Lights flickering/dimming every now and then

marcaaron22

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The lights around the house keep on flickering/dimming every now and then, both the main lights and the lamps, so obviously it's the electrics, will this cause problems with my tv, satellite, and av equipment? Either now or at some point?
What can I do to protect my setup? I currently use your average surge protectors, but is this enough?

Also, the power in my street (my house included) went off for about 10 minutes

Edit: if this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move to the relevant section, thanks,

Last edited:
If you're experiencing fluctuating power and are worried about your kit, unplug it til it passes.

simonfr said:
If you're experiencing fluctuating power and are worried about your kit, unplug it til it passes.

That's the thing, it's unpredictable, lights just flicker when you don't expect it

Ghosts?

RuddyRoad said:

Lol, I knew it wouldn't be long before that came up

Are your neighbours noticing flickering lights too. If so, it may be worth contacting electricity board and asking them whether they are aware of any ongoing problems

Call your power company and advise them that there is a problem with the supply, logging date, time and name of person that you spoke to, as well as telling them when the outage was, as well as the times of flickering & dimming. They will probably send someone out to check things - could be something simple like a fallen branch or ice build-up on a line somewhere nearby.

Your equipment should be safe, but if you do have problems, your insurance company will thank you for keeping records of your correspondence with the power supplier.

Just wondering, what is the best surge protector you can get? Or are they all the same?

This is the way to go - it goes before your consumer panel, thereby protecting your whole house. Not seen a UK specific version of this online.

Last edited:
yep same here my lights flicker sometimes been doing it for years not had a problem with any of my gear

did you feed your mogwai after midnight around the time this started?

I had this problem years ago - I live in flat in a coverted victorian house - contacted power company who came out to investigate - said juntion box in the street looked a bit dodgy so they pumped a load of power down the line to fuse it together - that was my understanding anyway seems to have done the trick as not had flickering lights since

I thought lights flickering was the power station changing generates so obviously some power fluctuations.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom