• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Lighting the Olympic Flame in the Stadium

I'm sure the lighting of the Olympic Flame at 9 pm tonight is going to be extremely exciting and very spectacular.

The last torchbearer of the day was Amber Charles, 22, from Newham, east London, who delivered London's Olympic bid to members of the International Olympic Committee in 2004.

She carried the flame to Tower Bridge before it was taken to City Hall, where it will remain out of public view until the opening ceremony begins.

My £5 says that someone might well try to steal it and that someone else will come to the flame's rescue. :devil:

I wonder who it might be? :confused:

I wonder who will light the Olympic Cauldron? :rolleyes:

I haven't yet decided where to put my £5 bets on these last two. :lease:

Where are you putting your £5 bets?

Cobb

Distinguished Member
I'm sure the lighting of the Olympic Flame at 9 pm tonight is going to be extremely exciting and very spectacular.

The last torchbearer of the day was Amber Charles, 22, from Newham, east London, who delivered London's Olympic bid to members of the International Olympic Committee in 2004.

She carried the flame to Tower Bridge before it was taken to City Hall, where it will remain out of public view until the opening ceremony begins.

My £5 says that someone might well try to steal it and that someone else will come to the flame's rescue. :devil:

I wonder who it might be? :confused:

I wonder who will light the Olympic Cauldron? :rolleyes:

I haven't yet decided where to put my £5 bets on these last two. :lease:

Where are you putting your £5 bets?

Batman

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
David Beckham will kick a flaming ball into the cauldron

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Daley Thompson and Sir Steve Redgrave do a salsa dance with the Olympic flame

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Bannister

My £5 says "James Bond" will have something to do with it.

Does David Beckham know him?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
My £5 says "James Bond" will have something to do with it.

I'm a huge fan of the James Bond franchise but even I would think that would be a tad naff but then again considering what Danny Boyle has planned, it probably wouldn't be out of place!

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Shouldn't really tell you this but I know someone who is in the know...

It will be Steve Ovett and Seb Coe singing there own rendition of Chas & Daves "Aint no pleasing you" Followed by Ovett lighting the flame whilst applauded by Coe.

You heard it here first :smashin:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Shouldn't really tell you this but I know someone who is in the know...

It will be Steve Ovett and Seb Coe singing there own rendition of Chas & Daves "Aint no pleasing you" Followed by Ovett lighting the flame whilst applauded by Coe.

You heard it here first :smashin:

spoiler!!!!!!! :mad: :thumbsdow :mad: :thumbsdow

tonyrees687

Prominent Member
Going back to the original event were discus jav running ect then Daley should be the man. If he had a river running through his school he might had been good at rowing to.

Have just seen into the Olympic Stadium.

There's a "British countryside" and a great big bell!

Who will ring this bell?

What will happen after it has been rung?

What is its significance?

I can't see an Olympic Cauldron! Doesn't look like there actually is one.

What a glorious and utterly inspirational brilliantly well designed cauldron, which was lit by a group of young future Olympians.

I think the opening ceremony was an utter triumph.

Let the Games begin!

dc8900

Distinguished Member
It was a nice touch to have them light it and that cauldron was brilliant

Papcx

Established Member
Begonia said:
What a glorious and utterly inspirational brilliantly well designed cauldron, which was lit by a group of young future Olympians.

I think the opening ceremony was an utter triumph.

Let the Games begin!

Agreed. I thought the whole ceremony was really good, then when the cauldron was lit / created (which is the correct term) I was on my feet. Totally brilliant.

CooperUK

Prominent Member
The lighting of the cauldron and the way in which past Olympians passed on the flame to the young athletes brought a tear to my eye.

One of the finest moments in recent times in this country. A real example of the BIG society.

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
CooperUK said:
The lighting of the cauldron and the way in which past Olympians passed on the flame to the young athletes brought a tear to my eye.

One of the finest moments in recent times in this country. A real example of the BIG society.

Have to say the entire ceremony last night was fabulous.

However BIG society has nothing to do with it. BIG society is just some meaningless words.
And even if it does mean anything to someone it still doesn't count as part of BIG society when an older ex elite athlete hands an Olympic touch to a younger Olympic athlete.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom