Limit 9900se review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gary Lightfoot, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    This player gets both good and bad reviews, so here's my Home Cinema Choice type review - hope you like it. :blush:

That's The Limit...

Having returned my Toshiba to Richer Sounds for a replacement, I would be without a player until a new one came into stock. I asked Paul who was dealing with me if I could borrow the Limit 9900SE as a loan machine until a 520 came in. He said that would be OK, so with a smile on my face, I left Richer Sounds with the player under my arm.

My main reason for asking for the limit was because of its PAL and NTSC progressive scan capabilities and because I couldn’t believe that something with this spec could be any good priced at just £150. I didn’t release it, but I was about to enter The Twilight Zone…

I connected the machine up to my NEC HT1000 via component, s-video and scart to see how the outputs faired. Standard interlaced has to be selected to allow outputs to be seen via s-video or scart, so my first test was via component interlaced.

Picture was bright and clear with no visible artefacts after calibration, and unless compared against something like the Toshiba SD520e, you would be very happy with this player. Not quite as sharp as the 520, the picture was slightly soft in comparison. Colours and detail levels were good, but the spec says this machine is capable of greater than 450 lines of resolution, and this seems apparent compared to the 540 of the Tosh.

Posterisation in the Titanic sub sequence was minimal, and put some other more expensive players to shame. This was a great machine for the money, and at less than half the price of some of the apparently higher spec players, was competing favourably. Outputs via s-video and scart were also good, so however you connect this machine up, you won’t be disappointed.

Progressive mode was next on the list, and this was done via a press of the remote. Picture quality took a small step forward, and this was how I have used the machine ever since. I am projecting an 84” wide image on my 16:9 screen, so this shows up any image deficiencies. Put this player on a normal tv, and I’m sure the interlaced output would be even more comparable to the likes of the Tosh and Philips 963, though the Philips I had was the worst image of the three in my opinion.

Gary.

2. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aye the more i use the limit the more i like the picture.....tho after a avia session i found i had to have the sharpness a little higher then usual...

This gives a better picture now.....just waiting for another component lead so i can have this as a R2 only player..

3. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine's bigger ;) I am projecting an 4:3 image on an 210cm wide screen using a Sanyo PLV30

Like yourself, mine's set to multi-region and progressive scan and I just forget about. Very good picture, even when I where my glasses ;)

So Gary, did you keep the player and asked for a refund? Or keep it like Respectamonkee for a PAL progressive supplement...

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    I took it back for a replacement Toshiba SD520E - it gives a much sharper image in both interlaced and progressive (though only NTSC), and I get a better picture on my HT1000 with it, so that's what I wanted.

Unfortunately, the replacement 520 had the same green shift in PAL as the first (I think they actualy gave me back the one I returned 2 weeks earlier), so I'm still using HTPC at the moment.

If I hadn't seen the Tosh, I may well have kept it though.

Gary.