1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light guns on rear projection TV's

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Dr.Rock, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Are there any PS2 lightguns that work on rear projection TV's?

My brother and his wife were given a 42-inch rear projection TV as a house-warming present. So with a burst of anticipation, they bought a PS2 + games + accesories to play on that beast of a TV set. Their PS2 spending spree included the game "Time Crisis 2" with a couple of lightguns. To their dispair, the lightguns didn't work on a number of types of TV (projection, rear-prohection, plasma, 100Hz) and they didn't know that until when they opened the box and read the instructions. Nevertheless, we tried to connect it up and just see if their was any freak exception that could get the guns working, but in vain. My brother was especially looking forward to playing TC2 with the gun, and is wondering if there are any guns that do work on a TV of his type.

Thanks.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't think so m8 :(

Wouldn't mind one myself for my 92" screen from Panasonic PT_AE100 :rolleyes:

3. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they work on rear pro but not if the tv is 100hz...

works fine on my 41" sony...

4. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    No light gun will work on any 100hz tv it is due to the picture scanning 100 times a second instead of 50 like on 50hz.

Happy Gaming(but not with a light gun on 100hz tv's)

5. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That explains it then. My brother's Toshiba 42" rear projection beast is a 100Hz. I don't know if the TV has a feature where we can adjust it down to a 50Hz.

6. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If light guns do not work on 100Hz TVs, then that means light guns won't work on 70-80% of all TVs and most TVs today are 100Hz.

7. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    More like 5-10% of tv's are 100hz.
    Only tv's at the higher end of the price spectrum are 100hz.

90% of people will just go for the cheapest tv they can get.

100hz technology is becoming better and more widespread but is usually only found on the more expensive models just go into your local electrical dealer and see what I mean.

:confused: ;) :D

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm... I didn't know this fact myself so I've just been keeping a watchful eye on the replies. Its a real shame since Time Crisis II is pretty sweet, esp. in 2 player mode. So I doubt that even with the video out connection from the gun to the PS2 would make a difference...

Real shame indeed >_<

9. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I know what you mean Neoblade
    About 2 years ago when I first got HOTD2 for dreamcast bundled with the gun and got it home and sat in front of my toshiba 28inch 100hz tv trying to configure the gun for about 3 hours,I then phoned every tv manufacturer I could also sega and they all confirmed it I was bloody gutted.

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think they will come up with a solution? I know the light gun genre isn't the largest but they are still fun to play... I'm sure there must be a way around this...

<-- more hopeful than anything

11. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I hope so but I cannot see it I think technology will have to move on and I think the guns would become more expensive.

I do not rearlly know how the guns work but I think all they do is send a infared signal to the tv but a 100hz tv scans at double the speed of a standard tv so scans to fast for the guns signal?

I think they would have done it by now if they could but who knows?

12. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just a thought, but how difficult would it be for manufacturers to make a lightgun that reads from a 100 Hz reflection/input instead of 50Hz ?

Yeah, the connections are weird on a lightgun, it has to connect to both to the TV and PS2 - but then all that connecting, callibration, following the leads to make sure you've connected it correctly when you wonder why it won't work, then hours later you turn a page on the manual to read that it won't work on your type ov TV anyway! :mad:

13. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know how hard it would be to make a gun like that... Though the easier option would be to include a pure 50Hz option on the TV. Thankfully the new Tosh does so Duck Hunt lives on! ^_^

14. slay

slay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cant get a light gun to work on my 40" tosh even when switched to 50Hz mode, think its something to do with the anti reflective coating on the screen :-((((((((((((((((((

15. pkmuppet

pkmuppet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have a 40 inch tosh, the light guns work fine, it's only a 50hz, so what ever the reason, it's not the anti reflective surface, i thought lights guns worked by using the fact that there are two fields ( ok so i'm not sure abiout this technically, the difference between 50hz and 100hz) so it's not possible to make them for 100hz, i'm sure they don't fire ir beams at the tv, i think they read something in the refresh, ok so you tech heads may have a better idea

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    yes lightguns read the screen othing is actually fired out the gun . Bit vague myself but they use timing information from the sync to figure out where the gun is looking relative to the image. If the gun is looking at the right place denoted by a flashing patch on the image you won't actually see yourself (it looks when you pull the trigger) you score a hit if not you get a miss.

The problem is not down to the 100Hz nature of the image but delay introduce to the display by necessity of the analogue to digital conversion required by TVs of this type on the incoming signal. If you knew the exact delay and it was consistent from set to set you could probably get the gun to work by factoring it in to the software. I saw some posts alluding to this with a few wega TV sets supposedly working with the Gcon2 but was unable to verify it.

I do like the Gcon though its very convincing on Time Crisis even down to having to aim fairly accurately.

17. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There is a 100HZ compatible light gun out there, its called the Scorpion 3 - I only found it in littlewoods catalouge and ordered it a while ago - but there is a delay

Fingers crossed that its accurate.

18. HelloMoto

HelloMoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Any update on this?

I have the Sony KDFE50A12 will this gun work on it?

Cheers :hiya:

19. dan653

dan653

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    i got one of these http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=266&products_id=8565& about 5/6 months ago when i got my LCD (tosh 32wlt66) it works on all display types lcd/plasma/100hz crt/etc via two motion sensing bars which need mounting/hanging from either side of the screen, its compatible with pc (usb), xbox and ps2 (including gcon 2) and all for just under £30 inc delivery + customs charges

20. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    But how well does it work?

21. dan653

dan653

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    works really well imho only really used it with the ps2 though as i havent got round to wall mounting the lcd yet and therefore working out something more permanent for mounting the motion bars as setting it all up is a bit overkill for a quick blast on time crisis 3, worth the £30 though

ign review http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/689/689009p1.html