophile, I tend to focus more on the video quality. And I don't have another room, or screen to use it in/on.

Seems to make sense to sell it rather than having it gathering dust.

12. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    No problem stricko :smashin:
    Good luck with your new player and enjoy it with a :beer: or three :D
    Best regards.
    John.

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have the 900SE and found it s superb cd player (for a dvd) That was the main reason I got one and the price for the superbuy. £99 is a steal. My tv cant do prog scan to cant test that. DVD-A sound fantastic on the limit and dvd's look really good, it does have the occaisional problem with layer changes (delay) but otherwise no problems for me. The Arcam Alpha 5 blows its cd replay away though:devil:

Im looking to maybe upgrade to the Denon 2910 if its got a (much) better picture than the limit. It also plays sacd so gives me that option. I will have to demo it first. Or maybe a dvd/hd recorder.