LIghtroom - how to add to existing collection ?

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
As theb title says - I'm sure it's dead easy but it escapes me :blush:

If I import new pictures - or have existing pictures in lightroom - how do I add them to an existing collection ?

Ta,

Jim

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Did that do the trick Jim? If not let me know if you need any more help.
Hi Dave - thanks - that process works fine - but I'm sure there will be other questions :D

Jim

ziplex

Sort of related I guess..........I had a trial of LR3 which has now run it's course, I had a few albums on there that I failed to save elsewhere:(, any way to retrieve them or would I have to buy the full version and hope they re-appear once entering the serial number?

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Sort of related I guess..........I had a trial of LR3 which has now run it's course, I had a few albums on there that I failed to save elsewhere:(, any way to retrieve them or would I have to buy the full version and hope they re-appear once entering the serial number?
Is it just the pictures you are looking for or the catalogues ? - when you imported the photos did you tell LR to leave them where they were or not ?

Jim

ziplex

Is it just the pictures you are looking for or the catalogues ? - when you imported the photos did you tell LR to leave them where they were or not ?

Jim
No, just imported them direct to LR then deleted from camera so from time to time there were albums created in date form.....stupid really, there's nothing of any real importance so no great issues with it. I will get LR3 at some time but I was wondering if I should use the serial number of a bought version in the box that comes up asking for it on the trial version window? If I were to purchase a copy, install it in the usual way could I recover them from the previously installed trial version? I am probably being thick here int I?

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
No, just imported them direct to LR then deleted from camera so from time to time there were albums created in date form.....stupid really, there's nothing of any real importance so no great issues with it. I will get LR3 at some time but I was wondering if I should use the serial number of a bought version in the box that comes up asking for it on the trial version window? If I were to purchase a copy, install it in the usual way could I recover them from the previously installed trial version? I am probably being thick here int I?
You should be able to enable the trial version with a full product key :)

Jim

ziplex

You should be able to enable the trial version with a full product key :)

Jim
Thought i'd point out Jim, I downloaded the trial again and the folders reappeared..can't do 'owt with them as files are stated as being 'offline or missing' so unable to copy/export etc. but they can be viewed?! still begs the question if the full product key will bring them back to life? I wasn't aware the trial could be downloaded more than once but hey ho, i'll have another play for 30 days.

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Thought i'd point out Jim, I downloaded the trial again and the folders reappeared..can't do 'owt with them as files are stated as being 'offline or missing' so unable to copy/export etc. but they can be viewed?! still begs the question if the full product key will bring them back to life? I wasn't aware the trial could be downloaded more than once but hey ho, i'll have another play for 30 days.
....doesn't sound right to me but perhaps someone else can chip in if they know anything more ?

When you say "viewed" is that just thumbnails or full size ?

Jim

dave_bass5

When the files are showing as off line all you can see is the previews lightroom has created. You can't edit them.
You just need to link lightroom to the files. I think you do this by right clicking one of the previews and select locate. It should then re connect with the actual file.
I'm not at home right now but I think you can also do this with the folders in the library. This put everthing back to how it was before the re install.

ziplex

....doesn't sound right to me but perhaps someone else can chip in if they know anything more ?

When you say "viewed" is that just thumbnails or full size ?

Jim
Full size.......

ziplex

When the files are showing as off line all you can see is the previews lightroom has created. You can't edit them.
You just need to link lightroom to the files. I think you do this by right clicking one of the previews and select locate. It should then re connect with the actual file.
I'm not at home right now but I think you can also do this with the folders in the library. This put everthing back to how it was before the re install.
Tryed this but I don't seem to have this option? bare in mind it's still a trial version though.

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Tryed this but I don't seem to have this option? bare in mind it's still a trial version though.
Pick one and make a note of the filename then do a search for the file on the PC to make sure it's still there - this should also show you whwre your LR Imports are being stored.

You may be right and it's not letting you do the reconnect as the trial has expired....

Jim

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I'm a bit confused about what Lightroom does :confused: Do you still need Photoshop or does Lightroom take the place of it?

dave_bass5

Lightroom has all but replaced PS for me.

LR is more about correcting and tweaking the image. You cant cut parts out or use overlays etc. There is a basic clone/healing tool, and you can work on selected parts of the image using the local correction tool. This is very much like painting on a adjustment layer in PS.

So if you want to take an image and make it look better LR should be all you need.

With the current version (PSCS5) of ACR you more or less get LR3 as a front end for Raw files so if you have that you can try it out and see just how much you can do before opening PS.

Its also very good at cataloguing your images. You can search for images based on camera, lens, focal length etc. Probably what you can do in Bridge but much quicker IME.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
So for someone like me who mostly just crops, resizes, sharpens and adjust the levels (when feeling lazy I just do auto levels!) then all these could be done in Lightroom?

Is it cheaper than full blown Photoshop?

dave_bass5

So for someone like me who mostly just crops, resizes, sharpens and adjust the levels (when feeling lazy I just do auto levels!) then all these could be done in Lightroom?

Is it cheaper than full blown Photoshop?
Yes and Yes.

Even though i have the full PSCS5 suite (via work) i find i just do more or less what you do with my images. I will use PS if i need to remove much from an image but most of the time i don't or ill be too lazy to both.

You do have a lot of adjustment over the images and while you dont have to use them its great fun playing will all the sliders etc.
Its a pretty amazing pice of software IME and while not dirt cheap, i think its well worth it and much cheaper the PS.

You can download a 30 day trial from Adobe to see how you get no with it.

Noggin1980

I'm a bit confused about what Lightroom does :confused: Do you still need Photoshop or does Lightroom take the place of it?
Lightroom Can very nearly take the place of photoshop for a photographer. If both are availible thats the way to go, use lightroom most of the time and then you can open up an image in photoshop from lightroom if you need any of the photoshop only stuff.

You will lose the ability to add text
You will lose the ability to add borders
You lose the great selection stuff

If you just want to make your photos look the best they can be you only really need lightroom, if you want to get really arty or create composites etc then you'll need photoshop.

Lightoom is great at catalogueing and organising your photos as well as making printing/uploading to flickr/sharing etc very quick and simple.

Lightoom has most of the tools you will need for making your photos (especially raw's) looks the best they can

Ie, cropping and straightening, white balance adjustments, exposure/brightness/contrast/clarity/vibrance/saturation, you can adjust the saturation/luminance/hue of any of the main colours, you have sharpening and noise reduction, you can adjust the tone curve, as well as having sliders for bringing back detail in blown areas, you can add fill light or more blacks. You can do lens corrections and add effects light grain or vignetting, there is cloning and healing tools, adjustment brushes and graduated filters. You can make photos black and white/sepia etc and do split toning. It's also very good for presets.

It's also non destructive if you edit the photo and months later want to remove your changes you can, you can also make virtual copies with different changes so you can have a black and white version, a colour version, maybe a close crop version etc all of the same photo and without it taking up much extra disc space

I found using photoshop to be a chore and a serious challenge and only used it rarely, since finding lightroom I edit every photo that I concider a keeper because its such a dream to use,

Lightroom rocks!

HMHB

Distinguished Member
:) this all sounds very interesting. I never use all the arty farty stuff in Elements anyway.

dave_bass5

You can still get quite arty with LR, just not as much as with PS. And its a lot easier to do IME.

LR will also create slide shows and web pages with your selected images on them (never used them myself though).

The print module will let you set up pages with different sized images, you can add boarders and text, headings etc.

And you can also upload directly to Flickr, Facebook, Smugmug etc.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Does it have any facility to help you build a web site to show your photos?

Jammyb

I mostly like portrait type photography. There's a couple of brush functions on lightroom that work well enough for me to use them for speed, the teeth whitening and the iris enhance both work really well IMO.

for quick and dirty editing I also really like some of the lightroom presets, the creamtone B&W is very flattering to caucasian skintones and saves a lot of more detailed work.

Don't be tempted by the spot healing and soften skin though, they're poor compared to photoshop.

dave_bass5

I mostly like portrait type photography. There's a couple of brush functions on lightroom that work well enough for me to use them for speed, the teeth whitening and the iris enhance both work really well IMO.

for quick and dirty editing I also really like some of the lightroom presets, the creamtone B&W is very flattering to caucasian skintones and saves a lot of more detailed work.

Don't be tempted by the spot healing and soften skin though, they're poor compared to photoshop.
I use the spot healing brush quite a bit and yes, it can be quite frustrating but i have used it with good effect, especially for just getting rid of a few distracting objects in the background.

I love using the WOW presets but there are a lot of other great free sets out there.

I also use the Portraiture plug in, mainly for portraits lol. Its a shame they cant be used inside of LR but its all seems to work seamlessly enough.

Faldrax

:) this all sounds very interesting. I never use all the arty farty stuff in Elements anyway.
Note that Lightroom also has the facility to export an image directly into PSE - so you do the RAW processing in LR (fixing WB, levels, shadow and highlight recovery, etc) then for the few you want to do more with you can export to PSE to finish up.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I'm going to build myself a new computer sometime next year so I think I'll get Lightroom on it :)

Faldrax

From experience with LR2 each time they released a new sub-version it would give you another 30 days (So Start with 2.5 for 30 days, then 2.6 for 30 days, then 2.7 for 30 days...).

But frankly, LR3 is so good it's worth paying for a full version. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom