1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightguns & Rear Projection T.V.'s

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by steve morris, Mar 22, 2003.

1. steve morris

steve morris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi all

Itching to get me grubby hands on House Of The Dead III and a lightgun, but am a bit worried about whether the lightgun will work on a rear projection t.v.

Does anyone know if it will work or not??

A reply before the end of Sat 22nd March would be, quite literally, 'great'

Cheers

2. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    AFAIK, it won't work. I think lightguns only work on CRT monitors.

3. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    RL123 is right. They work in the arcades because they have optic sensors around the perimeter of the screen creating a grid. The light from the gun breaks this grid and therefore the software knows (thinks) where you are aiming

4. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as your rear projection TV is CRT based you should be ok.

Also, make sure to get a 100hz compatible gun if you TV is 100hz. Not all of them are.

I have a 100hz Rear Pro TV and I'm planning on getting HOTD3 with 2 of those Thrustmaster Beretta guns :D

5. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When I had my Sony RPTV, the only way a lightgun would work was in composite, in RGB it was useless. Very strange, but true.:D

6. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No offence, but what the fudge?

A light gun is just a sensor, it doesn't actually fire out a light beam. At least not on all the arcade games I've played ;)

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    Steve

how did you get on with this ????

by the way g|zzE on ntsc forum :cool:

8. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a sony rptv and all the light guns i have work fine.......

i just think light guns have an issue if the tv is 100 hz

9. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Originally posted by Robson, No offence, but what the fudge?

A light gun is just a sensor, it doesn't actually fire out a light beam. At least not on all the arcade games I've played

On Jurassic Park my explanation is 100% correct.
    Sorry if I was wrong about this thread

10. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which JP?, on Sega's Jurassic The Lost World(Arcade cabinet) it uses a standard light gun on it's Mitsubishi Rear pro display.

Sorry to be argumentative but I don't see how any 2-player game could work with your method. How would it know who fired for scoring purposes? What about ambient light or reflections? What about somebody sticking there hand past the sensor?

11. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Robson,
    Jurassic Park the Lost World sitdown (the one with the curtains) and The deluxe version both have Infra red. They are hidden behind the assembly mask just infront of the screen.
    Each gun has a sensor unit in it. The machine senses which gun is which via the setup menu/gun calibration screen.
    If you PM me I can send you official Drawings/Part numbers for the optos and the gun.
    You can buy the gun for about 191 ukp ex vat.

In fact go to http://www.suzo.co.uk and click on the sega section. You can then download the manual for Jurassic Park yourself. It is about 3.7mb though.

If you look in section 10.2 it gives clear details of the optos.
    and on page 86 gives you the schematics for the Gun sense board
    :smoke:

12. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.sgwservice.com/ also has the manual. When you look at the gun diagram it shows a sensor assembly which is incredibly similar to the one found in my Hotd2 gun which I took apart once to clean. But there is also a section on a LED assembly in front of the screen with 12 units attached each containing 2 led's. The confusing thing is that it says replace them if no light emission, but I.R. is invisible to the naked eye? But there is a bulletin on the site about Type II I.R. guns so you can enjoy your cigar!!! :blush:

Still seems a complicated and expensive way to do it, and does'nt explain why the screen still flashes on H.O.T.D. every time you fire.

But anyways enough of hijacking the original question to which is, yes Light guns on Xbox HOTD3 work on rear projection TV's.

Good night...

13. Cobraman

Cobraman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Robson

I've tried the Thrustmaster Beratta on XBOX HOTD3 on my Sagem HD45 and it wouldn't get past the setup screen (point gun and scren and press fire)?

Thrustmaster Tech support said this will NOT work with a Rear projection TV, but didn't explain why!

Could you tell us what gun you have working and your RPTV and whcih TV it is?

Thanks

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I have not come across one instance of a lightgun working on a 100Hz set regardless of what manufacturer's claim.

Anything that introduces a delay in the video signal relative to what the gun is expecting from its luma feed will at best make the gun wildly innacurate or non-functional. They could I suppose introduce some way for the gun to measure any delay and react accordingly but I doubt its a consistent delay on even a single set.

This is also why plasmas, dlps , lcd don't work with them. I have heard tales of them working with CRT projectors that are driving the tubes directly with no framebuffering and displaying interlaced standard video resolutions. In deed I seem to remember large arcade skeet shoots that were front projectors.

They should work fine with an interlaced 50Hz CRT rear projector but not with an LCD or DLP one or 100Hz CRT.