Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Limit 900 V's Pioneer 575

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul97, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Paul97

Paul97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi
    I have the limit player but I am thinking of changing to the pio, I don't listen to a lot of CD's (which it plays really well) but do watch a lot of DVD's, any thoughts on PQ between the two. :thumbsup:

Paul

2. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the pioneer575, as you say the Limit is better at audio dutys than most players out there, tuned by cyrus,thats one reason i bought the limit and returned the pioneer , but the other and important to me reason was that the pioneer had jaggies and an often unstable picture through my hitachie 36ins tv, never had this problem before with my older marantz dvd player and the new Limit 900se. In fact the Limit has a great picture and better audio for cd and film audio dont forget there is plenty of music in dvd as well, so no contest ,all in my opinion though,Ive seem others have had problems with the pioneer in the forums with other makes of tv, but most of those with plasma reported no such problems, must say the Limit seems better built imho than the pioneer anouther reason i felt it had to be returned, and im 100% sure i made the right decision cant believe the great sound and picture of the Limit 900se for £100, Abnett. All in my humble opinion of course. :thumbsup:

3. Paul97

Paul97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    thanks for the reply abnet. I have an Hitachi palsma tv and was wondering if the Limit was up to the job on PQ for such a large display, I have had 3/4 DVD players over the years but they have all been of the budget type, and with spending a lot of hard earned cash on a large display it seems to me that I should spend a little more and get soemthing better but what?

Paul

4. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Hello Paul.
    I have a Hitachi Plasma too.
    I've tried a few different players and recorders and in every case found the picture to be better with an interlaced signal. Progressive looks softer to me.
    I don't know whether this is unique to Hitachi/Alis panels or a feature of prog scan.

I haven't tried any top of the range stuff, but tried the 340E (returned, because the PQ wasn't as good as the 220E it was supposed to replace).
    I also have the Momitsu upscaling player, E55 and Gx300. They all look better outputting interlaced (IMO).

Hope this helps.

5. Paul97

Paul97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Mray
    I have switched between Int/De int. PQ and can't seem to see any difference, you say interlaced pictures are better.

Paul

6. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    That's how it looks to me. Progressive just looks a bit blurred.
    I've read similar opinions on the Hitachi (it prefers an interlaced signal), but it's what your own eyes tell you that counts!

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I don't think the Pioneer 575 is an upgrade on the Limit unless you want SACD or divx playback. The Pioneer 575 is practically an all chinese design using a chinese designed dvd decoding chip and of course full chinese production. The only thing japanese about it is the brand name and the styling. I think people who have bought a 575 and have owned an actual Pioneer model of the past will be disappointed with the construction of it. What I also find curious is in the past when mediatek chipsets were only available in the very cheapest dvd players they were looked down upon as a cheap dvd solution but now that japanese brands are using them like Toshiba and Pioneer they get rave reviews. Although Mediatek chipsets like the 1389 produce a lot of picture detail they are still a bit crude for sound reproduction and have a lot of rough edges which you expect for a product sold at the very lowest prices. You find the same 1389 chipset in the very cheapest £20 dvd players, however the very cheap models have limited ram, cache and lower mhz speed. It seems once mediatek start making a new chipset like the 1389 they quickly stop production of the 1379. I bought a skyworth from whsmiths and that is 1389 based does divx/xvid and works a treat although the remote is a bit directionally and that was less than £25. Like the Pioneer it has bags of detail in the image and both will share the same reference core firmware but the Limit's picture is far cleaner with more realistic colours and fluid movement at all times. The Limit just seems in a class above. Its possible that the Pioneer will have better colour/contrast than the skyworth but the actual picture detail is set by the 1389 itself.

I'd like to know which company makes the Pioneer 575 in china. I believe the Toshiba 330 was made by goldyip and I suspect the 340 is also made by them but who makes the 575 would be interesting to know.

8. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all that info ,i thought the pioneer was a cheap make under the pioneer badge, bought it to match my pioneer VSx 1014, (one killer reciever IMHO) but goes to show it might match but how does it sound and how does it feel all important issues of course. I know it is a cheap player but its constuction is no better than some supermarket players ,and a multiplayer it might be but i believe the future will be dvd recorders that play decently and the stand alone player will be an oddity imho of course, so the ideal for me at the moment was a well made dvd player that is inexpensive does both great picture and audio untill the dvd recorders advance to be able to play as well as they can record. so the Limit 900 se is a no brainer indeed(.unless you want sacd of course?)I dont i can manage with DVD A.for now. Abnett. :)

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Guys.
    I'm not in a position to compare the 575 to the Limit, but I am in a position to compare it to the Cambridge Audio DVD79. The CA was built like a tank, packaged beautifully etc etc. But the pics via component were inferior to my existing Pio 525, hence I swapped it for the Pio 575 and the pics from this machine are fantastic. I project to an 82" screen. No jaggies. No artifacts. No nothing, other than an pristine, beautiful, clear picture. And it plays everything you throw at it, including SACD (and the sound is superb on all modes).
    I agree it weighs less than my bulkier 525, I wouldn't say the "build quality" is inferior though. Weight isn't everything.
    The Limit looks a nice machine, but just because of one experience (Abnett you may have had a duff machine) doesn't mean that the 575 is anything less than one of the (IMHO *the*) best value for money DVD player around at the moment...PJ

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    There are lots of people that have had issues with the Pioneer 575 with regards picture quality, build quality and sound performance though. You only have to look around these forums to read them. The Limit is also not without critiscism too of course. Neither are perfect. I think it would be a fair to say that the Pioneer is not highly regarded for audio reproduction and is merely ok in this regard. The general picture performance is very detailed thanks to some pretty keen features in the mediatek 1389 chipset and the reference firmware. I think the deinterlacer/progressive circuitry does have some issues though. The dvd drive fitted to the 575 does seem to be far superior to that of the Toshiba 340. The audio jitter ratings on the Pioneer are quite high and much higher than the earlier 565 which shows there are issues probably with the psu or main pcb with regards timing. Jitter normally equals loss of information and detail with regards compressed audio like dd/dts soundtracks and with audio cds severely reduces audio quality with the actual pitch of the sound warbling/distorting due to audio cds directly converting the bitstream read of the cd to analogue audio.

The Limit has the old style transformer based psu with upgraded caps to give a smoother power delivery which in turn means the dvd drive has less jitter and also the psu can cope much better with variations in demand for current. Add to this the Limit has improvements in the main pcb to improve the dynamics and quality of the sound and you have a player that does very well with regards audio especially audio cds.

The Zoran Vaddis 5 chipset seems to be the chipset to use in dvd players with high quality audio cd output and certainly is well used by Arcam models.

Its obvious the Pioneer has the superior specification in what it can actually do and definitely wins on versatility. All the Limit can offer over the Pioneer is improved audio quality and a picture which is probably less detailed but more refined generally.

All I can say is I bought the Limit and have been stunned by the quality of it from day one. I've bought and tried loads of different dvd players but I think the Limit is the first one that hasn't had issues. I don't mind the built in display brightness I actually think it looks really nice. I'm not bothered by the lack of standby as I've got to get up anyway to switch off the projector when I've finished.

11. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you try the Cambridge Audio DVD79 through the DVI out? If so, I would be interested to hear how you found it - it seems to be only one of three DVI budget players around at the moment (with the Denon 1910 and the Samsung 745).

Anyone any ideas on the build quality and audio of the Denon 1910 generally compared to something like the Limit?

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    No I didn't try the DVI, I decided to swap for the 575 and use component (which was an upgrade for me anyway - I'd been using S-video previously) rather than shell out another significant amount of money on the DVI lead (I'd need a 12m lead).

You're right, looking around the 3 players you mention seem to be the options at this price range. I've heard some positive comments about the DVD79 via DVI but there always seems to be a downside, especially at that sort of length of cable. I'll probably stick with what I have until either HD takes off, or a budget Pio appears with DVI. ;) ...PJ