light switch problem-any ideas?

Sly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi,
i have moved my HC gear into my front room as my son needs his own room (7 months old and growing fast!).
i would like to be able to dim the lights but there are two switchs for the room,one in the hall and one in the room itself.also the one in the hall has 3 switches on it.
any ideas?

can you not do away with the switch in the hallway, bridge the connection and just fit a dimmer inside the room

well the one in the hall will be a two way switch already, so can you not just buy a 2 way dimmer switch to fit in the room itself? if you switch he light on using the hall switch it will just be a case of the room being dimmed to the level at which you last left the dimmer set to.

Yep, just need a "master" dimmer switch and connect all three wires up as they are now :)

Yep, just need a "master" dimmer switch and connect all three wires up as they are now :)

not refered to as a master dimmer switch...as i say the correct term is "2 way dimmer" youll find these in wixes, b&q, even wilkos.

As i say make sure you get a 2 way dimmer and NOT a 1 way as that will not work correctly

well the one in the hall will be a two way switch already, so can you not just buy a 2 way dimmer switch to fit in the room itself? if you switch he light on using the hall switch it will just be a case of the room being dimmed to the level at which you last left the dimmer set to.

but then you will have switch it on and off from the hallway, do you really need 2 way switching? or it will be when switched off in bedroom,it will come on full in the bedroom if switched on from the hall,great if he is asleep

but then you will have switch it on and off from the hallway, do you really need 2 way switching? or it will be when switched off in bedroom,it will come on full in the bedroom if switched on from the hall,great if he is asleep

No, if the dimmer is 2-way then either the Hall switch or dimmer can switch the light on and off just as is the case now. This is the simplest way to get dimming control as it only involves changing the switch in the room and without any cabling reconfiguration.

Dead right Neilball the whole point of two way switching is that you can switch on and off from either end.

Although why this is two way in the first place is a little puzzling??

Usually found top and bottom of stairs or a through room ?

Steve

not refered to as a master dimmer switch...

"Thank you for choosing Varilight.... For 2 way (or Multi-Way switching) use this Master Unit...."

:thumbsup:

On a standard two way dimmer system,I too would consider the correct industry standard term as "two way" and not "master".

HOWEVER I know there are much more complicated systems that do use a master and slave set up in order that you can dim from from BOTH switches,which generally is not possible .

In this instance I dont see how the term "master" applies,if any switch should be considered the "master" it should be the one with the switch line going to it ...which could be either.
Its all a matter of terminology.

Steve

No, if the dimmer is 2-way then either the Hall switch or dimmer can switch the light on and off just as is the case now. This is the simplest way to get dimming control as it only involves changing the switch in the room and without any cabling reconfiguration.

sorry after 2 bottles of wine my thought train was a bit squiffy:rolleyes:

just wanted to thank everyone for their input , will be off to B&Q thursday!
:)

hi,
have got a bit confused with the wiring in my house!!!
there seems to be 1 single core (red) and 2 three core (red,black and yellow/green) whatever combination doesnt seem to work as it should,any ideas?

Did you take note / can you remember how it was wired before you changed anything? The red is probably the switched live, but might not be!

Hi Sly
I know you had my PM which detailed how it should be.

Yours is either very old or incorrectlly done using the wrong cable (which doesnt necessarily make it dangerous).
Just stupidly awkward
To get some idea of what is going on you need to have a look at the other end of the 2 way.

You shoul have both switches looking exactly the same for the 2 way part and ONE of them sould have the switch line across L1 and L2.
Regards
Steve

More thoughts when you say you have a yellow/green I assume you mean an earth with sleeving on?

If so and this is being used as a conductor to the switch (I have seen that) or if we are talking about this being flex as opposed to cable.

I have only one bit of advice and thats dont re connect get an electrician.

If you have a digital camera post a picture of both switch connections.

What I guess may have been done is that the single red is the live in which goes back up one of the other 4 you have (not counting the earths).That leaves 3 which will provide the 2 way working.

So you have enough cables but the wrong colours so you cannot identify them.You should have ONE 3 core and earth cable between the two switches coloured RED and BLUE and YELLOW AND earth

Regards

Steve

will have 2 sort out sum piccies of both ends for you.
was doing it with my dad so may wait until he comes round again before i take switches off again.
i think he said that the other switch had a cable in the wrong place but he couldnt understand why it worked two way before but not with dimmer even though it was wired the same!!!

sounds like a nice piece of DYI

thought i would post on this old thread again as i still dont have this sorted. put the dimmer on in front room but then cant turn off on other switch and vice versa.

switch in room.

Attachments

• IMAG0242.jpg
    IMAG0242.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0243.jpg
    IMAG0243.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 68
switch in hall.

Attachments

• IMAG0245.jpg
    IMAG0245.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 65
On the dimmer switch try putting the 2 reds which are currently together in the middle terminal (looks like it says l2). and the single red which is currently in l2 into the left hand terminal

On the dimmer switch try putting the 2 reds which are currently together in the middle terminal (looks like it says l2). and the single red which is currently in l2 into the left hand terminal

that worked a treat!

thanks!

:thumbsup:

Good stuff mate. Glad your sorted now. The pics made it so much easier to explain what goes where :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom