Likelihood of a Logitech z5500 replacement

ethangk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Seeing as the z-5500s have been around for a good few years, has anyone heard about a refresh in the works, as I don't really want to buy them with a replacement product round the corner. I know companies are often quite about this kind of thing, but if anyone has heard anything, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

ethangk

Not heard of any replacements coming soon, but I'd wonder why anyone would buy them in the first place?

For a few quid more you could have a proper seperates system like this:
Onkyo HTS3305 Black | 5.1 Package System with HDMI inc. Speakers exc. DVD player | Richer Sounds

With this you'd get a much better sound, the latest sound processing, HDMI 1.4 in case you want a 3D TV in the future, and you'd get HD audio from Blu-ray. If you were buying them just to hook up to a computer you could still do that with the Onkyo. Bit of a no-brainer IMHO.

£75 more, which if it was completely future proof I could justify, I just don't really see why its that much better than the z-5500. Do you have experience with either/both?

I don't really intend on getting a blu-ray player, if my next console has one in that would be nice but I watch all my media through my computer, and the only other thing which would be hooked up to the speakers is my 360.

I just had a look at the back, how would I hook it up to my computer, which only has 3.5mm ports

Last edited:
£75 more, which if it was completely future proof I could justify, I just don't really see why its that much better than the z-5500. Do you have experience with either/both?

I don't really intend on getting a blu-ray player, if my next console has one in that would be nice but I watch all my media through my computer, and the only other thing which would be hooked up to the speakers is my 360.

I just had a look at the back, how would I hook it up to my computer, which only has 3.5mm ports

I have experience of the z-5500's. All I can say about them is they are loud, but unrefined. If all you're ever going to use them for is your computer and 360, they'll be fine. They offer a reasonable musical ability, but the subwoofer isn't very good (when I say this, it is VERY bassy, too boomy). My neighbour has them and he likes them, but they're not a patch compared to my separates. I haven't heard the Onkyo, but they will definately be an improvement over the z-5500's. As for not being futureproof, the Onkyo has the very latest technology, so it's the most you're gonna get in the form of futureproofing. Technology moves very quickly, so you just have to take the plunge sometime??

You'd need a sound card capable of 5.1 surround sound to hook it up to the computer.

Last edited:
I like bassy :)

What do you mean by the latest tech, I don't have much experience with sound equipment, what does it have that the z-5500 doesn't?

My current card has 3 3.5mm out (which works fine with my logitech x540 and the z-5500), would I need a card with optical or something?

Also I couldn't find any info on the sub in the Onkyo?

I like bassy :)

What do you mean by the latest tech, I don't have much experience with sound equipment, what does it have that the z-5500 doesn't?

My current card has 3 3.5mm out (which works fine with my logitech x540 and the z-5500), would I need a card with optical or something?

Also I couldn't find any info on the sub in the Onkyo?

To connect via the 3 3.mm outs you need cables that split the 3.mm out's into 2 RCA plugs. Then straight into the amp. The latest tech is the HD audio offered, and the ability to decode all the latest codecs (sounding like a newbie coz I am to a degree).

Boomy should not be confused with bassy. Boomy just does not sound good as it is flappy and all over the place. If you like bass then you should be looking for a more controled bass which will be ultimately more satisfying. You will also be missing alot of mids with the Logitech speakers. The logitechs also have reliability issues with the control unit. In all I would steer well clear of them. I do not have the z5500s but have a Logitech 2.1 system on my computer and no matter how much I fiddle with them I can just not get them to sound good. The z5500s may be better in this repect but for the money would always prefer a proper separates system.

Last edited:
I bought the Logitech Z5500 system two or three years ago and it stopped working after about a week so I packed it all up and returned it for a refund. After that I did some research on the internet and found many other tales relating to poor reliability. After that I bought a Quad Lite 5.1 speaker system; a lot more money but well worth it imho.

Geoff.

I bought the Logitech Z5500 system two or three years ago and it stopped working after about a week so I packed it all up and returned it for a refund. After that I did some research on the internet and found many other tales relating to poor reliability. After that I bought a Quad Lite 5.1 speaker system; a lot more money but well worth it imho.

Geoff.

A LOT more money being the main point here. But the Quad Lite 5.1's are superb.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom