Limit 9900SE - Best Budget Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dejongj, Dec 26, 2002.

1. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following a post from Dimitris I went out on Christmas eve to RS and bought the Limit 9900SE with the ensurance of a full 7 day refund. I was sick and tired of Philips yet again getting their act and distribution together.

Now pay attention the Limit 9900SE is now confirmed multiregion, PAL/NTSC progressive scan. My Sanyo PLV30 reports 575p with R1 discs and 480p with NTSC disc. You get all of this for a mere £199 and it actually works unlike the Lecson 1000.

The player itself looks really well built, a very stylish real metal slim line case. Though the remote control could have been a bit more solid. The transport is very, very quiet. Now you probably want to know about picture quality.....

In one word SUPERB. I am thinking I got a new projector, the level of black, contrast and brightness is just astonishing. The amount of detail that I am discovering on existing discs is beyond believe.

I won't go into comparisons with other players as this is too subjective. I think this player is superb. A nice little extra feature is the ability to play photo CD's.

This player is also supposed to be able to handle SACD, MP3, VCD but I have not source material to test. I have tried normal CD and that sounds pretty impressive for a DVD player, a lot of authority and rithm.

If you want PAL progressive scan, get this player now.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

2. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the review Jean-Paul . . . this could well be the new player for me when I get my new plasma in January . . . may I ask, how noticeable is the layer change on discs with this machine ? There seems to be such a wide variation between players where layer change is concerned, and how noticeable it is ?

Thanks,

Monty.

3. john039

john039

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Best budget player?

Considering the list price on RS is £199 I'd hardly call that budget since you can pick up DVD players for less than £60 these days.

4. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the overall scheme of things though John, under £200 would still be classed by many people as a budget player . . . and since this is the only player in that price bracket (as far as I know) that does PAL / NTSC progressive scan, I can see where Jean-Paul is coming from . . . it's not the cheapest player, but it's amazingly specified for the money.

5. drdm12345

drdm12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could not agree more guys. I am so well pleased with this little machine. The quality is excellent for the money. I mean this is the first sub £200 to play progressive PAL & NTSC. The only others I know of are the Denon 2800MKII with firmware costing up to £700, the Arcam 88+ at about £1k and the awaited Philips 963 at circa £400. Since my finances do not stretch to these (new house and move abroad) thought that this is an excellent player for the money. Reliability I would not know and is something that only time will tell. All in all very pleased and it looks great on te rack. No sign of plastic. As for remote the truth is I have never used but for the remote hack. Pronto rules in that department. Can not wait for the iPronto to hit Europe. I have started saving already. Dimitris

6. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What display do you have your Limit player linked up to Dimitris ? How does PQ compare to your previous DVD player ?

7. drdm12345

drdm12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend from work allowed me to use his PAny PT 100 as I wanted to see Progressive. The image was very nice indeed. prior to that I had an LG 4950 via RGB to my Philips Matchline TV and was pleased with viewing. However I have to admit that Limit was much better. We used Ixos component leads from Limit to projector. As I said Monty for £200 you can not go wrong. Only thing remaining untested is reliability. If there is no problem in the near future then this little player must be one of the most exciting little products I have bought. And believe me I have tried a lot of budget players! You see I currently bought a new home in Italy and will be relocating in february. There since I have the space on of the rooms will be converted in a modest theatre. Hence I am picking up my gear before I go as the prices here are cheaper and were I go I will not find the variety of London. I am planning to acquire in late January the Sanyo PLV Z1 to connect to my Limit. Dimitris

8. CIMPSA

CIMPSA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys
    Very impressed with what I have heard of this budget player so far. But I am confused. I pick up a leaflet from RS today where it says that it plays DVD Audio, but no mention of SACD, but RS´s website says that it plays SACD???
    Any ideas? (In any event, quite worrying that not even RS can make up their mind!!!)
    Apart from that, looks like a very tempting product.
    Carlos

9. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I picked-up one of these from RS today.
    My thinking was, I can try it out with my plasma & always return it if it's not up to scratch. (My present player is not Prog Scan)

It is NOT multi-region though, so unless they can supply me with a handset 'hack', it will be going back tomorrow :(

I was quite excited for a moment though; MR & PAL PS for £200...

10. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Phoned RS this morning & they gave me the handset code which worked 1st time & played "Spiderman", my only RCE dvd no problems.

Popped out to get some component leads & I must say, I'm well impressed.
    The picture is brilliant and the thing that used to annoy me with PAL discs - a kind of 'combing' effect noticable on edges during pans/movement which I had put down to the panel, as it was not as noticable on NTSC has gone now. I currently have Gladiator R2 playing & the many panning scenes I've watched have all been solid.

So far a very worthwhile upgrade for less than I spent on my original player!
    The kids will also be pleased as when they get home there will be a multregion Toshiba DVD player underneath the TV in the lounge:)

Will post again once I've had a chance to play, but looking good so far...

11. drdm12345

drdm12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What component leads did you use and where did you buy them from? I am looking for a 5 meter run and I want something decent. Cheers Dimitris

12. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Dimitris,

I've bought quite a few cables from www.bluejeanscable.com in the US. They use top quality Belden cable and Canare connectors. Excellent service and reasonable prices - $50 for a 15 feet length component cable.

Steve

13. Kentish

Kentish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.....

Does this player play VCD,s and DVD-R, as well as CDR,S?

Basically I suppose I am asking what are all the formats it will play as info I have read all varies in detail and accuracy.

How does this also compare feature wise and disk playing ability to the Tosh SD520 which I see is now at £185?

Cheers.

Kentish

14. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Sorry for the late response but I was out of the country...

I do not have any VCD, DVD-R so I can't confirm. The documentation states that it will play it. I have tried both the Boots and Kodak photo-CDs and all the picture are displayed brilliantly. This is being read from CDR of cours.

Well the main difference to the Toshiba 520 is that this player is can do both PAL and NTSC progressive scan. The Tosh can only do NTSC. This is will definitely beat it hands down.

The component cables I use are from Supra, they are the AV3 and I use them in a 24Ft long configuration. I got them from http://www.custom-cable.co.uk or alternatively from http://www.supradirect.co.uk. I think the it is just a white-paged shop are the webshops look too similar ;-)

Nike, I am glad you have got the hack because this player is worth it. It is also mentioned in another post on this forum.

I checked the Zoran website, who make the chipset for this player and it should only do DVD Audio and no SACD as the other players using this chipset; Arcam DV88, FMJ27!!!; Toshiba 9200!!!; are only DVD Audio machines. I do not have any DVD Audio software nor a compatible amplifier so I cannot confirm it at this moment in time.

John, MontyUK has already said it and echoed my thinking. This player is only of interest to people who can use a progressive output signal. If you don't have a monitor capable of progressive scan input than yes you can get players that are a lot cheaper. But the built quality and real PAL progressive scan is unique at this price-point.

I have only watched one full length movie, Braveheart, and just snippets from other discs to test it out. I must admit that I haven't noticed any layer changes, now that does not mean it does it quick or unnoticeable. It just means that I did not notice it. :D

15. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I see from the RS WWW site it can plav VCD's but not SVCD's. Can anybody with the Limit player confirm it can't play SVCD's? We all know that several players can do SVCD even though they say they can't on the box :)

cheers

Gavin

16. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't have any...don't even know what the difference between VCD and SVCD is....

If you send me one I can try it for you! Out of personal interest, why would you even want to play a VCD?

Cheers,

JP

17. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I use SVCD's for archiving home video footage, plus of course a backup or two of the odd DVD ;-)

SVCD is a lot better quality than VCD, but you are limited to about 45mins of video per disc. My current player Tosh 210, states it supports VCD and not SVCD, but plays SVCD just fine.

Thanks anyway.

Gavin

18. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yo

Heres my initial thoughts from my Z1, compared to old Marantz DV7000.
    Its no where near as good, PS doesnt seem to make difference to my eyes and the pictures not as good as Marantz.

I'll test more with the Limit later, but I must be missing something ?

Its definately outputting 480p on NTSC.

John

19. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavin, have you considered getting a DVD burner for your PC or MAC. They are about £200 now, my wife bought me one for Christmas with the hint that I can now put our wedding video on DVD. Our videographer was kind enough to give the orginal DV tapes...So I should be able to put it together in near lossless quality.....

Oaklandraiders, I'm not certain what you are missing. But the difference between progressive scan and interlaced is massive. All you have to do is take a look at the still of the screen saver, in Interlaced it is not stable and in Progressive it is rock solid. I do not know the Z1 nor the DV7000, but are surprised you can't see the difference between PS and Interlaced.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

20. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Yep, the DVD writer is on the "must buy this year" list!! With Xmas out the way, I just need to pull the funds together :D

The Limit looks a promising player, I already have a Iscan Plus (It only does NTSC progressive), but I really want PAL PS aswell. I can't justify spending £700 on an Iscan Pro, but £199 for a Limit could be possible.....time to convince SWMBO :)

Gavin

21. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yo

Ok I tested a few more discs and its a faint difference at best.
    Stills are rock solid in PS or Interlace.
    PAL PS the difference is a bit more noticeable.

However I hook up my pc and I can see a big difference, but I wont be going down that route.

So now I'm back to trying the philips PS DVD, but where else will let me do a trial at home.

Just a note on Richer Sounds where the Limit is from. I went to the Guildford branch and they were very helpful and knowledgable. It was pouring with rain and people were queing out into the street ! The chap there said it was so busy they couldnt get out to eat, so he asked if anyone outside would go and get them 3 McD's, in return 10% off anything and free cables and speaker wire, nobody went and got them one !
    I'd have been off in a shot if I'd heard it.

John

22. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oaklandraiders, I just can't believe that you can only see a faint difference. Perhaps that Z1 you have got has got a very good builtin deinterlacer compared to my PLV30.

I would be interested to hear whether you see more difference with the Philips 963SA.

Good luck.

JP

23. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Jean-Paul

I also have the PLV30 and want a Pal PS DVD player for it. I've read your review on another thread and it certainly sounds the bizz on video, but (forgive me if I've missed it) I don't think you've said much re. the sound. What is the audio DAC spec? and also what is it like for normal CD playback?

24. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't said much about the sound. There is a reason for this as I found sound even more subjective then picture. Different people have such different tastes. The difference between PS and Interlaced leaves no discussion, well except for Oaklandraiders perhaps :D . But sound and the perception of what is good sound and how it should be adjusted.

I prefer my sound 'natural' sounding, the way the sound engineers have intended the CD. As such I switch all processing off on my AMP as my Kenwood provides that option. For CD usage I have connected the Limit using Cambridge Audio Pacific Interconnects to the CD Analog input of my amp. The reason for this is that my AMP is quite old now, a 1997 DD5.1/DTS model from Japan and I prefer the conversion in the Limit. However when I used the Samsung I only used the digital interconnects as the DAC in the Samsung was horrible.

In short, I think the Limit is a pretty decent CD player. I won't say it is the best in the world but the quality is very good. I like the rythm and clarity, it is quite bright in my setup but that is good as my speakers (AE Aegis 3) can get bass heavy which I do not like.

Classical music is absolutely fantastic, great dynamics and bit. Dance music is also absolutely fantastic and played with great authority. Rock/Guitar is very, very entertaining and detailed, I can hear every snare with good rythme and depth. Pop is good, but a little on the tinny and bright side, then again I guess that is what the sound engineers tend to do as it is pop after all :D

Dolby Digital and DTS is very clear cut. Amazing clarity and impact. Just listen to those scenes in Saving Private Ryan, both the opening and the born lucky scene when the tank is about the enter the village. The dynamics are fantastic, the steering is so precise, the clarity across all speakers is great. It is so airy to hear the tank, you know it is comming, the floor is shaking, you hear the squeeks but where is it........

Then play some Rob Roy, great movie, I have heard detail I have never before with the shouting in the mountains.

In short I think my wife said it all. The impact, rythme, detail and bass have greatly improved. This was the best upgrade for us in the last year. It is good that our house is detached because it is really shaking on its foundations.

In short and in my own subjective opinion. A decent player for CD music and a personal improvement. A fantastic player for home cinema sound.

I haven't been able to try out DVD Audio as my AMP does not support the inputs.

Crocodile, you won't be disappointed when you get this player. Definitely not, but please do not compare it with a £600 standalone CD player. Than again there are not many DVD players that can compete.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

25. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for your input on the sound quality.
    Although I haven't done any comparisons with my old player (Tosh SD-3109), I have not been disappointed with sound quality so far.
    Stand out moments so far have been playing 3 episodes of Band Of Brothers consecutively (DTS); Totally blew me away!
    The night before last I watched A.I. for the first time; whatever you think of the film, it has a spectacular soundtrack.

If I think about it, everything I've watched so far has sounded really good - that must say something as you're more likely to start analysing sound quality if you think something is 'amiss'.

I have a stand-alone CD player (Musical Fidelity X-ray), so have never really bothered with using my DVD player for CDs.
    The Tosh had an HDCD decoder and HDCD discs sounded miles better on the MF, which didn't! Hardly a fair comparison though...

As an aside, I can also confirm it plays VCDs - It even played a VCD burnt onto a CD-R which I wasn't really expecting it to :)

26. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My current CD player is the Yamaha CDX496 . It retailed at £180 when new. I got it from RS for £90. The reason I bought it was because my DVD player (also a Yamaha, the DVD-s796) doesn't play CDR. It does however do 24bit/96kHz and sounds great in DD/DTS. It doesn't do too bad at CD play back either. In fact to be honest it is better than the CD player via analogue. The CD player is good when you bypass the onboard DAC via the digital out, into the AV receiver. Better even than using the analog out to a dedicated stereo amp (In this case the Arcam Alpha 7) Anyway, I was hoping that the Limit would replace both players to free up some space. I imagine it must have a fairly high sampling rate to handle DVD audio? Does anyone have the audeo spec. out of interest?

thanks in advance

Jean_Paul

Thanks for the feed back

Crocodile

27. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the Z1 has a cr@p deinterlacer - a simple line doubler. I was watching Thelma & Louise on mine last night and found the line twitter really distracting. I'm considering upgrading to the Limit to get rid of the problem. On 3 out of the 4 films I've watched since installing my Z1 I've seen twitter or moire at some point - I would be hugely surprised and disappointed if PS doesn't fix those. We shall see...

_

28. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yo

Just to clear something up.
    When I tested Interlaced and PS they were both via component.
    Obviously there is a huge difference between svideo and component.

John

29. timoth999

timoth999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just bought one of this to go with my Sanyo plv30

I agree the picture is really great with the PLV30. It is really stable, colourful and detailed. I don't know what the croma bug is and I do not want to as I cannot fault the picture

Two points I have noted though

1. Progressive and interlaced with component are very similar. I have found interlaced to be more lush with colours so have chosen to stick with interlaced. But it does give a progressive type picture which is very confusing as the picture is so stable and detailed?

2. It has been having difficulty reading some parts of my DVD collection. It pauses and cannot continue. I will have to phone Richer Sounds as these are brand new DVD's that do work with other players

I agree this is a great player and if I can solve the pauses its a great player and I am really surprised at the picture that you can get with this

30. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sort of titles are you having problems with? It would be interesting to find out whether this is a problem with your specific player or the model in general. Since I'm likely to get one tomorrow, it would be interesting to know...

Tx,

_