1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Like a virgin, Tosh'd for the very first time.....

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jfw, Dec 19, 2002.

1. jfw

jfw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

getting approval from my wife to get a new Home Cinema TV proved to be the first of my problems.....

getting approval to spend and choosing a TV that is actually allowed into the house, size, colour, expense, clash with wallpaper etc are as many of you will know 2 completely different things....

I already own a Tosh 220E DVD, so what to match it to......probably a Tosh tv due to component video, I have had a number in the past and I have one now and have had no problems, so.....

As a HC virgin I started out with a few months reading the usual suspect mags which put me onto the Tosh Picture Frame 2ZP18 - and my wife liked the look of it. However a seach on this site has given me some reservations....but are they well founded ?

Onto another choice with good reviews the 32ZD26, but I hate the stand...and it is a lot bigger TV (so the wife may not give final approval) and I will need a seperate sound system.....

A bit of research on this forum leads to a few questions, choices and the point of this thread.

So to the point - question: based on using the TV for the odd DVD for myself and my wife, but mostly for movies for the children, is it worth spending extra money on a seperate TV and sound system or will an all-in-one like the 32ZP18 do the job ?

Also am I right in focusing on a component video compatible TV, will I really be able to tell the difference between that and scart ?

If I go for seperate TV and sound, should I go for an integrated system like the Evo P5, or for seperates (Yamaha 630RDS + mission m72 cinema speakers)......

thx for bearing with me through this ramble, but the longer I spend researching the further I go down a rabbit hole, us virgins can be very hard work

Look forward to some answers

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound quality wise, even modest budget amp and speaker set ups will normally trounce the TVs audio system. Someone like Richer Sounds can hook you up for virtually beer money these days. Certainly the difference in price between a nicam stereo and multi-channel TV will put you half way towards a half decent little system.

Not sure how old your children are but are they really likely to notice/care whether you're running RGB SCART, Component, S-video or even composite as long as they can see a colour picture?
    Component should be slightly better than RBG SCART but there's not much in it if you're running a 32" without prog scan from your DVD player.

3. jfw

jfw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juboy, Thanks for the advice - the children are 5 and 2 so you are right, they won't notice any difference.....

I'll go down the seperates route and see where I get to....anyone got any suggestions on a good budget kit for around £1000....

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course, there are a number of decent products around that price point but some to consider would be:

Amps -
    Denon 1803 (around £350 online http://www.avland.co.uk/denon/avr1803/)
    Marantz SR5200 (around £335 http://www.netelectronics.co.uk/marantz_avreceivers.htm)
    Yamaha RX-V630 (around £380 http://www.avland.co.uk/yamaha/rxv630/

All offer 6.1 capabilities :)

Either one of the above would leave you around £550 towards speakers -

Tannoy mx-av4 package at around £500
    AE Aegis package two at around £600
    Or maybe look at the Kef Coda range.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

5. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to say welcome, and that this feels like deja vu. I was where you are some two months ago.

Be assured you will get lots of advice and opinions, most of which are good - the trick I suppose is to sift out those that are not-so. (That's not a side-swipe at Juboy, as his advice has seemed OK to me :p

The ZD26 vs ZP18, and the all-in-one vs seperates are difficult choices at first. the ZP18 certainly has style and convenience (saving lots of time) but the ZD26 + seperates delivers excellant pictures & sound.

BTW, the Tosh SD 220 does have component out but not progressive scan. So you must judge whether you will upgrade at some future date to benefit from that one of the ZD26's features, which as it happens is only available in NTSC, and therefore not with Region 2 DVDs.

ditton

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have had the Tosh for 18 months now and am still happy with the sound quality from the supplied speakers which also have the advantage of being discrete.

The styling alone makes this tv worth purchasing as it seems much smaller than others of the same screen size, and you are not precluded from addong a seperate systenm later anyway.

7. BillyNomez

BillyNomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being a newbie too have experienced the dillema of what to buy.
    Liked the picture frame Toshiba's but never saw a demo'ed one that impressed, various threads also swayed my opinion somewhat. Yup, dont like the newer ZD stands either so got a Panny TX32ph40.

Run a 630rds amp and B+W speakers and very happy with it all, enough power and clarity for average family home, seperates have to be a better option than TV+speaker all-in-one combo's IMHO. Package speaker sets can be good ( kef eggs ) but I was adding to existing hifi setup.
    Have same DVD - 220e - and run scart to back of set, very good pic and more than good enough for the family without getting into purist technical points, dont use component out option as PS2 currently set up for this where noticeable improvement in pic seen, guess DVD would have some improvement if routed this way but how much ? Well...
    It's all very subjective, filter what you read and check that negative thoughts dont come from just one or two sources who are unlucky enough to have had a bad experience. The better half and kids will notice a difference with even a modest outlay.
    BR ;)

8. jfw

jfw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies - it's good to hear good experiences rather than just the ones that try and put you off.........now I am back at work after a very long christmas break I can get back to following the forum......

A quick visit to the sales with my wife conformed her absolute preference for the pic frame tosh so I may well jump in now and upgrad the sound in the future....having seen them for around £1000 for the 32" version imagine my amazement when it was up at £1450 in Dixons, an amazing difference even for internet vs high street.

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll find that with pretty much everything AV related. My new TV cost a whopping £600 less online than I'd (never) have paid at my
    local Dixons/Currys/Comet.

10. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree on the price difference.
    i recently bought the 32inch tosh from the net at £990.
    and have seen this in the high street approaching £1500.

im well pleased with the set.
    i chose this set because of the size.
    a similar 32inch set would have masses of horid plastic surrounding it. taking up far more space.

mind u the colour defaults may not impress
    when u first turn it on.
    have a play to get the best image quality.

it nice looking and i am pleased with both sound and picture.
    when comparing to a tradional set

although sound wise, now i have the bug i want better
    and will be upgd too amp and speakers asap.

Brian.....

11. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are absolutely right.

I'm really not sure what Tosh were thinking when they set up the default picture modes on their new TVs as they are so awful as to be unwatchable without serious amendments. The contrast is set to +100 (100%)?!?

It scares me to think how many people will simply watch it like that straight out of the box and never set things up properly.

For quick info, the contrast on the new Tosh sets really shouldn't be set above 55 or 60 maximum.

12. jfw

jfw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like a couple of people at least have had good views of the 32ZP18 - I'd be interested to hear if the long talked about problems are mainly related to the 36" rather than the 32" -- any views....

p.s. Juboy - notice we share the same first name - based on prior experience I'm guessing you would be a child of the mid to late sixties.....

13. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost, I'm a 70s kid :)

14. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to throw something in to the pot.

I've got the 36ZP and have always been delighted/amazed with the picture and very happy with the sound.

Last week I bought a seperate subwoofer for it (based on advice here) and it has transformed the 'experience'. The only thing for me that was lacking was the quality of the built in sub - and that's no criticism becasue the speaker must only be a couple of inches so what do you expect.

If you buy this TV spend a hundred quid on a sub and you've got yourself sound that is as good as any budget to mid-range seperates system but with convenience.

Cheers
    OG

15. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The set is set up to look its best under showroom lighting conditions.

If you do a search among posts from about 18 months ago there were many threads about which were the best settings.

Consensus was to select picture mode 3 and than adjust to taste. Picture mode 1 and 2 have selcted options which cannot otherwise be changed by the user, which are off in mode 3. Once adjusted this becomes the manually settings that the set starts up with.

For the record I am still happy with my 36" set and there were no appreciable differences in quality between the 32" and 36" sets.

They all have the same problem of grey at the sides and black in the centre on dark screens due to the glass on the tube front being much thicker at the edges, and 2 very faint vertical bars visible on light monocoloured screen each side about 2" in and 2" wide, probably caused by diffraction effects. If these can be lived with, in every other aspect the set is superb.

16. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the theory, but what percentage of TVs actually end up in that scenario? And, even under those conditions, does 100% contrast REALLY look better?

I know the (slight) reasoning behind it but I still think Tosh were mad to do it that way.