Lightwave vs Hue - Which is best?

AidenL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, seeing as I'm going with a dedicated room, should I commit to Lightwave controls or Hue or a mix of both?

Also, what about overall control to link to all the gear as well as lighting - Roomie Remote I guess as an integrator of all?

Im not familiar with Lightwave, except I see it seems to have a broader range of options than Hue, which is lighting only - plus more expensive.

Ok, does that mean Lightwave , controlled by Roomie is the best bet?

Tricky one and we use both

What exactly are you trying to do both now and in the future

Well right now, I have a non-dedicated room with projector,screen, Bluray, htpc, receiver etc.

Lights are low voltage 6watt Led down lighters.

Next up will be a dedicated room - so I'd like to be able to turn on the PJ, receiver, bluray, set a scene lighting and so on, maybe ideally close a blackout blind also.

I'd ideally like to be able to control my Sonos setup housewide also, and actually anything else which is controllable.

I've been offered Control 4 but I'm assuming it would be a lot more expensive.

Hue is very expensive and bear in mind the intelligence is built into the bulbs (if using bulbs) and when the expire you are throwing that away. However Lwrf has no colour options just white .

I would recommend roomie remote as doesn't rely on expensive programming and fairly easy for you to do yourself

Hue is very expensive and bear in mind the intelligence is built into the bulbs (if using bulbs) and when the expire you are throwing that away. However Lwrf has no colour options just white .

I would recommend roomie remote as doesn't rely on expensive programming and fairly easy for you to do yourself
Thanks!

Do you sell Lightwave equipment and the iCache for Roomie?

We do but that wasn't why I was replying to the thread.

More than happy to help though with advice and if you buy from us that would be a bonus

Seb

We do but that wasn't why I was replying to the thread.

More than happy to help though with advice and if you buy from us that would be a bonus

Seb
I meant it as a positive, I'd be looking for a sales outlet.

As I get my design finalised, I'll give you a shout for prices and advice for sure.

I understand that, just didn't want you to think we were giving biased advice .

the key for your install is Roomie and getting as many devices that are Ip/network controllable as possible.

Is your screen ir, rs232or rf controllable (bad if just rf)

Screen is triggered from my PJ.

I'll be going to a fixed screen actually.

I bought the Roomie app a while back, but didn't seriously tackle implementing it.

New version is better and more support for devices . My only bug bear is the sky support is limited to Ir.

I'll be changing a lot of my equipment as the new formats are unveiled so I'll make sure they are all IP controllable.

Sky use in the dedicated room will be minimal anyway.

Could I use Roomie to control the Sky box in our living room and send a HD picture to the dedicated room over Cat 5 at a reasonable cost? What would I need to achieve that?

You could but depends what is reasonable cost .

We only recommend HDBAseT (the only ratified standard) HDMI over cat6 extenders as just the most reliable .

Of course we have our branded version of these at 179+vat

You could but depends what is reasonable cost .

We only recommend HDBAseT (the only ratified standard) HDMI over cat6 extenders as just the most reliable .

Of course we have our branded version of these at 179+vat
That's not bad. So just split the signal from the sky box and done and dusted?

Thanks for the advice btw, much appreciated.

In essence yes but what audio do you have/want in each room as that's where splitting HDMI can get tricky

In essence yes but what audio do you have/want in each room as that's where splitting HDMI can get tricky
I guess the dedicated room would need to be able to have the standard 5.1 from Sky.

If I do a bedroom too, and perhaps the kitchen stereo would be ok.

... And that's where it gets tricky as Hdmi can only carry one audio stream at a time so if 5.1 in one room via hdmi and other TVs can only handle stereo its a problem .

... And that's where it gets tricky as Hdmi can only carry one audio stream at a time so if 5.1 in one room via hdmi and other TVs can only handle stereo its a problem .
Ok, so essentially if more than one tv using the Sky box at one time, it's a case for back to multi-room I guess?

Does the HDMI step team default to lowest common audio stream ie stereo to everything in that case?

No it sends what it is told .

Is the sky box in or could it be moved to room with the avr

No it sends what it is told .

Is the sky box in or could it be moved to room with the avr
It's in the living room.

I can always just go multi room, might be simpler?

That would be simpler or you could connect the sky box digital audio output via cat 5/6 to the avr and set that to 5.1 and then hdmi to stereo

That would be simpler or you could connect the sky box digital audio output via cat 5/6 to the avr and set that to 5.1 and then hdmi to stereo
Ah yeah, I see what you mean.

Multi room is probably a lot cheaper than a proper splitter box though?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom