light fuse & stand well back, do not return to thread once lit.....

Gary D

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the last few weeks the xbox chaps and chapesses on this forum have come in for quite a pasting.

so i have a question for the PS2 owning folks.

if the PS2 is as "all that" as you claim it is then name 15 AAA titles for the Ps2 that are exclusive to the console. Games that you would recommend to anyone buying the console and wants to buy 15 AAA tiles.

The rules of the thread will allow PC conversions (as the PC seems to get everything in time even when the converstion is sh*te), and all titles must be out and avaible to buy now, not in six months time.

ok, i'll make it easy for you here is the first four GTA3, GT3, FFX, Pro Evo, only 11 to go.......

the fuse it lit, have a good time.....................

Gary

I've been called a Sega/Nintendo/Sony fanboy during my years on the net purely because I just dish out suitable advice to those who want it and often people (fanboys) don't like it. Anyways heres my list of current and up and coming games that IMO are worth looking out for.

Note: I have not conformed to Garyd's rule of games only out now because I feel that the Xbox list would be even shorter than the PS2's. However... The timespan for the games not released yet will be within 6 months. Just for debates sake I will list the up and coming games with a double asterisk. BTW this is far from the definite list and is only my view of what games I would buy because they are fun and caters for multiple genres... Also due to lack of concentration I might have missed out a few titles ^_^

GTA3
GT3
FFX
FFX-2**
FFXI
MGS2 (Not substance)
Pro Evo 2
Tekken 4
VF4
Guilty Gear XX**
Breath of Fire V**
Star Ocean III**
XenoSaga**
Suikoden III***
Unlimited Saga**
Tales of Destiny 2**
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits**
Wild Arms III
Kingdom Hearts
Jak and Daxter
Devil May Cry 2**
Red Faction II**
Time Crisis II
Tomb Raider** (Not to my liking but there are still fans out there)
The Mark of Kri
Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland
Virtual On: Marz**

*** = This title might be ported to the Xbox soon if rumours are true.

Are these supposed to be exclusive to the PS2? I'm sure that Tomb Raider and MGS2 are coming out on the Xbox at least. I'm no expert but I thought I had heard talk of those two. I stand to be corrected.

S

Let me quote...

MGS2 (Not substance)

Hopefully that made sense. MGS2:Substance is the PS2 and Xbox version. I was talking about the original.

As for Tomb Raider it has only been annouced for the PS2 and PC as far as I know. If anyone has a reputable URL to confirm that this isn't the case then please post it as a reference. I also stand ready to be corrected.

OK, missunderstood. I'm sure I have heard TR will be out on the Xbox. Maybe I made that up in my mind. 'Er indoors will not be happy if it's not I can tell you. I would have thought that making a PC version will ease it's move to the Xbox, even if it takes some time.

Maybe I'll have to get me a PS2 as well to keep her happy.

S

To be honest with you, I would be surprised if Tomb Raider wasn't on the Xbox as well. I could have my sources wrong so I'll have a re-check once I get back from work.

I don't want to split hairs, but doesn't "MGS2: Substance" replace MGS2? I mean, if I can buy Substance, why would I want the original?

Well he did say out now and I was just trying to keep Garyd happy ^_^ MGS2:Substance is different from the original though and I won't post any spoilers just to prove my point. Is there anything else on that list that needs debating? So I can have a proper look once I get back from work just as an attempt to keep my list somewhat right... Plus I'll bring home some coffee since I ran out >_<

A couple more:

GTA: Vice City
Ratchett & Clank
The Getaway

Does anyone really care though, as it all depends on what you like playing.

If some of the new xbox titles are must haves, and i can't get them on the PC or PS2 i will probably buy one.

Can't see the point in slagging off the xbox even if it is made by M$

Agreed. I've been reading up a bit on the new Tomb Raider games and they look good. I found one preview that mentioned the fact that it was coming out next year on PC and PS2 but would not be out on the Xbox 'yet'. As Eidos do support the Xbox, I cannot imagine that they will miss the chance, especially as it should be a conversion from the PC version. However, Eidos are known to take their time over things so I guess TR on the Xbox may be some months away yet. If they confirm that it will be PS2 only, I will probably get one for the missus as she is TR mental.

S

Neo blade I like your taste in games I just got wild arms 3 myself not tried it yet.

The sad thing is a lot of the great games you mention will not make it here or if they do they will not sell because as far as europe is concerned FF is king you only have too look at squares awful release record on the psx in europe to see that (no Xenogears or chrono cross) also do not expect to see FFXI until at least 2004 and we may never see Unlimited Saga,Star Ocean III,Guilty Gear XX,Tales of Destiny 2,Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits or Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland over here.

This is not a dig at any console (I own all three infact I have a US and UK cube a Jap and test ps2 and a us X-Box) but some of the games in your list(mark of Kri and the Getaway) are very poor products that will only sell because the hype around them will force the sheep to buy them sadly for a machine that has been around for nearly 2 years in europe the ps2 has a very small list of truly great games(remember this is europe I am talking about not Japan or the U.S).

The sheep will buy what they are told to buy a prime example is the amount of people returning PES2 today to get FIFA because it has official player names even though it is the worst football game on any format and cannot hold a candle to pro.

nice to see that no one could answer the question.

As for tomb raider its a PS2 and PC exclusive for at least six after release under an agreement between sony and Eidos.

Quote:
"Note: I have not conformed to Garyd's rule of games only out now because I feel that the Xbox list would be even shorter than the PS2's."

the question was NOT about a list of xbox games, it was about AAA titles for the PS2, you cannot use games that aren't out as no one really knows if they are going to be any good or not. We have all looked forward to games in the past that we are promised are going to be fantastic, only to find out that they are not.

The point i'm trying to make here is that blind brand loyality is pointless, i've never ever said that the xbox is better than the PS2 in terms of gameplay (techically its better and no one can argue with that, unless you are deaf and blind) i still play GTA3 and GT3 as they are fantastic games.

As for AAA titles for the xbox, i'd include the following:

Halo (God in game form)
DOA3
Jet Set Radio Future
PGR

thats four at least that would conform to the rule of one game every two months since UK launch, as for upcoming games i could safely include at least four or five more that will be out by christmas. Yes the list would be shorter than that of the PS2, but you would expect that from a machine that not been as around as long. Off the top of my head i can think of at least four AAA titles for the Cube, (Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey ball, Mario Sunshine and Super Smash) again, from a machine that has not been around as long.

So is there anybody out there who can answer the question based on what can be purchased right now? or is the PS2's market postion really all "smoke and mirrors" with very little substance?

Gary

AAA Exclusives for the Gamecube

Super Smash Melee
Super Monkeyballs 1 & 2
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil (Updated Edition)
Beach Spikers
Super Mario Sunshine
Pikmin
Animal Crossing
Godzilla (this will come to other platforms I think)
Starfox Adventures
Rogue Leader

Quite a list for a console in it's first year.

BTW. I disagree on your PGR being listed as a AAA title. IMO this is one of the worst driving games I have ever played, shiny bump-mapping does not make up for the sluggish controls and poor handling.

I've spent more time playing PGR than any other driving game I've ever owned - including Wip3Out, which I loved. It's a fun game, and it's not supposed to be accurate (unlike GT which is a fun-free zone), but I'm still not sure where the sluggish criticism comes from. Unless you haven't progressed beyond the first few cars? (That's not a dig)
I would defintely include PGR in the Xbox AAA list. Not so sure about DOA3 though. Can't think of any more I'd add to the list either. There's going to have to be some additions pretty quick or I'll be defecting to a 'cube by XMas.

I didn't like MSR on the DC much either. You may be right and the beginning cars make the game feel much worse than it is, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

The only racing games I would rate was Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Wipeout 2097, GT (the original), Rage Racer and GP 3 on the PC. Wouldn't want to comment on Colin Mcrae as I didn't play it enough to form a decent judgement. Looking forward to trying out 3 on my PC though.

I quite liked Need for Speed Hot Pursuit mainly for the police roadblock antics even though the game was lame.

Sorry for going a little off topic, but I am not really interested in PS2 games, as I am a Nintendo and PC fanboy :p

JamesOD, hehe cheers mate, although I didn't list the Getaway but I did for Mark of Kri... The action fighter on the PS2 seems a bit light and that was the only one that catered for that genre >_<

As for the games not coming out in the UK, thats is still a major issue sadly which is why I have a modded PS2. The games will be out in the USA and thats all that matters to me. IMO the PAL videogame list is far too slow and a lot of great RPGs and other titles never make it across. As you've listed Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, XenoGears, Valkyrie Profile, Lunar II, Dew Prism (just a bit of Action RPG fun) and Dragon Quest VII never made it over to the UK and Europe which is a crime in itself. With such titles missing (bar Lunar II) its no wonder FF is the current king of RPGs.

Chances are we won't see XenoSaga, Unlimited Saga, Tales of Destiny, Arc the Lad and possibly a few others in Europe which is a great shame. So many quality titles not arriving to our shores just illustrates why gamers want to modify their console. Not to mention the often poor PAL ports european gamers recieve but thats a totally seperate debate ^_^

Garyd, to be honest with you, I never saw an Xbox owner answering the question for their own console either... Plus I like the way you wrote this sentance -

The point i'm trying to make here is that blind brand loyality is pointless, i've never ever said that the xbox is better than the PS2 in terms of gameplay (techically its better and no one can argue with that, unless you are deaf and blind)

Contradiction? Lets see your list of games if it means so much to you. After all, if you are happy with a console then there isn't a need to defend it so much.

I wouldn't list any DoA game near the top fighting list personally bar the Arcades first DoA. If you ignore the ::cough:: physics, the first DoA had decent fighting mechanics but DoA2 was badly balanced and DoA3 is a bit of a joke. Sure it looks pretty, sounds good but it plays like a dog IMO. The only thing its good for is to get mashers playing the game.

PGR I will hold my judgement for since I haven't played it long enough but I know its trying to differentiate from GT3 and the like. Rage Racer was decent for the PSX as an arcade racer and WipEout 2097 is godly. Sadly for me GP3 runs a tad slow so I've stuck to GPL, Rally Championship 2k and CMR2 until I get CMR3 on the PC of course.

i'm still waiting for some to come up with a list of AAA titles for the PS2, at the moment NOBODY has done that except for you but you didn't stick to the rules of the thread. you talked about games that aren't out and indeed haven't even been confirmed for europe.

So the question is you have a mate who wants a PS2 and he has enough cash for 15 titles what would you recommend he/she buys? or do you admit to that person that after over two years, the console doesn't have 15 solid AAA titles. i'm trying to assertain why it is that some members are so slaveish in the love of the PS2. therefore the logical question is ask is what are the titles worth owning? So i thought i'd ask and and go for a AAA title for every two months of the consoles life thus far.

Gary

Well if the console was for a mate of mine I was first ask what genres he or she enjoys. Believe it or not some people like wrestling games! ::wears flame jacket:: <g> Once he or she has given me a list of genres I will then make up a list of the best games within those genres. I tend to offer individual advice since the console is for that person in question, rather than for the whole world.

If you like, you can list any genre you want and I'll come up with a suitable list... By all means all of the games won't be popular with some.. Like for example flight sims. Its hardly a mass market thing but for enthusiasts its godly. Same for GPL.. Hardly a beginners title but for harcdore race fans its perfect. Of course all consoles do have a few "must have" titles but then that is also debatable since personal preference takes over.

i think you are starting to get a padantic with your replys neoblade, so i'll make it easy - "your mate" likes all genres of games. what 15 would you pick, as i pointed out in previous post i dont like the FF games but hey alot of people do. I'm not talking about games you like, i'm talking about games that have consistantly got high marks, not a high mark from some mag thats in the pay of the publisher.

is it really so difficult to come up with 15 undisputed AAA titles?

Gary

So the question is you have a mate who wants a PS2 and he has enough cash for 15 titles what would you recommend he/she buys? or do you admit to that person that after over two years, the console doesn't have 15 solid AAA titles. i'm trying to assertain why it is that some members are so slaveish in the love of the PS2. therefore the logical question is ask is what are the titles worth owning? So i thought i'd ask and and go for a AAA title for every two months of the consoles life thus far.

I didn't see "any genre" worded here... Plus you have structured the question in a personal manner.

So the question is you have a mate who wants a PS2 and he has enough cash for 15 titles what would you recommend he/she buys?

And indeed I gave my answer to that very question.

To be honest I believe the SNES is the only console that has 15 undisputed AAA games and so far the PS2, GC and Xbox doesn't come close.

neo, your missing the point on purpose, but i thank you for at least tackling it - respect for that.

Gary

I was just simply correcting you since you called me padantic, however I'll come up with a list when I get back from work. Sadly bills don't pay themselves >_<

Originally posted by NeoBlade
To be honest I believe the SNES is the only console that has 15 undisputed AAA games and so far the PS2, GC and Xbox doesn't come close.

N64 had exactly 3. (bonus points for guessing them)

Goldeneye.
Perfect Dark
Zelda
Still the best console :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom