Lighting Automation - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by razmo123, Jun 14, 2019.

1. razmo123

razmo123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am undergoing a large scale home renovation. I want to incorporate some lighting solutions but I am getting confused about the best options.

Basically, I want all my lights to be operated by regular switches on and off. However, when I go away, I would quite like the option of setting some lights at the front and back of the house to come on. Further still, if I detect motion on CCTV then i would like to be able to switch one on quickly from an app to make it look like someone is in. I can find something that deals with two of these three things but not anything where i can do all three. For example, Hue cannot be controlled by a regular switch on a day to day basis. My wife will not want anything other than a 'normal' switch.

Can anyone make any suggestions for a cost effective solution please?

Thanks!

2. razmo123

razmo123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Upon reading a little closer, I think perhaps if I buy the Hue Bridge, some Hue GU10s and a dimmer switch, I can use this but still use the 'normal' house switch!?

3. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,881
    With hue, once the normal house switch is turned off, power to the bulb is off and so it won't respond to any commands from the bridge/hub.

Personally I think a decent zwave system is the way to go but it's far from plug in and play.

4. razmo123

razmo123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Desmo. I will take a look at zwave. Does that do the things I mentioned above?

I have a full electrician team on site and the house is stripped back to brick right now so they can wire anything i want if i let them know by the next week or so!

5. ufo550

ufo550

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    I’ve never had much to do with such, but I’m led to believe that Rako or Lightwave are good systems. Not cheap, and I think you’ve left it a bit late to start planning something like this.

6. JulianDS

JulianDS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    AC27232B-0485-4966-B4F3-EACD378DBF20.jpeg If you go ZWave, make sure that you get the electrician to fit deep back boxes so there’s room for the modules. Pic attached is a relay/switch for a 2-gang switch to give you an idea.
    You also need neutral at the switch for most modules so you’ll need to talk to them about that as well.

7. JulianDS

JulianDS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    166012B7-5A38-408E-8FDA-C16BBC4DD193.jpeg Here’s another example, dimmer unit and bypass - all needs to fit in!

8. RajP

RajP
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,094
    I have Fibaro and I would definitely recommend it.. I have been able to integrate it with all the lights in the house while replacing the switches with a modular lights which looked just like the existing ones.. and the lights were fairly cheap too.. I have so far full control over the outside lights, CCTV panel, All the downstairs lights, Garden Irrigation system, heating, Hot water etc etc etc... it has been running for 4 and a half years now without much interventation..

And yep.. I would definitely take Julians advice on getting the back boxed as deep as you can get installed..

9. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,881
    If the backboxes aren't deep enough, you can wire them in at the light end rather than the switch. Does exactly the same thing.

10. RajP

RajP
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,094
    Sorry.. should have said that too.. most of my in-house fibaro units are dimmers and as I have retrofitted them without digging into the walls, they are fitted at the light unit... and they work just fine except in the case of couple of them where the permenant live isn't present by the light fitting itself. however, in these cases, they are security lights and I have Alexa integration which switches them on for me.

11. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    +1 for Fibaro modules. Just bare in mind you will need some form of HA hub or controller. My poison of choice is Homeseer, but it’s not for the faint of heart. There are other products such as Fibaro Homecentre 2 or Homey which will do similar.