1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light bleeding on LCD tv's

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by sponshagga, Jan 4, 2004.

1. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a thomson 27" after a lot of net research. I avoided the LG 30" and the phillips 23" as I heard they both have a problem with light bleeding around the edges and guess what? The Thomson does it too! I can't be bothered with the hassle of sending it back, my health is poor and it was the last in the shop . It's not too bad. Only visible with the lights off and 4:3. Its in the top right corner. The thing is this seems to be a recurring theme and I don't think manufacturers should be producing something sub standard at this price (or any price!) So maybe we should start a list of LCD's that have this light bleed problem. So here's number 1:

The Thomson 27" 27LCDB03

2. gp2229

gp2229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As mentioned the LG RZ30LZ13 has this problem, although I think the severity does vary from model to model. My previous model LG MW30LZ10 had the issue but a replacement was much improved. My current RZ30LZ13 is quite bad bottom left corner.

Graham

3. Ice

Ice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's number 3 on the list:

LG RZ-15LA31 (15" screen size)

Mine is around 6 months old, and I have noticed the problem quite early on. The light bleed is more noticeable on the bottom edge (both left and right hand sides), and affects pictures with a high black content. I have not noticed much effect when the picture contains brighter colours.

Cheers,
    Ice :cool:

4. rover

rover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    As I reported in June last year, I have had this problem with one LG 17" and two Samsung 17" LCDs. All were returned and I gave up on LCD TVs.

5. Ice

Ice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rover,

Did you experience a lot of hassle returning your LG back? I'd appreciate some advice on whether to deal with LG direct (about having a replacement) or whether I should return it back to the retailer.

Cheers,

6. foxyloxy

foxyloxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I have an LG MW30LZ10 and I noticed this too - in my case I worked out that it was as a result of the "screen saver" being switched on. It appears that the way the screen saver works is to insert a pixel wide white line at one of the sides of the screen. This white line then over time changes from bottom to left to top and then to right. Switching off the screen saver and the problem was gone. My understanding is that with an LCD screen a static image would need to be on the display for 24hrs before it "burnt in" anway.

Steve

7. mikyb

mikyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

I judt bought a Grundig Amira 26" LCD TV
    when i plugged it into my home theatre system I was amazed how awesome the picture and color was .. well i felt like that till night time came and then I started to notice the light bleeding from all sides of the screen.
    As I am a horror movie buff and most of the movies i watch are dark the light bleeding is very visable.

I returned the TV the next day and replaced it for another. I came home pluged it in and you know what 2 hrs into watching the Matrix BAM the light bleeding returns with a vengance.

Does anyone know anything about this problem? Can it be fixed? will it eventually dissapear? I had the TV for 2 days now and I can only say its getting worst.

to complicate things I had a call from the sales person who sold me the TV saying that he plugged the TV in the store and cant see anything wrong with it?

I tried to relocate the TV to diffrent rooms with no luck , i even bought new gold plated cables (which set me back a few $$) without any luck.

Can anyone sugest what to do ??

Cheers

Mike

8. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This problem effects alot of LCD tellies and i have actually returned two small lcd's over this. But i have just bought one of the new samsungs 26inch version and i have been keeping an eye out for it as it drives me nuts and would have taken it back within the 7 days if it did it....I have writen about how good this telly is several times before but everyday i like it more, so i think i will keep this one :)

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Modern LCD's don't suffer from screen burn. Screen savers are a waste of time.

10. Ice

Ice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mikyb,

I've noticed that quite a few LCD screens show signs of lightbleed, including computer screens.

My own LG RZ-15LA31 (15" screen) is actually under repair as we speak for this specific reason. I bought my LCD with a credit card which offers extended warranty, and as I have had enough of the light bleed, I decided to send the unit to the insurers. This has been a nightmare as the repair depot has had the unit for 7 weeks now.

I have been told that replacement parts have been fitted, and as soon as I get my LCD back, it will be interesting to see whether the light bleed is reduced.

I suspect that most computer LCD screens have the same problem, but of course, this is not as visible simply because you generally have a brighter background, and rarely black. As early LCD TVs were derived from computer monitors, this may explain the issue. I guess that LCDs built specifically for TV purposes (with the right resolutions for broadcast material) may not have this problem. Certainly, my own general observations of newer LCD TVs appear to indicate this may well be the case.

Cheers,

11. Cyclone

Cyclone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I bought an Acer AL2671W last week, and have noticed the light bleeding at the bottom centre of the screen. It's very obvious on dark screens or when watching a widescreen movie with borders at top and bottom.

I'm sure it was getting worse so rang Acer while it's still new. They picked it up same day and said it would be repaired, or if that can't be done in 48 hours replaced.....i'll wait and see what happens. My guess is they will send it back saying it's not a fault :thumbsdow

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    seen the Philips tv ads for AMBILIGHT
    What fault do you think that masks?

13. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, it totally blocks the whole problem with lcd's: the black level, and on top of that it reduces the eyestrain from the very bright lcd light, so it's a great invention, nothing wrong with it right?

14. mikyb

mikyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys for the Help.

I had the Grundig now for a week and I tell you that the picture is only getting worse.

I called the shop where i got it but the salesman that delt with me is away and noone can help me.

I think that i will just return it and pic another brand.

Can anyone sugest any good brands I should consider which have no Light Bleed problems ? Im looking for a 26" screen , around the price of AU$2500

Thanks again