1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limit 900se tuned by cyrus.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by abnett26247, Jan 3, 2005.

1. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been told this is the best (for my small buget) for playing both music dvd and what is important to me cd as well.? can any kind person confirm this or not ? also how about its piture is it good enough , if this player is not so good what do you sugest, i can get the Limit for £100, special offer they say. abnett26247. :lease:

2. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the limit 9900se tuned by cyrus for sale in hardware (£60) so let me know if you are interested

In my opinion its a good alround player but cant answer your question to whether its the best in that price region :)

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,240
    Hi abnett26247, welcome to the forums.

We have dedicated forums for all types of questions you might have. This question is more suited to the DVD Player forum, rather than the one you posted in which was DVD Talk (which is just for discussing DVD discs etc, not hardware).

Moving to DVD Player forum.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I didn't think the 9900se was cyrus tuned. Richer Sounds have been reported as selling them for as low as £25! I don't think they'd have to sell them for that sort of money if they were cyrus tuned. The cheapest Cyrus tuned versions are at play.com who have the 800 for £79.99 delivered.

I'm not knocking the 9900se as it seems like a nice player and wouldn't mind one myself. If I had a Richer Sounds nearby I'd probably pick one up but I don't. However its not got the uprated caps and other components in the psu and audio stage like the DVD800SE and DVD900SE I think. Besides the 9900se is fairly old as it came out the end of 2002 where as the Cyrus tuned model was the end of 2003 I think.

5. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    play.com are now selling limit800/900SE for under £100

6. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It seems i may have mixed up the model number somewhere along the line :blush:

Its a DVDA900 and its definately tuned by cyrus as it has the cyrus badge and was bought from this forums when a certain chap had them on offer for £150 :)

Has dvd audio and progressive scan

Its sold now so sorry to bother you :)

7. Paul97

Paul97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Abnett 26247
    I have the Limit 900 that you are talking about, I've had it since Feb 04 and have to say the CD sound is Veryyy Good indeed. I did by this player for the progressive scan output for PAL/NTSC. The build quality is good and I do like the set up on the remote that lets you alter the picture (sharpness,colour,brightness & contarst) without going into the main menu.

Regards

Paul

8. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks paul and all the people who answered .The model is 900 from play they also have the 800 BOTH cyrus tuned they say , for £80 and £i00 ive orderd one, hope it lastsfor a bit till i can save for a decent universal player , looked at the pioneer 575 is it ? but so cheap /plastic looking imhoi ,hope the limit will do for now? thanks all again abnett263247 :hiya:

9. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks paul any one know about the picture please.

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    The Limit players are also fairly low cost chinese players originally but tuned up to give far superior audio than they were originally capable of. I bought ted26's player and hope to get it in the next few days.

I've been using a AMW P80L with my projector and 5.1 headphones and frankly the audio on it is poor. Like the current Toshiba and Pioneer models its mediatek based. Its not very compatible with my DVD Audio discs either and AMW don't seem to be bothering to update the firmware to cure it. Its audio is fine or at least better via optical but of course I can't use my 5.1 headphones or dvd audio discs like that.

I'm a big fan of Cyrus stuff too after hearing a demonstration many years ago but could never afford the real deal so this is the nearest I'm going to get to it. Just to see the Cyrus label will be nice.

11. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I've now got my Limit 900SE and I'm struggling to think of anyone negative about it. As is well known there is no standby function but thats not an issue for me as I have to get up to turn off the projector which has a 2 minute cooling off period in standby and then I can finally turn it off properly.

I've looked inside (its secondhand so no warranty issues not that I saw any seals anyway) and its based on a Zoran Vaddis 5 chipset. Construction is very good all round. Nice old style psu board with meaty looking capacitors. Its heavy and a real stunner to look at. The display built in is very nice but single colour with a very attractive blue effect.

The setup menu works very well with lots of good logical settings, very easy to setup. In stop mode setup brings up the comprehensive menu but in play mode just a set of picture options. You can't toggle between pal/ntsc or interlace/progressive when playing dvds you have to hit stop first but it can be in stop/resume mode.

The picture quality with my AE100 is simply fantastic. Super clean and grain free with beautiful natural colours. I can't really comment fairly on detail too much as my projector doesn't have amazing resolution but theres as much detail as any other player connected to the projector but no noticable increase in detail. Its a very realistic image and very impressive. There is a noticable increase in image quality when switching from interlace to progressvie. In pal progressive mode where you get objects with diagonal lines you can see stepping effect of losing about 1 in 6 lines going down the screen. Its a limitation of my projector which loses about 15% of all detail with pal dvds. Perhaps its a compliment to the Limit that the clarity of the image makes this so easy to see as a more blurry soft image would hide it more. Its only noticable sometimes. I've not investigated the audio side as yet but picture performance is honestly the best I've seen with regards component connections to my AE100, only my Kiss DP-450 can match it and that can only do so using the VGA connection.

To be honest the Limit player has so far exceeded my expectations. I was expecting it to look a bit cheap and picture performance to be ok to good with only audio performance excelling. However its a real classy looking bit of hardware and picture performance is superb. Audio performance so far seems equally impressive but I've not done much in the way of comparisions yet to fully judge it.

12. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Does antone know if this player is capable of playing SACD?

13. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi dazed&confused :)

I have a DVDA900SE - it's capable of playing DVD audio, but not SACD.

14. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks sismund. That's a shame, but what I expected.