Light Pollution

bitofatit

Novice Member
Got any views? This is a growing problem and from what little I've heard the soultion should be fairly simple to reduce /avoid. i.e. special street lighting that throws the light down and not up and out as it were.
The council are building a new road at the bottom of my garden sometime next year - its basically a field at the moment. Can't do anything about the road / traffic etc but at least I thought I could try and get the council to put in street lights that are not going to shine directly into my bedroom every night!!

How best to approach this and should I start a blog!!

pave

Banned
bitofatit said:
Got any views? This is a growing problem and from what little I've heard the soultion should be fairly simple to reduce /avoid. i.e. special street lighting that throws the light down and not up and out as it were.
The council are building a new road at the bottom of my garden sometime next year - its basically a field at the moment. Can't do anything about the road / traffic etc but at least I thought I could try and get the council to put in street lights that are not going to shine directly into my bedroom every night!!

How best to approach this and should I start a blog!!
Have a look here.....

http://www.nsca.org.uk/pages/environment_facts/light_pollution_law.cfm

If you have no joy...Try here......

http://www.blackoutcurtains.com/blackoutcurtains.htm

Setenza

Novice Member
I've have a friend who's a keen amateur astronomer, and light pollution has increased to such an extent that certain constellations are no onger visible from certain urban locations.

I also have a neighbour with an external light with motion sensor. This frequently goes on and off during the course of the evening and it's quite a nuisance. Thank god for heavy curtains.

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
i think you'll find that almost all street lights have been replaced with downward facing ones over the last 5 years since this was last raised as some sort of moral panic.....

there is one problem...in an area with a reasonably dense population, if you dont have adaquete street lighting then you raise the chances of muggings/rapings/kidnappings.........personally i'd rather not see a few stars than get the living crap beaten out of me for my phone on the way home late one night....

i understand for those who like watching the stars this can prove a problem, but like i say, i'm sure even they would rather have to buy more powerful equipment or take time to go to the rural areas to persue their hobby than get the crap kicked out of them one night walking home from a pub/restaurant/friends house etc...

Astraeus

You see that pitch black area in the south-west of Ireland? It's where I spend a fair portion of my summer every year. I think they still burn oil in some of the street lamps...

Jammyb

Novice Member
Knyght_byte said:
there is one problem...in an area with a reasonably dense population, if you dont have adaquete street lighting then you raise the chances of muggings/rapings/kidnappings.........personally i'd rather not see a few stars than get the living crap beaten out of me for my phone on the way home late one night....

i understand for those who like watching the stars this can prove a problem, but like i say, i'm sure even they would rather have to buy more powerful equipment or take time to go to the rural areas to persue their hobby than get the crap kicked out of them one night walking home from a pub/restaurant/friends house etc...
But if man cannot look up and see the stars and dream of what was, what is and what may be, then what is to stop him from becoming the beast of which you speak?

Living in Coventry now and being next to Birmingham you can't see any stars. Buying more powerful equipment isn't going to change that.

I think the muggers round here prefer to operate with decent light anyway, difficult to see what you're getting in the dark.

I don't think the argument is for turning street lights off, but just for trying to get as much of the light to shine in a useful direction.

ush flynn

Novice Member
Ciarán said:
You see that pitch black area in the south-west of Ireland? It's where I spend a fair portion of my summer every year. I think they still burn oil in some of the street lamps...
i hope your joking, i have a house in west cork, castletownshend near skibbereen to be exact and there pretty much isnt any street lights around until you get to a bigger town when there is a few dotted around. But as for burning oil. Ive never seen such a thing!
As for star gazing, only one place ive been too was better than the west coast of ireland and that was bolivia. Seeing what the bottom half of the world sees in the sky is crazy. and there wasnt a building for 100 miles let along a street light. people underestimate how much of the night sky is invisible from 90% of this country

Astraeus

ush flynn said:
i hope your joking, i have a house in west cork, castletownshend near skibbereen to be exact and there pretty much isnt any street lights around until you get to a bigger town when there is a few dotted around. But as for burning oil. Ive never seen such a thing!
As for star gazing, only one place ive been too was better than the west coast of ireland and that was bolivia. Seeing what the bottom half of the world sees in the sky is crazy. and there wasnt a building for 100 miles let along a street light. people underestimate how much of the night sky is invisible from 90% of this country
Yup, I was joking. It was a reference to how they've not developed the street lighting to anywhere near the extent of this 'light pollution' in central England. Neither have I seen an oil-burning street lamp, it was merely an exaggeration.