• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Light Fitting Help Needed!

R

reggaetonto

just disconnected old light fitting. tried to connect new one but does not work. now also all the lights in the house dont work plus the tv aeriel signal has gone. the old fitting had 8 connections with a loop. the new fitting has just got live neutral+earth on it. where the mains comes through the ceiling there are 5 sets of wires:- 3 with L,E,N, 1 with L,L,E, and 1 with just live+neutral. do i need to connect the new fitting using a loop connection which was originally there? HELP!:lease:

clockworks

You need to replace the original "rose" with a 4-way "chocolate block" connector strip, then connect the new fitting to that.

OCukScoobyDoo

You need to connect them all into a connector block exactly the same way as they were originally connected to your rose to keep the loop.

What's happened is that you've broken the loop so power isnt getting to any of the other lights.

james the spark

Standard Member
hi there ill try my best with the info youve gave ok then

the 3 sets of L,N,E connect the 3 L,s together 3 N,s together and 3 E,s together

the L,L,E thats your switch wire so one of the L,s to go with the other 3 L,s and the other one to go on to the light thats your switch wire

the one with just live and nutral put them in where they were befor it must be flex cos i dont remember T+E without a earth hope this help if u need ne more help gimme a shout

clockworks

james the spark said:
hi there ill try my best with the info youve gave ok then

the 3 sets of L,N,E connect the 3 L,s together 3 N,s together and 3 E,s together

the L,L,E thats your switch wire so one of the L,s to go with the other 3 L,s and the other one to go on to the light thats your switch wire

the one with just live and nutral put them in where they were befor it must be flex cos i dont remember T+E without a earth hope this help if u need ne more help gimme a shout

Old lighting cable didn't have an earth, so an old house may have a mix of earthed and non-earthed lighting circuits.

You're probably correct that it's flex, though. The OP said that his aerial amp had also stopped working.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom