Limit 9900SE and NEC HT1000 (mini review)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gary Lightfoot, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    I picked up this player from Richer Sounds today until they get some more Toshiba SD520e's in stock. I took the one I had back due to a slight green convergence fault in PAL output. Strange but true.. Otherwise, the 520 is a fantastic machine on a par with the Pioneer I saw feeding the demo HT1000 I saw via component).

I tried the Limit it tonight, and I'm actualy very impressed with it!

I calibrated the white and black levels with Avia, and set the sharpness to zero on the NEC, and was suitably impressed. I didn't have any PAL calibration disks to hand, so although I probably wan't getting true black, it wasn't noticable. I haven't tried any NTSC material yet.

Pal Progressive mode is the best option, and compared to the Philips 963 that I had, the Limit is the better machine. If I hadn't seen the Toshiba, I would be keeping the Limit, that's how good it looks on the HT1000.

I used Titanic (sub diving into the depths in a blue glow of light) to check for posterisation, and there was very little - it's on a par with the Tosh which had hardly any. The Philips did very badly on this test, but I believe that this is because it doesn't calibrate easily - it still comes out quite dark and harsh looking. This probably exascerbates any colour graduations and produces the obvious colour banding I kept seeing.

The image of the 9900SE isn't quite as sharp or 'creamy' looking as the Toshiba, but it's quite bright and easy on the eye, with little or no mosquito noise. very surprising for cheap machine.

I had seen a kind of contour line posterisation effect with the Philips machine with skin tones in faces, and the Tosh had done a similar thing, but considerably less. The Limit didn't produce anything like that at all.

The Tosh has a 54hz 10bit dac with anti-alias filter which can render 540 lines of resolution. I don't know what DAC the Limit uses, but the book says it can resolve greater than 450 lines, so that explaines the softer look.

Even so, for just £150 this machine can produce a great image that will belie it's price.

With Richer Sounds great 30 day money back policy, you can't lose, so if you're looking for a player for your projector, why not try this one?

If you have an NEC HT1000, I would reccommend the Toshiba SD520e which to my eye produced the best image of all three machines, even in interlaced, though the NTSC progressive was better over all.

Gary.

2. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Hi Gary

Nice review

I have this Limit also and it has given me the best picture also so far, after trying many different DVD players

Can I ask that you still think the Toshiba 520e in PAL interlaced mode is better than the Limit? ( not in NTSC progressive mode )

I have tried many interlaced DVD players, sony 7700, Philips 962sa and they both were useless when linked to a projector, the picture being really poor

Thanks

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Hi z....

When connected to the HT1000, which has Faroudja DCDi prcessing, I found the Toshiba to give the better image of the 3, though not by a huge amount over the Limit.

What projector do you have? Some have poor internal scalers/processing, so progresive scan will remove the scan lines and give a better image for them. That could be why the Limit gives the better image in your case.

Gary

4. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Hi

I have a Sanyo PLV30.

I don't think it has the same scaling as the Faroudja you have

But I get a very good picture with the Limit even in interlaced mode

I have never tried a Toshiba, but heard they were good players

But anything near the Limits picture I would be interested in viewing

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Thd Tosh has the higher rated DAC by the looks of it, so should be able to render a higher res image. This does appear to be the case from the images I saw.

You may get a better picture via pro scan with your pj, which means that you may get an inferior image using interlaced. The Tosh only does NTSC pro scan, so may not be a better solution, despite the higher res picture.

You can always buy a 520 from Richer Sounds, and return it if you don't think it's better. They have a 30 day no quibble returns policy, so provided you keep everything looking new so it's resellable for them, you should be able to return it.

At least you'll be able top compare them then.

Gary.