1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limit 900SE vs SD340 / 575

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stuart.Ainslie, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Stuart.Ainslie

Stuart.Ainslie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was looking at getting either a Pio 575 or Tosh 340e but have seen good things posted about the Limit players.

How would the DVD quality of the Limit compare against the other two when being fed via component into a Pana PW7 panel ?

Not concerned with DivX etc - Mainly DVD and a small amount of audio..

Thanks...

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I have no direct experience of the Pioneer 575 or Toshiba 340. However I can make a comparision between the earlier Toshiba 330 and my Limit and the Limit absolutely massacres the 330. My Limit copes far better with a wide range of formats and media, has far superior audio quality (more detailed), has a much cleaner image with vibrant colours and no artifacts (not saying its got more picture detail though). Copes far better with low bit rate dvds (my 330 was hopeless in this regard). I'm using a AE100 projector (858x484 resolution). From what I've read the 340 is similar to the 330 at least for the dvd drive which is generally not great.

The thing about the Limit is your buying a dvd player that is now an older model based on older electronics. However the electronics in question are the highly regarded zoran vaddis 5 chipset as used by many Arcams. The Limit has undergone a a second manufacturing/tuning process where the psu circuit has been improved as well as other modfications and adjustments. The end result is a mid range model that is now a year or so old that has undergone electronic improvements designed by Cyrus. It is not a feature packed player by current model standards.

The Pioneer 575 and Toshiba 340 are models of the current generation. More features and functionality, but inferior construction. However the mediatek 1389 chipset is bound to have some technical improvements over the zoran as its a generation later.

Personally I think your choice should be between the Limit and Pioneer. I can see no reason to opt for the Toshiba. The Pioneer is at least as good picture wise, has greater features and a better dvd drive. You'll curse yourself if you go for the Toshiba and keep getting occasionally picture pauses or annoyingly slow layer changes. These sort of things ruin the movie experience.

3. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My Limit suffers from sticking/freezing on some of my dvd-r back-ups.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Well I've not encountered that on my Limit. I suppose this depends on the dvd-rs/recorder in question. However my old Toshiba 330 suffered major pausing problems at times on non scratched, fresh out of the wrapper commercial dvds. Thats really my point. How is your Limit for commercial dvds?

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I can vouch for the 575 via component. even beats my Sammy 745 via DVI.

One of the strengths of the Pio is its flexibility in the menu system, lots of things to tweak including (importantly) sharpness - set to fine and the PQ is stunning.

SACD / DVD-A performance is good too.

Build quality is not high on the agenda, yes it's lightweight but you don't get a sense that it's going to fall apart or anything like that.

Haven't found a disc yet it couldn't cope with, but fair to say I don't frequent recordable stuff.

Overall it's a :thumbsup:

...PJ

6. Stuart.Ainslie

Stuart.Ainslie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, sounds like the 340e is discounted then....

I'll wait for a few more comments on the 900SE vs 575a debate before flashing the plastic.....

7. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    was yours an 800 or a 900? my old 800 started to freeze and pop the soundtrack.

8. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dvda900

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Generally most dvd players have some issues with dvd-rs and other copied dvd media. There are postings from users experiencing this with the Pioneer 575 and Toshiba 340. The 340 postings tend to be more extreme with dvd-rs often not recognised at all instead of merely skipping. If your planning to buy a dvd player to use an extensive range of copied dvd media your not going to be choosing any of these models as some of the cheaper chinese brand models are better at reading media like this. PC drives generally are a step up again in compatibility. I have a cheap AMW P80L dvd player, Skyworth Divx player and recently got a cheap free akura model of screenselect. All three offer better media compatibility than higher priced brands I've encountered. I have some real crappy early dvd-r copies. The type that will only just read in a pc drive. The Sharp DV-740H is my best dvd player at reading copied media but the cheapies come a close second. The advantage the cheap dvd players have is often they play discs at upto 4x speed so if they get a read error they have time to reread it and so no onscreen pause. Something like the Toshiba 330 only plays dvds at the standard 1x so if theres an error there simply is no time to reread it and you get an onscreen pause or glitch. Many japanese players are 1x only readers and this is why they don't cope well with copied media. Even japanese players made very cheaply by low cost chinese factories are still 1x only.

10. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    also the 340 get so hot you could fry an egg on it. FACT!*

*Not actual fact. :D

11. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Now you come to mention it my 330 also got staggeringly hot which isn't surprising as it was so small with very little depth at the back. Ideal for shelf mounting (if it worked well).

12. aditya

aditya
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,

can anyone please let me know which of these players (Tosh, Pioneer, Limit) are capable of converting NTSC to PAL 60?

Thanks !!!