1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limit DVD800SE

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Norm, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Norm

Norm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got this player?

http://www.limitelectronics.co.uk/product_detail.asp?id=2

It gets a great review in What Hifi, particularly for its sound quality, which has been upgraded by Cyrus. As I would like to also play music CDs, it sounds ideal.

I haven't been able to find it in any stores, and would really like a second opinion before buying it on their website.

Thanks in advance.

2. nhalliday

nhalliday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Norm,

The Limit DVD800SE is currently available exclusively via our website, and is not yet in the stores.

You are welcome to try it at home for a week, and return it for a full refund if it does not suit.

Any questions, please feel free to PM or email me.

Best regards,
    Nick Halliday
    Limit Electronics (UK) Ltd.
    info@limitelectronics.co.uk

PS Sorry if this post is a bit commercial, but no-one else had replied. ;-)

3. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    ......sounds like a good offer Norm. Why don't you go for it and give us a review to boot. :smashin:

Croc

4. Norm

Norm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just placed my order. I'll post my thoughts when it arrives.

5. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What the general thoughts about Limit, it's a new name to me?

(Sorry if I'm showing my ignorance, but I've got another thread open regarding a reasonably priced PAL PS player. I'm being encouraged to blow my budget (£150) to go up to the HK 2550, but it doesn't do JPEG, which my family is insisting on. Is this an alternative to the HK, as it has JPEG capability)

6. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The new DVD800SE doesn't do Prog Scan. It's thing is that it has been tuned by Cyrus for enhanced CD replay as well as being a DVD player. There are Limit models that do PS but I can't remember the model numbers. I think one model with PS is the DVD900SE, but that's been around for yonks and had much press here, both good and bad
    Nice one Norm, look forward to your comments

Cheers

Croc

7. nhalliday

nhalliday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify:

The DVD800SE does not have Prog Scan.

We have a new model called DVDA900SE which is also tuned by Cyrus. This features PAL/NTSC Prog Scan and DVD-Audio. It has only just gone on sale, and as such there has been nothing written about it (either here or elsewhere) as yet, although it will be in the press in the next couple of months.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Nick

PS I think Croc is refering to the DVD9900SE, which is an old model no longer in production. This was designed prior to our joint venture with Cyrus.

8. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    nhalliday

Sounds interesting. What deinterlacing chip is used in the DVDA900SE?

Cheers

Croc

9. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nick

Sorry to be direct about this, but I don't want to step out of the frying pan into the fire. Reading the Limit website, the operation sounds very similar to the Cambridge Audio proposition; european design expertise and flair, far eastern build. And the spec of the machines sounds very similar. (I was thinking about the DVDA900SE, not the 800).

Given the problems with my CA DVD 57, it's hard to justify going down what sounds like a very simiar path with Limit, especially with a very new model.

Paul

10. nhalliday

nhalliday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stricko,

Your concern is understandable. I guess that Limit and CA do share some similarities in terms of company structure.

I am very familiar with the DVD57, indeed I bought thousands of them in my previous role as Purchasing Director of RS. I have to say that we had very few problems with them, given the quantity sold.

However, the similarities between our DVDA900SE and the DVD57 are purely in the features list. I'm not technically-trained, but I'm told that a key feature of the new DVDA900SE is that it employs the (very expensive) Zoran chip-set, which I believe is also used on many high-end players, including Arcam, etc.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
    Nick

PS Don't forget that you can try the DVDA900SE out if you like (see my previous post in this thread). I'd be interested to hear an independent opinion on Cyrus' work.

11. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nick

It seems like you and me are alone on this thread. I was hoping for some independent views on your products!

Paul

12. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Got to start somewhere stricko, with buy or return based simply on whether you're happy or not, nothing to lose.

Be a leader and stick up a review, be like storming Norman :smashin:

Croc

13. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I got a Limit DVD player sold by Richer Sounds a while ago and the picture is the best even in interlaced mode hooked up to my projector ( and I've tried loads of DVD players )

I am very interested in this DVD player if its sounds great also but has kept the same picture quality of the Richer Sounds one I have now

14. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I too have an old model Limit JDV300A and would be very interested in how the new models perform.

Regards, Mylo:smoke:

15. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    MM This sounds tempting as I am after a Pal and NTSC prog
    DVD player to replace my Tosh 220 :)

16. Norm

Norm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've had a chance to play with my new toy over the weekend, so I thought I'd share my thoughts (for those who are interested!):

First impressions were generally good - the player arrived in a well-packed carton, with English manual and mains plug (I mention this because I've bought electronic goods before which have had European plugs and manuals). There was no scart cable supplied, but to be honest that didn't bother me as I would have chucked it in the bin anyway. Just make sure you've got a decent cable before your player arrives, or you'll be looking at a blank screen! If I had to be picky, I'd say that it's a bit stingy of them not to include a couple of batteries for the remote, but it's not a big deal.

The player looks (in my opinion) stunning. I had only seen pictures in the Wot Hifi reviews before now, and they made it look like the player had a sort of black band right across the front panel. However, in reality this is a mirror finish panel, and looks great. I can see me getting obsessive about finger prints though, so I'll have to keep the kids away. The only external signs of Cyrus' tuning are a classy and discreet metal Cyrus badge on the front panel (which isn't shown in the review pictures), and a nice "Certificate of Authenticity" signed by Cyrus' Chief Engineer, Stuart McGregor.

I linked it up to my TV (a Philips 32" WS) using RGB through the scart, and my overall impression of the picture is that it's very good. I'm sure that it can be bettered by spending a lot more on a player, but it's certainly at least as good as my other player, a Toshiba SD330 which has now been consigned to the bedroom. I find it difficult to describe the picture quality subjectively, but I'd say that it is sharp and vivid, and certainly seemed to show every detail in the Pirates of the Caribbean film I was watching.

Regarding the sound, I tried it out in two ways. Firstly, I hooked it up via the coaxial digital output to my AV setup, a Denon AVR1803 and KEF eggs. The sound was detailed and focussed, with none of the "muddiness" that sometimes afflicts budget DVD players. The bass was clean and tight, whilst the treble was clear, without being overly fatiguing.

At the same time, I checked out the CD sound quality via the analogue RCA outputs into my NAD C320BEE amplifier and Mission 780SE speakers. I have to say that I was astounded, given the price. I have been into hifi for a long time (I've only recently caught the AV bug), and have owned all sorts of exotica over the years, and whilst it'll never come close to my old Linn Sondek (will anything?), it certainly knocks spots off any CD player I've ever heard costing less than about £500. My current player of choice is the Marantz CD63 KI Signature, which, despite its age, I feel still outperforms some more recent (well reviewed) players from Arcam, Rotel, etc. I'd say that the Limit DVD800SE sounds at least as good as the Marantz, although in a different way. It sounds a little more agressive, whilst the Marantz is perhaps slightly more mellow and laid back - maybe because of its age!

In summary, I'd say that the Limit at least holds its own at the price point as a DVD player, but if sound quality is your thing, the DVD800SE is a real bargain.

Best wishes,
    Norman J

17. Contar

Contar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello nhalliday,
    I have seen the reviews of the Limit 800 and I have followed all of this thread. Before I place an order with yourselves for a DVDA900SE I have a question for you.
    Will the DVDA900SE play RCE discs ?

Also are you going to put some buy in the AV Forums power buys ? :devil:

I am sure you will sell more than a few to those who follow these pages. :clap:

18. nhalliday

nhalliday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Contar,

AFAIK, the DVDA900SE will play any commercial DVD, including RCE titles - I've certainly never had any problems with one I've been using. Of course, it's difficult to predict what the "DVD Powers That Be" might concoct in the future to protect their cosy little business, but you can definitely set the DVDA900SE (and the DVD800SE for that matter) to, say, Region 1 only, if required, rather than All Regions.

Regarding Power Buys, it's been difficult to keep up with demand for the past few weeks, due to the reviews etc. However, we are now back in an "in-stock" position, so how about we offer a 20% discount to all AV Forums members who want to buy before the end of February? Therefore, the DVD800SE would be £119.99, and the DVDA900SE £159.99 - the only stipulation being that if you like it, you promise to tell your friends (about the player, not the discount:D )

Anyone interested, please post on this thread.

Cheers,
    Nick

19. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK Nick, that will do for me. How do I order a 900?

20. stephenbelcher

stephenbelcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick

Do you have any better product specs and images other than the ones on the website? I am interested in the 900.

Cheers

Stephen

21. nhalliday

nhalliday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The easiest way to purchase is to buy on the website (www.limitelectronics.co.uk) at the full price, then contact me and I will arrange to refund the discount on your card.

I don't have any other pictures available at present, but if you have a specific question, I'll do my best to answer it.

Cheers,
    Nick

22. Norm

Norm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do I go about getting my discount? I bought mine before your Power Buy, so I hope I still qualify!

23. stephenbelcher

stephenbelcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick

What are measurements?

What is the finish on the 900? Is it brushed aluminimum?

Cheers

Stephen

24. nhalliday

nhalliday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Norm - I already put the discount through on your card yesterday.

Stephen - 430 x 270 x 45mm, yes it's brushed aluminium.

25. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ordered a 900 today. More news when I get it.

26. Contar

Contar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello again Nick,
    Just got back from 2 days in Ireland on business. I have read your reply and may I say from all AV Forrum members thank you very much. :D
    I have ordered a DVDA900SE today, under my real name of Nick Jowett (another Nick). Need any more details?
    Thank you again.

Nick :clap: :clap: :clap:
    PS I will put the word out to anyone I know about this player.

27. Topazali

Topazali
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,
    I was wondering whether the 900SE was able to play DVD+RW discs?
    Many thanks,
    Al

28. Contar

Contar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Nick,
    Got my credit refund so hopefully the player is ready to be shipped as well.

29. nhalliday

nhalliday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your orders gents - I've processed the transactions (and the credits), so I'm hoping to get the players to you by the end of the week. They have to be hand-tuned to the Cyrus specs by our technicians, hence the short delay.

Regarding DVD+RW, the bottom line is that I'm not sure. Our technical guys say that some may play, and some won't. If you want to send me a test disc, I'd be happy to try it out for you.

Cheers,
    Nick

30. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    So guys

I'am looking to puy , but before I do
    Has any one yet got there DVDA900SE :clap: , if so spill the beans ? ?

Picture / Sound ( The picture being the main thing for me )
    Prog scan on both NTSC & PAL

So Value for money & performace

:smashin:

P/s Nick I could be placing an order Soooooooooooon