LightRoom - moving files (newbie query) - Now resolved

jradley

Hi,

Following my other post about b+w conversion, I've been led to start tinkering with LightRoom as a tool for bulk processing instead of Photoshop. I'm afraid this move may be opening a whole new can of worms and newbie questions, starting with this one !

I work on my photos (currently Photoshop) on the internal hard drive on my PC, as it is a relatively fast device. Once I've finished editing I move the folder to a NAS - slow but relatively secure and backed up.

Photoshop leaves behind the .xmp files and if I ever want to go back and edit again I can just click on the .CR2 file (Canon RAW) and it finds the .xmp and will apply the previous edits.....

Providing I don't move the folder, LR can remember the edits too, presumably because they are in the catalog somewhere. But when I move the folder to the NAS it loses track and of course can't recall the previous edits.

Is there a way to manage LR so it can keep track of edits after moving a folder, or tell it to leave a .xmp file (or whaterver LR uses) in the folder where the .CR2 file is so it can recall them ?

Cheers,

John

eduk

Distinguished Member
In the Catalogue Settings I think there is an option to write .xmp sidecars.

jradley

Thanks Eddie - I just tried that.. Using the .xmp file I can open the RAW in photoshop and it picks up the previous edits, which is great, but LR still won't see the changes.

I don't know if there is a way to tell LR to read the .xmp or perhaps better still, use LR to move the folder so that it knows it's moved and updates its catalog accordingly.

Cheers,

John

jradley

OK, cancel numpty question - I get it now....

I can move folders around within LR itself !!!

Standby for next numpty question coming to a forum near you :facepalm:

Cheers,

John

eduk

Distinguished Member

Cheers,

John

LOL, keep the xmp option on though, if your catalogue gets screwed up you can fall back to the xmp files.

wongataa

Cheers,

John
If you move files outside of LR and it loses the link you can relink them in LR. Right click one of the missing files in the Library (marked with a question mark) and in the context menu that pops up there will be an option to tell LR where the file now is. You can do this with folders in the folder panel so you don't have to do each individual image.

If you have just turned on the samp xmp metadata option then all files currently in the LR library that haven't been editied since the option was selected won't have an associated xmp file. To force the creation use the save metadata option.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom