Lik Sang shut down by MS

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Respectamonkeee, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    1.outstanding order not recieved

2. need to send back one item that doesnt work

£50 down the loo, last time i buy from abroad

3. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    No point in blaming LS if they have been shut down. Blame MS instead.

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    lol, been through this on gaming hardware board. There are very split opinions..
    and for the record rumour suggests that Nintendo could have started the action due to the amount of GBA back-up units they sold..

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No blame LS... MS have every right to protect their brand.

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Exactly, Lik-Sang are 110% to blame for their own downfall.

7. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
  8. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cant blame hardware manafactures trying to protect there investment....

but i am glad lik-sang are back as there good importers

9. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,500
    Excuse me, Mr. Pottymouth but my finger is staying exactly where it is. As a computer programmer of some 15 years experience and a hobbyist PC builder I have battled against the rubbish that is MS products for what seems like an eternity.
    For example, if it weren't for shabby programming, there wouldn't have been the security loopholes in Outlook which allowed viruses to spread so virulently.
    Why do you think Internet Explorer was so good? Because MS had competition to beat in the form of Netscape.
    It's competition which makes people strive to create better products. MS have a competitionless monopoly which is why their software is so damn poor.
    I take offense at your comment as you and I both have very good cause to 'blab' (as you so blindly put it) at and about MS.

10. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Anyway, Lik-Sang are now re-open for business (minus development tools. :mad: )

11. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this isn't the thread to talk about MS specifically but I agree with Spectre, the OS and their programs are often poor... Outlook being a massive example of how not to secure emails safely. With the amount of security patches on the MS website you would have to update your PC almost everyday to be on the safe side until "Longhorn" comes out then all of us will be royally screwed with their power hungry plans (MS would have a form of remote control over every file on your PC... Done from a hardware level. Sounds like fun -_- ).

Back on topic, I've never had a problem with Lik-sang at all with all of my orders and I'm glad that they are back. They have certain rare-ish items that I am interested in and as for "development" and "initialising" hardware... They can be found elsewhere and I think most peeps know where to look.

12. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spectre

The only piece of MS software i've ever had a problem with was windows ME (which fair enough was especially poor), all their other stuff is intuitive, user friendly and powerful. People (read computer programmers) just fire shots at Microsoft cos they're the biggest target! When you've started out in your garage, created a multi-billion dollar empire, driven PC development for years and then on top of that created flawless software that couldn't possibly attract criticism... then maybe you'd be in a position to criticise MS and Gates.

13. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm... Think I'll just buy a Mac now <wg> I like the OS actually but wished they would up the spec a bit more... As for Windows M.E... God awful OS IMO.

14. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not that I want to get into an MS/anti MS debate... but...

I do think people sometimes forget how truly massive an organisation MS is... and therefore they have both good and bad people/procedures from top to bottom...

Security has unquestionably been given the wrong priority thus far... and we can only hope that with the activities started this year, all products released from this point forth will be more secure in future. Not that I expect products to be released flawless... thats just not realistic...

But I do worry that people who scream that ALL MS software is bad are just not living in the real world... a reasonable number of their products are very good... and continue to get better...

Those of us who deal with IT infrastrutures day in day out (quite a few I would imagine) know that Unix/etc can be just as troublesome and insecure as Windows...

Its just that when someone discovers a flaw in an SSL subsystem on Unix... it isnt screamed from the hilltops...

The trick is to know what software is appropriate for what situation...

Mark.

15. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,500
    Sorry to be marginally breaking my own rules, but you're talking crap.
    1) Unless you've ever tried to develop software using MS products or non MS products on MS operating systems then you simply aren't qualified to comment.
    2) You don't have to have done something to be able to criticise it. E.g. I bet you have considered certain films to be crap. Using your argument, you can shut the hell up until you've MADE a successful film yourself.

16. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VintageMark, yeah I agree that not all MS software is all that bad but then there is room for improvement and I just feel that MS hasn't done quite enough to do just that. I am running Wink2k Pro which is obviously a Microsoft product but I'm very happy with the OS.. Going to try Server soon but thats another matter...

Thing is most of us are not experts in the field but tend to follow trends and we're all guilty of this. I'm no programmer (I'm just starting out on C++ ::sob:: ) but the argument here has been taken at two angles and we just need to remember that - From a consumer and from a programmers/technicians point of view. Both would have very different sets of knowledge and logic when it comes to problems and its apparent here. I've been involved in quite a few myself (ask Dom H <g>) but at the end of the day its opinions from two schools of thought... Unless of course the person in question is a programmer then I would like to see this come to a conclusion since I don't think I'll ever become a programmer myself but I'm interested nevertheless. ^_^

Also with "Longhorn" Microsoft are planning something huge and it'll be interesting how the company will handle the pressure from the public and experts alike...

17. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    Posted by Spectre:-

Excuse me, Mr. Pottymouth but my finger is staying exactly where it is. As a computer programmer of some 15 years experience and a hobbyist PC builder I have battled against the rubbish that is MS products for what seems like an eternity.
    For example, if it weren't for shabby programming, there wouldn't have been the security loopholes in Outlook which allowed viruses to spread so virulently.
    Why do you think Internet Explorer was so good? Because MS had competition to beat in the form of Netscape.
    It's competition which makes people strive to create better products. MS have a competitionless monopoly which is why their software is so damn poor.
    I take offense at your comment as you and I both have very good cause to 'blab' (as you so blindly put it) at and about MS.

[email protected] then..:D

this post was about MS and lik-sang. The issue was about MS protecting their intellectual property rights (along with other companies) with regards to consoles and has nothing to do with PCs. I posted with regards to people shouting their mouths off about MS when they didn't know the full story yet people jumped the gun and started slagging MS off for apparently taking action.
    If you didn't like the post then don't reply to it. I can't say I'm too bothered about whether you 'care' for my post but at least it was in context and I didn;t hurl warrantless abuse at anyone, unlike your outburst which doesn't belong on this thread..

Thankyou..:)

18. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now who's Mr Pottymouth? but your reply was exactly what I'd expect from a computer geek.
    As a computer USER I've very rarely had cause to complaint about a MS product... if software developers have a problem with MS I couldn't really care less, that's their problem (not to mention their job) But don't start speaking for MS users everywhere as the vast majority don't have a problem with MS.

19. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Some elements of MS are good, some are bad.

Competition is not always beneficial. I for one am happy with Win XP, I am not a MS supporter, but it does what I want with minimum fuss.

It is stable, it has a nice GUI and has lots of in-built functionality, which I use. If I was that unhappy I would move to Linux.

Most people in MS are human, and after dealing with many reps from MS (technical support and trainers) sent to my company, they are purely looking to provide the best. Unless they have all been corporate brainwashed :p

Personally, I am not a huge fan of the X-Box (as known by most on these forums), that is a bad MS product. But to purely denounce them as evil is a bit far (although I have done in the past with Windows 95/98 :p).

Development for Windows is getting a lot easier, with many API's around for programmers. I can't see many alternatives there, and if it was that bad surely it wouldn't be that difficult to drum up competition? Or have you got a new OS sitting up your sleeve? Writing an OS is not as easy as it seems.