Lightwaverf delay in switching on

Please keep us up-to-date, will be interesting. I’ve had this outstanding for some time now.
Just in case you didn’t know, you can use automation to ‘default’ the dimming level when you turn a circuit on, and of course tap on again for 100% brightness. I’ve even used this for 2 ’Magic Buttons’ to turn many circuits on to a comfortable level, and press again to go high. My wife is enjoying it and using it regularly.
Still 0% brightness whilst on and the dimming acceleration is annoying, very annoying!

Please keep us up-to-date, will be interesting. I’ve had this outstanding for some time now.
Just in case you didn’t know, you can use automation to ‘default’ the dimming level when you turn a circuit on, and of course tap on again for 100% brightness. I’ve even used this for 2 ’Magic Buttons’ to turn many circuits on to a comfortable level, and press again to go high. My wife is enjoying it and using it regularly.
Still 0% brightness whilst on and the dimming acceleration is annoying, very annoying!

Yes indeed. Any spare buttons (without a load on them)can be used to activate a scene, so this works for now too in a roundabout way.

Re my response - I got a response quickly, but the timeframe is -

As of yet, the only timeframe I can advise is within the next few months or so we hope, I know our developers are working very hard on finalising the firmware update to release it to the public.

Yes, I have 2 non-load dimmers set up this way, one is controlling LIFX lamps with IFTTT as well.

They said a few months in Oct 2019 when I started this thread. I wouldn't trust them.

Best advice I can can give is get rid of them on eBay whilst they're still pricey and buy 3-position retractive switches and Shelly Dimmer 2's, less than half the price of a single Lightwave unit and they work!

So I noticed another weird quirk. Setting lights to x% by name with Alexa doesn’t turn them on. If they are in a room group then they do.
I have so many ‘fix’ automations this is getting a real mess and half the house isn’t even installed yet.

Attachments

• FF4B1D99-7480-46C7-A6ED-92E19BE5B15B.png
    FF4B1D99-7480-46C7-A6ED-92E19BE5B15B.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 56
Ok so something unrelated to this issue but since I’m sure there’s a lot of lightwave users watching this I’d ask here.

I have an unused switch which I’m using for automation.

I have managed to detect switch on, tap on again by doing this.

when on, (and brightness 0) do A
When brightness 100% and on, do B

when off, set brightness to 0.

so when it first turns on the brightness is at 0 so it only does A. When you tap second time brightness goes to 100 so it does B. (Testing for brightness 0 can prevent A triggering again if you don’t want it on double tap).

In my case one tap turns on a small side light on the side of the kitchen for night time when coming down to quickly get a drink etc. Double tap turns on that plus a second brighter side light.

off turns of all kitchen lights. It’s like an all off for the kitchen.

so my question is, is it possible to detect off even of the switch isn’t on?

Currently I can only detect on->off not off->off or a tap of off no matter what.

the reason I would like this is, this switch has to be on for the all-off to work. So to trigger all off currently when this switch isn’t on I have to tap on, off. Which is clunky.

any tricks or is that just not detected at all?

I called them and they said not possible.

however thinking about it, a lot more could be possible doing it this way. This is all on an unused switch that triggers automations so has no real dimming level as such. Granted there would need to be lots of automations, at least one for each direction of state change.

- LED light holds state. We would use say 90% to 100% brightness to store state level so it’s not noticeable, or if you want to display the states you could use different colours instead.

state changes:
- on->off detects state down. If off, we just turn the switch back ON and change its state down a level.

- on->on ie a ON tap while the switch is on detects state UP. We detect this when we see a 100% dimming level, and reset the dimming level to 0 to detect the next round.

The lowest state (off) can actually be the switch on but with LED colour set to red.

what a hack but it would allow you to have many states you could iterate up and down between.

Well that’s annoying, you can’t set LED colour on just one gang :/

So they finally released the new firmware and things seem better. However… the dimming curve, multi press and a bunch of other features are now part of some premium subscription. Yes subscription! Literally WTF, there is no reason it needs to be a subscription, there’s no back end server for them to fund etc, these are core rooms to failed functionality and not some ‘advanced’ extra features.

Also lightwave was never a subscription product and that was one of the reason I went with it.

So they finally released the new firmware and things seem better. However… the dimming curve, multi press and a bunch of other features are now part of some premium subscription. Yes subscription! Literally WTF, there is no reason it needs to be a subscription, there’s no back end server for them to fund etc, these are core rooms to failed functionality and not some ‘advanced’ extra features.

Also lightwave was never a subscription product and that was one of the reason I went with it.

Wow, this is really appalling. I knew an update was coming but I had not idea a subscription service was involved. This is absolutely ridiculous given the very high cost of the equipment to begin with, and as you say has very little reliance on the cloud. They very rarely update their hardware and firmware anyway. I have a number of lightwave switches and I will have to consider removing them now.

This smacks of a company in trouble, desperately looking for a new revenue stream, or make it more attractive to a potential buyer. There is no way a product this expensive should have a subscription service for such basic functionality. The lack of updates and new products, reduced staffing along with this looks very ominous indeed.

I think you hit the nail on the head, they’re in trouble. They listed and had to de-list in feb 2020 and then tried to sell the company. They appear to be stable now, however I suspect with increasing competition at lower price points and with switches using non proprietary standards they are probably struggling to generate enough revenue.

It’s such an own goal tho as far as I see it. Zigbee and other open standard switches are flooding the market. The only thing lightwave has over them is they look better (even if that won’t last). The fact that lightwave is proprietary doesn’t affect most people because once installed they don’t care or mess with them.

With a subscription it’s a whole other ball game. What if they move other core features into the subscription? What if you sell your house? Are you going to tell the new owner hey btw you need to pay monthly for the switches to work properly? Suddenly it maters a lot that they use proprietary standards because you have nowhere else to go if/when they change their pricing model.

It’s a really stupid move, just waiting for the backlash!

I have their original system, light switches and sockets. I would not buy it again and saw no advantage in moving to their current model.

Given the cost, reduced size, no need for a hub and reliability of the latest plug in sockets why buy their face plates. Same with the light switches, cost is ridiculous compared to a standard light switch and Shelly module and you can do more with it and with much higher LED loads.

However as an all in one product it does look good but they have been left behind by the opposition on grounds of cost and operability.

Given the cost, reduced size, no need for a hub and reliability of the latest plug in sockets why buy their face plates. Same with the light switches, cost is ridiculous compared to a standard light switch and Shelly module and you can do more with it and with much higher LED loads.

Yup, I sold all my Lightwave, bought Shelly Dimmer2's with 3-positive retractive switches, usability is way better. None of the issues I stated when starting this thread. Even with a wall switch the Shelly option is less than half the price of a lightwave switch.

I totally agree. I'm heavily invested in Lightwave Smart series now and this Lightwave Plus subscription has come as a nasty shock. It doesn't appear as though they've released any official details, just the app has an update to sign-up to updates (which resulted in an error message as it's actually just their news letter where I'm already signed-up!). It's totally confusing for some customers who won't know the difference between Lightwave Plus and the Lightwave Link Plus.

I'll be at least one in what I expect will be thousands of customers contacting them to complain.

Well it’s multi press, and dimming curve (essential for most LED bulbs). Should be standard!

As should the 5 year warranty! I am now more concerned that non-subscription users won't get the support they deserve.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom