• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Light Switch Question

chump

Prominent Member
I'm hopeless when it comes to electrics so am after a bit of advice.

The light switch in the kitchen is starting to intermittently fail. Occasionally when I switch it on the light won't actually come on. If I give it a whack (once its in the 'on' position)they do. So potentially the actual switching mechanism isn't functioning correctly.

I've taken the face plate off. The are two brown wires going into the 'Top' of the switch (light switch off) and one brown wire into the 'Bottom' of the switch (light switch on). Wiggling the face plate around while the wires are still attached - the lights turn on and off and there is a cracking electrical noise. It looks like maybe the single brown wire to the bottom may not be seated correctly under the retaining screw.

Obviously to take this wire out and re-seat it i'll have to have the power off. My fuse box has a switch for the 'lights' (well 3 actually but i've found the one that switches off the kitchen lights).

If I turn off this in the fuse box - it will turn off the lights but does that also turn off the power in the switch. Don't really fancy a jolt is all :)

paulktreg

Established Member
If everything's wired as it should be then removing the fuse/breaker (usually 5A) will remove all the power to the lights and their associated switches. f you're in any doubt you're better off switching all the power off at the main switch.

chump

Prominent Member
thanks. i have a multi meter i use on the car. could i use this to check power at the switch? Not sure if the voltage would be too high for it. Thanks :)

paulktreg

Established Member
The voltage is probably too high unless it has a 250VAC or higher range?

If the light in question goes out when you pull the fuse you can be fairly sure the switch will be dead as well.

IronGiant

as above, never ever rely on an RCD to protect you for lack of good practice

Peridot

Prominent Member
Well said IG.

An RCD tripping, under any circumstances, is NOT a sign that your protection has worked, it is a clear indication that your protection has FAILED.

It's a lot easier to turn off the main switch and be certain.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom