• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Lightning hit..

whoever

Standard Member
Hi,
So I think lightning hit our house or was very close to it. Everything in my house seems ok except my Panasonic lzd800 tv. When using an HDMI channel I just get a blank black screen. When using the PC connection I get a blank green screen. My PC offers the Panasonic up as an external display but nothing happens. The menu functions all work fine so I assume it's not the display and it powers on no problem. Any idea what could be the issue? I can't try the aerial connection as I moved to the US and their frequencies are out of the range of my TV so my only inputs are cable (via hdmi), ps3, blue-ray and ps2 (composite). The ps2 also doesn't display anyything.. I get some strange blocking on the right of the picture with the ps2.
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction :)
Cheers

blowy111

Established Member
Can't be of help here but 10 years ago my house or very close was struck. It took everything out... you have been lucky. My insurance wouldn't pay..

whoever

Standard Member
I certainly know it could have worse. If it didn't turn on then I'd say ok it's bust. As it turns on I'm hoping it ma be fixable and was wondering if anyone else had seen similar.

luggsie

Established Member
I would guess the lightning generated a high voltage between the antenna socket, tv chassis and the peripheral input sockets which has taken out the IC's connected round these areas.

luggsie

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom