Hey there, hope you’re all well.

Ok so I use Capture One which is great. But what I want is to be able to cull and edit photos from either my desktop PC or iPad whilst both share the same catalogue.

As a result I got the 1tb Lightroom plan. This is the £9.99 one where you’re images are stored in the cloud. Obviously I can see all images from my desktop PC or my iPad regardless of where I am in the world, just as I want.

However, is it possible to do the above with the £10.42 Photography Plan (20Gb of CC cloud storage). I had assumed not at the time. Dont mind if the images are stored on my local network (I have a NAS). But I do want to be able to access the catalogue and edit remotely or I might as well have stuck with Capture One.

Thanks in advance 👍

MaryWhitehouse

You can but this rely on you always saving locally at the NAS (or whatever) and being ok with the images synced in Lightroom being lower res 'previews'. If you want the originals in the cloud so you can use them properly then you need Adobe cloud storage. They're not daft ;)

You can but this rely on you always saving locally at the NAS (or whatever) and being ok with the images synced in Lightroom being lower res 'previews'. If you want the originals in the cloud so you can use them properly then you need Adobe cloud storage. They're not daft ;)
Thanks for the reply Mary.

Ok, so let's see if I understand this (for the £10.42 photography plan)

1) I can use my main desktop PC as my Lightroom CC machine
2) The images can be stored on my NAS
3) Lower resolution previews are uploaded to Adobe Creative Cloud (unlimited for previews?)
4) Lightroom on my iPad can see these previews
5) Edits I make on the iPad are reflected on my desktop Lightroom CC machine, and vice versa

That about right?

MaryWhitehouse

That about right?

First off don't quote me as the Lightroom universe is fiendishly difficult to describe without lots of experiments that I've not done for a while. However at least you can swap plans easily till you're sure.
My first point would be that Lightroom CC is, IMO, poor compared to Lightroom Classic. It's ok ish for light use on phones and tablets but bad for proper use and I'd strongly suggest using Lightroom Classic on your PC. If you do that you just need to create synced collections and place the photos you want in the cloud in those collections.
That said then I think what you say is right and about what I do. I experimented with using an iPad Pro but, while the machine was excellent, Lightroom CC wasn't good enough. My other bit of advice would be to not use a NAS to store images to edit as it'll probably slow you down.

Thanks for that. I think I confused the names though- when I said Lightroom CC I meant LR Classic.
"Lightroom" = the mobile one. Sure Adobe are trying to confuse the hell out of everyone :)

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom