Lightboost on oled 706

Pascalvanw

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have the philips oled 706, which uses the same panel as the 806. I see some recommend setting lightboost setting to Off, while some others do recommend setting it to maximum.

If I set it to Off, during daytime this makes the picture so flat and dark, it's barely watchable. What does it actually do? Obviously it makes the picture more bright, but I've read and noticed it doesn't really change the picture quality and contrast and such, or am I wrong in this? I prefer not to have the image "enhanced" trough the th software.

Hope anyone can tell me more

Depends if you're talking about SDR or HDR content. For SDR (like normal TV signal), most recommended settings probably have it set to off to match 'standard' brightness levels, and you can raise or lower OLED contrast a bit to match your room settings. If your room is quite bright I'd try with lightboost off but OLED contrast fairly high (80ish maybe?), but if you want to go with lightboost min I think that's fine too, given the SDR 'official' peak brightness of 100 nits is quite low, especially for bright rooms.

For HDR though lightboost should be set the maximum, so that the TV can achieve the maximum potential brightness, and tracks accurately with brightness set in mastering.

Depends if you're talking about SDR or HDR content. For SDR (like normal TV signal), most recommended settings probably have it set to off to match 'standard' brightness levels, and you can raise or lower OLED contrast a bit to match your room settings. If your room is quite bright I'd try with lightboost off but OLED contrast fairly high (80ish maybe?), but if you want to go with lightboost min I think that's fine too, given the SDR 'official' peak brightness of 100 nits is quite low, especially for bright rooms.

For HDR though lightboost should be set the maximum, so that the TV can achieve the maximum potential brightness, and tracks accurately with brightness set in mastering.
If you mean by SDR, standard broadcast tv channels? For there i usually have it off in the nights.

For HDR, Dolby vision, i set light boost to max, so that's correct i guess? It was also set that way by default by the tv for Dolby vision/HDR. Even though some people say to set it to off for dolby vision too.

I have it set to max for HDR/DV and min for SDR as it’s very dim when off, to the point it’s only really useable in a properly dark room.

I have it set to max for HDR/DV and min for SDR as it’s very dim when off, to the point it’s only really useable in a properly dark room.
Ye it really is.

What do you have for oled contrast for sdr content? I've been having trouble understanding what it really does. Googling it is not giving me a very clear answer.

Could you or anyone else give me a shirt explanation of what it does? I already understand for dv/hdr it should be 100, but for sdr i read people really have their own preference.

Ye it really is.

What do you have for oled contrast for sdr content? I've been having trouble understanding what it really does. Googling it is not giving me a very clear answer.

Could you or anyone else give me a shirt explanation of what it does? I already understand for dv/hdr it should be 100, but for sdr i read people really have their own preference.

For day to day use I have a picture preset with OLED contrast set to 80, gamma set to 2.2 in SDR then use the ambient light sensor to automatically adjust the light output to the viewing conditions. Not the most accurate but it’s good enough just for streaming etc day to day and I don’t have to keep buggering around with settings.

I have another picture preset setup for watching blurays in a dark room, can’t remember the settings but light sensor is off, OLED contrast is much lower and gamma is set to 2.4 in that one.

For day to day use I have a picture preset with OLED contrast set to 80, gamma set to 2.2 in SDR then use the ambient light sensor to automatically adjust the light output to the viewing conditions. Not the most accurate but it’s good enough just for streaming etc day to day and I don’t have to keep buggering around with settings.

I have another picture preset setup for watching blurays in a dark room, can’t remember the settings but light sensor is off, OLED contrast is much lower and gamma is set to 2.4 in that one.
What's equals 2.2 gamma? I can set it from - 4 up to + 4 on the philips 706.

Thanks for the reply by the way, appreciate it.

Last edited:
What's equals 2.2 gamma? I can set it from - 4 up to + 4 on the philips 706.
Gamma 0 corresponds to 2.2 (1 = 2.25 / 2 = 2.3 / 3 = 2.35 / 4 = 2.4)
Lightboost is not the other, that intensity / power of oled light.
If you use the "warm" temperature: the "oled contrast" on 100 + lightboost "off" = 120 nit in the 10% window.
100+ lightboost on min. = 250 nits (average 350 and max around 450)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom