1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light up your plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Foxxsake, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Foxxsake

Foxxsake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all , just been messing about with some spare blue led lamps and power bulbs from my pc and have managed to configure them behind the plasma screen in such a way that when switched on you get a lovely blue glow coming from the back of the Tv and shining onto the wall and furniture surrounding it - its basically the same principal used to light up cars underneath and looks just as cool on your set - all you need are the lights - which are a couple of 2 foot long neon bulbs - 4 hi-bright laser leds 2 1 foot storm neon bulbs and a PC PSU power supply and with 4 - 8 molex connectors - looks pretty cool - once i get my digi camera recharged ill send you a pic !!!!

2. Foxxsake

Foxxsake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS - for added effect - buy another 1 , 2 , 3 or 4 - 2 foot bulbs and place them under the shelves (at the back) directly above your seperates such as sky box , dvd player etc , again the colour will light up the dark spaces above your seperate pieces of kit and it looks fantastic - you cant see the bulbs - just the blue colour lighting up the dark area .

3. fredde

fredde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Interesting project :) Can you please go a little further into details regarding connections and so on? Would also like a picture or two :)

Have you configured it so that it turns on when the TV turns on?

Please respond with some more info and a pic or two :smashin:

4. paxton

paxton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    This sounds interesting - I too would be interested in some piccies and details, if at all possible! :thumbsup:

5. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also like to see pictures!

Cheers,
    Wazy

6. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Wazy I'd appreciate it if you reply to my email

7. Foxxsake

Foxxsake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok had it all set up - but i had to connect evrything up to a motherboard to power the lights - then i figured out that by shorting out the black and grey wire connectors on a power supply unit - by using a bent staple into the connectors - you can fool the power unit into thinking it is plugged into a motherboard and it will supply power to all the lights - all you need are a PSU - (buy one second hand for a fiver) - some spare molex connectors and splitters (50p) and whatever lights you wish - (storm neons are good) - you get some double sided adhesive tape with the lights - that will stick to your tv - DONT USE IT - the intense heat on the back of the plasma causes the glue to dry and the light falls off /shatters - buy a tube of thermal glue for 2 quid and stick a tiny dab on - the bulb will never come off again - unless you spray a little squirt of lynx deoderant down the crack - this dissolves the glue - and you can remove the light without leaving one little mark on your tv

will post pics soon as i have the finished article - awaiting 3 more lights to complete the look

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    It had to happen sooner or later - a Max Power Plasma....:rolleyes:

Surely the blue light detracts from the screen?
    I prefer the area I'm looking at to be totally black so all I can see is the image on the screen.

9. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    The light's he is refering to are "cold Cathode's". Quick search on Google should help. Not stepping on your toes Foxxsake just trying to help.

10. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or....if you want to be really jazzy, why not get the front casing of your plasma rapid prototyped out of clear/frosted plastic and incorporate a couple of dimmed CC's inside :thumbsup: mmmmmmmmm

By the way, I have a little project on the cards to, i have designed a circuit that automatically turns on the lights in my my lounge when someone enters the room, via infrared beams, it then turns them off when you leave the room. It also remembers how many people are in the room so it does not turn them off if there is still people in the room. Anyway, I am thinking of link this up to the plasma for auto power up or if I dont choose to do that, im thinking of adding a sensor in the wall by my sofa that when you wave your had in front of it it will power up the plasma :clap: :hiya: :thumbsup:

Russ