1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightning Nuked my Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Higgers, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Higgers

Higgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is with a heavy heart that I report that first bit of hifi kit I bought after getting a "proper" job got nuked yesterday afternoon by a nearby bolt of lightning. I can still remember the grin on my face as I walked (or should I say staggered) out of Richer Sounds lugging a huge cardboard box after having paid with the first credit card I'd got that had a "proper" credit limit.

OK, maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic but having my Yamaha DSP-A2 killed by lightning really sucks.

Has anyone had experience of this sort of thing happen to them before? Do any of you think it's worth taking the amp somewhere to be repaired? I spoke to an electronic engineer (my dad) about it last night. He thinks it likely that most if not all of the semiconductors in the amp will be fried which will probably mean it's beyond economic repair.

On the other hand it does give me a good excuse to upgrade. Even my wife feels sorry for me so I'm going to milk this situation for all its worth. Woo hoo! :)

I'm thinking of getting a second hand Denon AVC-10SE or 11SR. I haven't got a particularly great set of speakers, Kef Q3 fronts, Q90C centre, a pair of Gale gold montors as the rears and a REL Q100E sub. I'm going to stick with a 5.1 setup because the system's in the living room so I won't be able to get away with putting more speakers in there! :) I don't want to spend more than £1000 on a replacement, has anyone got any suggestions for something other than one of the Denons above? Will eventually build an HTPC so discrete inputs are essential. (HTPC will initially only output video but I'd like to tinker with outputting audio too.)

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Very sorry to hear that, I’d be devastated if that happened to me. Although at least it’d give me the excuse to upgrade! Did you have your amp connected to a surge–protected plug? This may have saved your amp…although depending on the power of the lightning it probably would have got fried anyway.

I agree with your father, the components inside are probably all burnt, you can try to get an estimate but it’s probably not worth it.

For your budget of £1000 I’d be inclined to go for something newer like the Denon 3805, Pioneer AX5Ai or even Arcam AVR300 (which can be had for £1040 from Sevenoaks at the moment!) They’d more than do justice to your current setup and makes them that bit more future-proof :thumbsup:

3. Higgers

Higgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have got a surge protection 1-to-6 extension by Belkin which was on the other side of the room with nothing plugged in to it. I'm such an :censored: sometimes.

I was consiering about the 3805 too, one of my friends got one a few months ago and it sounds great. However, I'm not sure how a new piece of mid range kit would compare with a slightly older piece of high end kit. Would new midrange kit sound better than older highend kit? Does the 3805 have any features I need that an AVC-11SR or 10SE doesn't have? I only need 5.1 output. Has amp technology progressed over the last few years to the point that a 3805 sounds better than one of Denon's older flagship models? I've got a feeling that it won't have but I really don't know. Whilst doing a search on the forum last night I read a post that compared getting secondhand equipment to buying an old Merc instead of a new Ford. I can see the logic there (ignoring the particular choice of makes of cars in that example) but is it applicable to hifi kit?

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Claim for it on your house insurance :smashin:

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    To be honest, I haven't heard the old Denon's but imo the Denon 3805 is a fantastic piece of kit. If you don't need all the bells and whistles the best way for you to tell is to go for a demo :smashin:

6. Higgers

Higgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm thinking of doing just that. I hope my insurer doesn't class lightning as an act of god. Though when you think about it (and depending on your beliefs I s'pose) everything's an act of god really. :)

7. Higgers

Higgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I could emo a 3805 but how can I compare a 3805 versus an older amp? I don't suppose there's anyone in the Manchester area with a AVC-10SE or 11SR that would let me poke my head into the living room for five minutes to listen to one is there? I take my shoes off at the front door and everything. :)

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, incidently to my parents old Yamaha stereo amp several years back. To know if it's worth repairing get a quote first, too difficult to tell.

Be aware that this alone might not help. Nobody can offer you a 100% protection but you should have a first and second stage protection already in the mains distribution. The first stage takes care of high currents (in the area of several kilo-Ampere) and voltage levels exceeding 1500V while the second stage covers overvoltage up to 1500V.
    The extension sockets are considered a 3rd stage protection and used alone may not sufficiently protect against a lightning stike, they are usually intended to be combined with a first and second stage protection.
    The 3rd stage protects against overvoltage around the AC mains rating (230-400V) only, thus a high current or voltage levels produced by a lightning may still cause damage.

9. Kier

Kier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In August a lightning strike blew up my
    • Pioneer VSX-D2011 receiver
    • Panasonic TX-36PG50 36" CRT
    • B&W ASW675 subwoofer
    • Panasonic DVD-S75 DVD player
    • Aiwa something-or-other VCR
    • ADSL router
    • Five network cards
    • Sky+ box
    Oh I know aaaaalll about lightning :(

The wierd thing is, none of those things showed any physical damage to the boards inside, but none of them were repairable.

10. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    The house opposite ours suffered a direct hit in July of this year which not only blew out most of the telephones in our road but also fried my Marantz A/V receiver, brand new portable TV/DVD in the bedroom, our telephones and the modem and motherboard on my PC. Was instructed by my Insurers to take the Marantz to my local dealer for an engineers report where they declared it a "right off"
    Claimed under household insurance with no problems at all which enabled me to upgrade the Marantz to a brand spanking new Marantz 5400 (and with prudent shopping around even got the OSE model for the same price as the standard one (£299 from Peter Tyson)). The PC was taken away by HP for repair and after originally being informed by them it would have to be an insurance claim they actually repaired it under warranty!! Top marks to Hewlett Packard on this one....it was collected and returned within 4 days, new motherboard and they even upgraded the graphics card for me (had a friendly chat with the engineer when he phoned and suggested that I was going to upgrade it soon anyway. What a nice chap!!)
    Apart from 5 days without a telephone despite BT working flat out, it all turned out better than OK for me.
    Rob

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Oh my word you lost all that :eek: I hope you claimed it back!

12. Kier

Kier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah I did, however it took five months for the insurance company to finally get it all sorted out...

13. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here in Portugal it doesnt happen, I think because the power lines are burried, but in Canada it does quite often, while I lived in Toronto, I had the washer blown a few times, but the hifi only blew fuses, nothing else...

14. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Sorry to hear of your loss. When I moved into my current house it needed a re-wire I was careful to have a seperate circuit put in for the hi-fi, then an ISOL-8 Mini-Sub 2 just for good measure. Hopefully this will be the one and only time it happens.

As far as your replacement amp goes, I think I'd be tempted along the second hand route. If you're not going to be using 6.1 or 7.1, are happy to maually set the channel levels, can live without firewire, ilink and the like then you'll get yourself a rock solid system out of one of the older Denon's. As long as it had DD, DTS and Pro-Logic II, enough inputs for a mere mortal enthusiast and a healthy array of Amp's it get's the vote in my book.