light control with pronto...

S

snuffy1

I have just ordered the philips pronto... off letsautomate.co.uk and want to know if any of you have IR conrolled light switches. I want something half decent but under £50... any recommendations would be grateful...

thanks all....

B&Q/Homebase usually do a single-way IR switch - not sure how much though but quite cheap,

also letsautomate.com do this one for £22.15 (they have the pronto codes to download):
http://www.letsautomate.com/10163.cfm?CFID=39615&CFTOKEN=14609451

They also do these which are a lot more expensive. This is what I have as I needed to control a 2-way light (controlled by 2 switches) and this is the only IR solution I found to do it:
http://www.letsautomate.com/10450.cfm?CFID=39615&CFTOKEN=14609451

I got mine from www.tlc-direct.com for about £12 delivered. Just programme the dimmer with any spare button on your remote.

Mark.

The remote dimmers from the link above work with low voltage lighting

Remote Control and Touch
1 GANG Master Dimmers
40w - 400w or 700w

A revolutionary new range of touch and remote control dimmer switches.

A touch sensitive button in the centre of the plate and a tiny lens in the centre of the button
so as to not spoil the overall look of the product.

You can dim the lights using touch control or remotely .
The master dimmer switches are one way but can be used in conjunction with slave units
in a multi-way circuit (including intermediate and 2 way)
so that the lights can be dimmed from more than one location.

In this type of circuit you should use one master dimmer and any number of slave units
with three wires directly connecting each switch (as is usual in a 2 way circuit).

Using trailing edge technology, they can be used for mains or low voltage lighting

Mark.

An alternative is to use X10 switches, also available from Lets Automate. This allows you to control lights anywhere from a single location and line of site is only required to a single box which sends the X10 signal through the mains.

Mark, can you confirm that the dimmer switch will work with wire-wound transformer type halogens?

The X10 one doesn't - it gives a loud buzzing noise, even when switched off.

I'm still planning to X10 other stuff, but want to get the main lounge light sorted too.

oh, and how do you use a 'spare' button on a pronto? Is there a dummy code you can use? I only ever learn other remotes or download ccfs...

Originally posted by richard plumb
Mark, can you confirm that the dimmer switch will work with wire-wound transformer type halogens?

Direct quote from the instructions:-

Can be used for GU10 or similar HiSpot mains halogen bulbs (dimmer raiting must be double the max load of the lights)
Not suitable for non-toroidal wire-wound transformers.

oh, and how do you use a 'spare' button on a pronto? Is there a dummy code you can use? I only ever learn other remotes or download ccfs...
I suggest you borrow a friends remote, learn a button and then programme the dimmer with that.

Hope these help

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom