Lightroom 4.2 release candidate is out

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Johnmcl7, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,530
    I see the RC version of LR 4.2 is out adding support for a few cameras including the RX100:

Adobe posts Lightroom v4.2 and ACR 7.2 release candidates: Digital Photography Review

Is Lightroom the same as Photoshop in that v3 users will not get any more updates for cameras? I've been holding off upgrading to 4 simply because I'm not that great with v3 and the books I have are for it, 4 is obviously a bit different.

John

2. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,452
    ...certainly haven't seen any LR3 updates since LR4 was released... :(

3. Burry1

Burry1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No more updates for lightroom 3. Think 3.6 is the last version. If you have a camera that is not supported by version 3 you may have to convert the raw to dng first. I don't use the new map, book etc modules in L4 but I do prefer the new develop module. You can download the trial of L4 - it will install separately alongside your version 3; it won't replace it so you can have a look at it without committing. Lastly, keep am eye on kindle store and google play. They have both had lightroom 4 ebooks going for 1p at different times. I got Martin Evenings book for 1p. Don't know if they are still going up and down I'm price like they were.

4. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,530
    I was fairly sure my optimism was misplaced but thought it was worth checking, I've checked my Kindle library and it appears I've bought an LR4 book at some point so that will be handy. I'm wondering if it's worth buying the upgrade and effectively losing the LR3 license or pay the £40 more to get the full LR4 and use LR3 on another machine.

John

5. Burry1

Burry1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you have a student (can even be a primary school child of any age) or teacher in the family you could get the educational version, currently £52 on Amazon, leaving you the LR3 for use still.