• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Lights - 2D?

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Hiya,

I am thinking about getting a 2D type light fitting for my bathroom, but just wondering if anyone has used them before.

The one I am looking at is 16W (equiv. to 75W), but I don't want it to take 5 minutes for the bulb to hit max after switching, as is the case with most energy efficient bulbs!

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
but I don't want it to take 5 minutes for the bulb to hit max after switching, as is the case with most energy efficient bulbs!

:confused: Why not I like the delayed effect, otherwise you stumble out of a dark bedroom, flick the switch and are blinded by the lights! :D

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
:confused: Why not I like the delayed effect, otherwise you stumble out of a dark bedroom, flick the switch and are blinded by the lights! :D

That is a good point, but I don't actually suffer from that because before I go to bed I go around turning all my lights (dimmers) to the lowest setting.

Anyway, does anyone know if D2 bulbs actually suffer from the same 'problem'?

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
We've got lots of lighting in the Bathroom and they're actually standard 12V 50W spots so no delay. It's the only room without dimmers and LED recessed spots :D So in winter it can be a bit painful first thing in the morning as it's sooo bright!

Got plenty of the low energy bulbs at work and although they do of course get brighter they are still bright enough when first turned on.

Sorry I don't know what 2D bulbs are TBH. I just saw your 'problem' as my 'solution' ;)

niceguy235uk

2D fittings are similar to standard tubular flourescents. IE some flicker and then start, but are brighter than CFL on start up.

Not something i would want in a bathroom if im half asleep.

Billo

Have a quick check to see if you can actually put 2D bulbs in a bathroom, they may not be good in a steam/wet environment.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
Zone 2 rated, I guess it depends on where you plan to put them.

Have you looked at LED lamps?? They're not cheap but last a long time and are energy efficient and don't have the usualy start up problems. I've slowly changed over to them bit by bit and like them! :D

You can get your standard GU10's/MR16's etc or the normal bayonet and screw bulbs.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Zone 2 rated

Don't get me started on that subject! There is no specific mention of zones anywhere on the ceiling, so I take that to read that you could put a non-IP rated light right above the shower head and that will be 'OK'.

Zone 0 - inside the bath or shower. IP67 required
Zone 1 - around the bath or shower, upto a height of 2.25m. IP65 required
Zone 2 - within 0.6m of zone 1. IPx4 required
No Zone - Anything

DIY and Home Improvement Wiki - Electrics - Speclcn - Bathroom zones

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Have you looked at LED lamps??

The thing is we have extended our bathroom to become 2m x 2m so the existing ceiling dome (60w) does not give enough light to the corners, one of which happens to be where the shower head is.

I don't have enough void above (small joists) to use downlights so am really restricted to traditional ceiling domes - spots (not downlights) have no place in a bathroom in my opinion - and am struggling to find one I a) like the look of and b) gives off at least 80w +.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Anyone know of a shed that has decent selection of what I'm looking for. B&Q, Wickes, Homebase etc I'm not impressed with at all and don't want to order online in case it develops a fault;

"Sorry SWMBO, we have no light in the bathroom while this one is sent back and replaced. Could be a few days" :laugh:

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
so I take that to read that you could put a non-IP rated light right above the shower head and that will be 'OK'.

That's how I would read it also, providing your ceiling is at least 2.25m above floor level... or probably more to the point, you can't touch the fitting when stood in the bath! :D

Have you tried Screwfix? Dunno what fittings they have and I know they are part of the B&Q group now but might be worth a look, they have depots as well not just online.

IronGiant

I'm sure we had a thread about IP zones in bathrooms recently. Personally I'd wait for niceguy or sparkie to pop in and advise... :smashin:

niceguy235uk

You can fit any light fitting where ever you like providing it is suitable for the environment in which it is installed.

2D's come in a variety of fittings, however, most are suitable for showers etc, as they are mainly used outside for walkways etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom