Lightwaverf Smart Dimmer issue with switched live staying live

James1979

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi - I have a number of lightwaverf sockets and dimmers installed successfully in the house and connected to the hub and app.

I installed a 4 gang smart dimmer in November last year and it has worked perfectly since. 2 nights ago, the lights linked to one of the gangs came on by themselves in the middle of the night and the switch (physical and on app) didn't change its state - the bulbs remained on regardless of the switch status.

The bulbs are compatible and the load is well within range (i.e. more than minimum, less than maximum). The other gangs continue to work as expected.

Having checked the wiring, it seems the switched live for this gang is now permanently live for some reason which is why the bulbs are now permanently on. It's the switched live output immediately next to the constant live line in. If you change the switched live wires between outputs (e.g. put the switched live from Gang 1 into the faulty permanently on one) it also remains on indicating the issue is with the switch, not the wiring. I have taken a short video of the issue here which I've sent to Lightwave for advice but has anyone experienced this before or has any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

James

Nope, that's the first time I've seen that. And those earths need sleeving!
Hopefully LWRF will replace the dimmer for you. They replaced a Connect series for me without trouble years ago.

Hi James, have you managed to find a resolution to this? I came to this forum looking for a fix for the exact same problem. 4 gang switch which has been working fine for 6 months, one of them now stuck permanently live so I can’t turn the lights off in my lounge!

Hi there, I've just experienced the same issue with an L22 2 gang. I switched in another L22 2 gang and it immediately experienced the same fault. Resetting doesn't help. Now both L22s are unusable (ouch, expensive!). I don't suppose you (or anyone else) ever got a resolution on this or found the cause of the issue did you? Mine worked for 4 years and then developed the fault post power cut. The second one I switched it hit the faulted state during auto calibration. I've bought an LP22 to try in the circuit, but each failed attempt is costing £125! So I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before experimenting. My next attempt will be to manually calibrate at a far lower maximum brightness in the hope that another switch won't be fried. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. :)

What's the load? Have you been in contact with Lightwave for support? If this is not an installation or application fault (using it outside of its specifications), I think you have cause to get replacements.

Yep, the fault with mine appears to be something to do with the fact that I'm doing two things outside Lightwave specifications - I'm running 12v led strip drivers rather than 24v and I also have two drivers per gang. Weird thing is that I have this setup on 4 circuits in the house and they have all been fine for 4+ years now. I think this setup is ok as long as you manually calibrate well under the max limit. It seem like the autocalibration is the thing that pushes beyond the limits of the switch and blows them. Next step is to replace the 2 gang and manually calibrate and hopefully this doesn't blow another switch. If it does then I'll need to pull up the flooring upstairs to access the wiring, rewire so that both LED strips run off one driver and replace the strips and driver with 24v equivalents.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom