Question Lightoom Build/Upgrade

sedulus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an old, but perfectly serviceable AMD Athlon 64 build that's starting to struggle a little with Lightroom.

I'm running a 128gb SSD with a 1TB HDD, have a useable case, graphics card and PSU, so just need to upgrade the Motherboard, CPU and RAM.

My budget is around £300 (maybe a little more), and I've been looking at the i5 6500 and would like 16gb RAM, but I'm not sure what mobo to go with. It's been a while since I've done this, and I've been an AMD guy in the past.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? A "bundle" deal would be great, but I'm happy to get my hands dirty if needs be!

Thanks in advance!

The question to ask is What features do you need?

Presumably both of your drives are SATA?

If your old graphics card fast enough to be worth using instead of the HD 530 in the i5-6500? If not, which outputs do you need for your monitor(s)?

What sort of hardware might you plug in internally or externally over the life of the motherboard?

Do you need a high quality analogue sound output?

The other thing that's likely to determine motherboard choice is what form factor motherboards your case takes. If it only takes Micro ATX boards with four expansion slots then you can rule out the larger ATX boards.

Both are SATA, but I could see myself upgrading to an m2/pci e SSDs at some point.

I might also dabble with some raid options, but they'd be SATA based HDDs.

Graphics card is fine - it's a PCI express that drives one DVI and one VGA monitor. Might be worth an upgrade, but only for two DVI outputs - I do zero gaming and audio isn't an issue either - I have a pro tools recording rig for that!

This will literally just be for Lightroom, with a little light web browsing (mostly how to use Lightroom guides...!)

Case will fit an ATX card, and my PSU is adequate, 450w I think.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom