Lightning strike killed sky boxes!

jimk04

Established Member
Reaction score
We were struck by lightning on weds night and it has blown both sky+ and multiroom boxes, aswell as DVD and PS2.
I've changed the fuses including the one on the power supply board but they just blow straight away. So i guess the transformer or something on the ps board had been fried.
The sky+ box is only a few months old so wanted to have a go at mending it. Does anyone know if/where i could get a replacement power supply circuit board from?
Cheers

If it's fried the power supply, chances are it will have done the same to the modem. If it's only a few months old you can get it replaced free of charge by Sky. You'll have to take your chances on which make you get though.

Chances are that ALL you devices are destroyed and beyond economical repair, could you not claim on your insurance and get new units. Next time get a belkin spike protector , they are insured for upto £30,000(depend on model) of equipment.

jimk04 said:
Does anyone know if/where i could get a replacement power supply circuit board from?
Cheers
Satcure is the most likely bet but you haven't stated the make and model number.

Not worth it ! If a lightning strike has blown the supplies of both boxes, there will be other damage too, which won't become apparent until the supplies are changed. Replace the boxes and claim it on the house contents insurance.

:smoke: When you are finished with any electrical device, take plug out of socket.Unless you have one of those spike protectors.

Cannot help,did you know that each bolt of lightening could power the City the size of Chicago>
:smoke:

When my Sky + box was zapped by lightning 2 years ago Sky replaced it free under warranty (and I got another Pace!) as well as replacing the quad lnb which was also blown. Had to claim on the household insurance to get the other blown equiment replaced though. A surge protector wouldn't have helped as it was the dish that was struck!

Brian P said:
When my Sky + box was zapped by lightning 2 years ago Sky replaced it free under warranty (and I got another Pace!) as well as replacing the quad lnb which was also blown. Had to claim on the household insurance to get the other blown equiment replaced though. A surge protector wouldn't have helped as it was the dish that was struck!

There isn't a protector box on the planet that would protect from a direct strike.

thanks for all the replies. It did blow my dvd player, ps2 and denon av amp too. which is nice.
sky wouldnt replace the boxes, so its all coming out of the house insurance.
No way of telling if the lnb is toast tho until the boxes are replaced, and will the insurance pay up again afterwards dou you know?
If not any idea how much a quad lnb is please?
thanks

You shouldn't have to pay more than £30

I'm willing to bet that your LNB will be toast:thumbsdow

Leaat23 said:
I'm willing to bet that your LNB will be toast:thumbsdow

I agree. Might be welded to the dish too. :D

Lightening strikes and I slap my cat around head:D Cat cries and tears stream down.
:rotfl:

When a lightening strikes the box. All components are affected as they transmit this current of electricity. YOur box is officially fcuked.

Time to fork out 100 quid at least for two new boxes hoping they will knock off twenty pounds as a replacement is sixty quid.

:lesson:

Eye2007 said:
Lightening strikes and I slap my cat around head:D Cat cries and tears stream down.
:rotfl:

When a lightening strikes the box. All components are affected as they transmit this current of electricity. YOur box is officially fcuked.

Time to fork out 100 quid at least for two new boxes hoping they will knock off twenty pounds as a replacement is sixty quid.

:lesson:

How old are you ? 14 ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom