• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Light bleed/couding

audievo

Established Member
Bought a samsung ue49ks9000 has some light bleed/clouding mostly only visible when watching at night with lights off, clouding mainly on movies with black border and is mostly on the bottom border. Sent the tv back and had a replacement. It is pretty much the same. There is no more stock of this tv from retailer and have been offered refund. I love the TV and am wondering if I should just keep it as this light bleed/clouding seems to be very common on new TVs. Am I being to picky expecting a tv with no bleed at all, will most TVs suffer the same? I bought the tv on John Lewis clearance for only £799 and can't see anything anywhere close to this quality for that price. Thoughts/advice welcomed

Attachments

• IMG_2981.JPG
    IMG_2981.JPG
    504.1 KB · Views: 915
  • IMG_2982.JPG
    IMG_2982.JPG
    784.6 KB · Views: 819
  • IMG_2985.JPG
    IMG_2985.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 841
Last edited:

davidcharles

Prominent Member
Is smart led on?... If it is I would try another .. Should not be bleed as bad as that with smart led on.. Unfortunately they are bottom lit so any kind of slight bleed will show up. I tried 3 js8500 tv's until I got one with no edge bleed.

audievo

Established Member
Yeah smart led on high. Also used recommended settings on here for night viewing. Still the same. In daylight it doesn't show at all, in half light it shows only slightly but in the dark (with borders on a movie) it shows up as you can see in the pics. I love the tv apart from that and at the price I paid (£799) I can't see anything even close to it. I don't think John Lewis have any more stock so it's a refund or keep it as is. I have a couple of days to decide as it's booked to be collected next Thursday.

davidcharles

Prominent Member
It will bug you, it should not be as bad as that... It's an issue that seems to plague curved screens more than flat ones... Can they get you a ks8000??

Rich2251

Established Member
Yeah smart led on high. Also used recommended settings on here for night viewing. Still the same. In daylight it doesn't show at all, in half light it shows only slightly but in the dark (with borders on a movie) it shows up as you can see in the pics. I love the tv apart from that and at the price I paid (£799) I can't see anything even close to it. I don't think John Lewis have any more stock so it's a refund or keep it as is. I have a couple of days to decide as it's booked to be collected next Thursday.

I don't think it's great but I'd think about keeping due to the price, I guess the question is can you live with it for the cheap price?

At full price I'd say send it back but maybe there could be some other avenues.

As you say you won't get anything near that price that's as good, probably need to pay a good few hundred more for something close.

You could chat with JL and see if they will knock anymore off due to the imperfection, might be worth it for them to get rid of it, even try Samsung on the off chance they would replace the panel on warranty.

audievo

Established Member
I got it at that price because I bought the 65inch display model they had in store for £1100 the week before. (Still with 5 year guarantee)
Don't think I'll get any more money off as they'll prob just give it back to Samsung for credit. When they offered refund it kind of dawned on me I can't replace it with anything decent for that money.
I can live with it as it's only noticeable on letterbox movies with all the lights out. (Even though that's my preferred way of watching)
Also it's not the main house tv, it's my escape room tv.
Maybe someone can recommend best settings to minimise it.

Rich2251

Established Member
I got it at that price because I bought the 65inch display model they had in store for £1100 the week before. (Still with 5 year guarantee)
Don't think I'll get any more money off as they'll prob just give it back to Samsung for credit. When they offered refund it kind of dawned on me I can't replace it with anything decent for that money.
I can live with it as it's only noticeable on letterbox movies with all the lights out. (Even though that's my preferred way of watching)
Also it's not the main house tv, it's my escape room tv.
Maybe someone can recommend best settings to minimise it.

What are your current settings for the backlight?

Your right btw in its a great tv and you got a decent price, it's really tough this year as the price of tv's especially the top end models has really risen, not as good value for money and from what iv seen the QC is just as bad.

audievo

Established Member
I set it up using the recommended night time settings on here (YouTube video) backlight set to 4.
I love the TVs in normal light and full screen.

audievo

Established Member
Just a thought as I'm contemplating what to do with my "high end" tv.
It seems there are a lot of people paying good money for substandard products and because the faults are so widespread we are accepting them as the norm. I know I shouldn't even consider keeping this tv as it has faults....... but I am.
I am considering keeping it because it could possibly be better the devil you know.
Why is it that I am considering keeping and probably will keep this TV for no other reason than I expect an alternative to be no better and more than likely worse.
Really if this technology isn't ready then maybe they shouldn't be selling it until it is.

Rich2251

Established Member
Just a thought as I'm contemplating what to do with my "high end" tv.
It seems there are a lot of people paying good money for substandard products and because the faults are so widespread we are accepting them as the norm. I know I shouldn't even consider keeping this tv as it has faults....... but I am.
I am considering keeping it because it could possibly be better the devil you know.
Why is it that I am considering keeping and probably will keep this TV for no other reason than I expect an alternative to be no better and more than likely worse.
Really if this technology isn't ready then maybe they shouldn't be selling it until it is.

It's the really bad quality control of all manufacturers, some good panels about and some bad but it's not just a Samsung issue it's industry wide. We as consumers have to live with it because there's nothing we can do about it.
I did email Samsung CEO office and told them about the bad QC and the issues people were having and they said that they would take it all on board when units were sent back but somehow I don't believe them.
I know there have been issues with OLED panels as well as LCD on mass manufactured products we get flaws because no one takes the care and attention, this shouldn't happen when we are spending upwards and over a grand on technology.
On the backlight you shouldn't be getting much bleed at 4. If you keep the tv I'd just try Samsung, you never know they might swap the panel, worth a shot.
Your right though you could get a tv with worse bleed if you enter the lottery again, or no bleed, its like a big gamble.

audievo

Established Member
Your right though you could get a tv with worse bleed if you enter the lottery again, or no bleed, its like a big gamble

Would we put up with a new car with such variations in quality?
........you may get 45mpg....... or if you get a duff one it may be 20mpg....
Or our favourite tipple..... 6 pints will get you drunk..... or 14 if it's a bad batch....
Condoms.... buy a pack of ten.... at least six will work !!!!!

It's so wrong but it seems no manufacturer is any better than others and we have to just put up with it.

Rich2251

Established Member
Would we put up with a new car with such variations in quality?
........you may get 45mpg....... or if you get a duff one it may be 20mpg....
Or our favourite tipple..... 6 pints will get you drunk..... or 14 if it's a bad batch....
Condoms.... buy a pack of ten.... at least six will work !!!!!

It's so wrong but it seems no manufacturer is any better than others and we have to just put up with it.

We do and that's the problem, its cheaper to have no QC and have some returned i guess, most people wouldn't care, the problem is on a cheaper set that's fine but the people buying these sets want the best that's why we pay so much money. We are going to pick up the flaws as we have spent so much money. We like tech and ironically we are the people that spend so much money with the companies and the ones they are at the same time alienating.
Like you say it's not just Samsung it's everyone. All the manufacturers need a wake up call, this is now mature tech even OLEDs are getting that way yet there is no perfect screen or set.

audievo

Established Member
We do and that's the problem, its cheaper to have no QC and have some returned i guess, most people wouldn't care, the problem is on a cheaper set that's fine but the people buying these sets want the best that's why we pay so much money. We are going to pick up the flaws as we have spent so much money. We like tech and ironically we are the people that spend so much money with the companies and the ones they are at the same time alienating.
Like you say it's not just Samsung it's everyone. All the manufacturers need a wake up call, this is now mature tech even OLEDs are getting that way yet there is no perfect screen or set.

yep, so maybe the solution is to keep complaining, keep sending them back, keep getting engineers out to replace parts.
When the returns/repairs/exchange costs get higher than the savings they make on poor/no QC then maybe something will have to be done.
I cant see the point of marketing cutting edge technology that is so flawed it only ends up giving the product and company a bad name.
Years ago premium brands were just that, you paid extra but you got extra.
Now you may be paying for better technology but that doesn't seem to mean that its high quality technology.
Too many people saying that this bleed/clouding issue is the price you pay for these TV's and you should accept it.
Well why should we, if it doesn't work then don't sell it, go back to the drawing board and come back when it works.

pirati81

Established Member
What are your backlight settings? These tvs can produce a lot of light even with a backlight of 4. I keep mine on 4 for nighttime viewing, if you check rtings they even reccomend a backlight of 3. Its true is kind of a lottery replacing your tv, so its up to you if you want to change it, you have to take all the risks. Samsung however in their manual say that some amount of bleed with edge led tv s is normal. I was lucky enough to get a perfect one (my model is the 55 inch) hower if I watch the tv from the left side not in front there is some really faint bleed in the exact place as it is for you. If I watch from the front however there is zero bleed even with HDR. My model is the 55 inch model and I am reading a lot of people complaining for lightbleed for the smaller 49 inch, maybe is related to the panel manufacturer. However there is nothing perfect with these tv's. One issue is the lightbleed another might be the Dirty Scren Effect, another Image Retention and so on.

I am posting some pictures for you to see what it looks on mine. I always keep a small lamp also behind the tv so the blacks look really black.
IMG_1387.JPG
IMG_1320.JPG
IMG_1327.JPG
this is hdr

audievo

Established Member
I have mine set at 4 for night viewing, I used the recommended settings from this site.
As for the Samsung manaual saying some light bleeding is normal, well I'm sorry but I'm not having that.
If it is normal how is it not on every panel?
Just because they have a big problem.
I didn't get the manual before I got the tv, I used this from their product information to describe the black quality
"Ultra-Black Moth-Eye Technology
Embrace blacker blacks, whiter whites and an all-round contrast bonanza with Samsung’s new Ultra-Black tech. The KS9000 absorbs natural light in the same way that a moth does to see better at night, so your set won’t suffer from frustrating glare. This way, you won’t need to close your curtains to keep colours sharp. Furthermore, this TV’s Peak Illuminator Pro doubles the depth of blacks of standard 4K, giving your home-viewing premium polish."
Now nowhere in there does it tell me the blacks will have white patches or blue/grey edges.
This is sold as a "premium" uhd tv so it should be premium quality.
Don't forget although they are now selling below £1k they were origionally almost double that for the 49" and getting up towards treble that for the 65".
Now if you had paid £2700 or so last year for the 65" you would still, according to the manual, have to put up with light bleed?
That's not really on is it?

audievo

Established Member
What are your backlight settings? These tvs can produce a lot of light even with a backlight of 4. I keep mine on 4 for nighttime viewing, if you check rtings they even reccomend a backlight of 3. Its true is kind of a lottery replacing your tv, so its up to you if you want to change it, you have to take all the risks. Samsung however in their manual say that some amount of bleed with edge led tv s is normal. I was lucky enough to get a perfect one (my model is the 55 inch) hower if I watch the tv from the left side not in front there is some really faint bleed in the exact place as it is for you. If I watch from the front however there is zero bleed even with HDR. My model is the 55 inch model and I am reading a lot of people complaining for lightbleed for the smaller 49 inch, maybe is related to the panel manufacturer. However there is nothing perfect with these tv's. One issue is the lightbleed another might be the Dirty Scren Effect, another Image Retention and so on.

I am posting some pictures for you to see what it looks on mine. I always keep a small lamp also behind the tv so the blacks look really black.
View attachment 886847View attachment 886848View attachment 886850 this is hdr
Btw, yours looks better than my 49" one

pirati81

Established Member
I have mine set at 4 for night viewing, I used the recommended settings from this site.
As for the Samsung manaual saying some light bleeding is normal, well I'm sorry but I'm not having that.
If it is normal how is it not on every panel?
Just because they have a big problem.
I didn't get the manual before I got the tv, I used this from their product information to describe the black quality
"Ultra-Black Moth-Eye Technology
Embrace blacker blacks, whiter whites and an all-round contrast bonanza with Samsung’s new Ultra-Black tech. The KS9000 absorbs natural light in the same way that a moth does to see better at night, so your set won’t suffer from frustrating glare. This way, you won’t need to close your curtains to keep colours sharp. Furthermore, this TV’s Peak Illuminator Pro doubles the depth of blacks of standard 4K, giving your home-viewing premium polish."
Now nowhere in there does it tell me the blacks will have white patches or blue/grey edges.
This is sold as a "premium" uhd tv so it should be premium quality.
Don't forget although they are now selling below £1k they were origionally almost double that for the 49" and getting up towards treble that for the 65".
Now if you had paid £2700 or so last year for the 65" you would still, according to the manual, have to put up with light bleed?
That's not really on is it?

I totally agree with you, the manual statement is just for a "fair" amount of light bleed. You can keep exchanging tv's until you find the right one. Or ask for your money back and see if you can find a better deal. There is one small problem .The price right now is a stock out price. They sharply reduce the price to get the tvs out of stock. And most likely the ones remaining are the store demos ( I dont reccomend to buy a demo tv for any reason). That is why they will change the panel and not give you a new one if you claim the issue. But you are totally right the light bleed on the left of your tv seems excessive.

audievo

Established Member
I totally agree with you, the manual statement is just for a "fair" amount of light bleed. You can keep exchanging tv's until you find the right one. Or ask for your money back and see if you can find a better deal. There is one small problem .The price right now is a stock out price. They sharply reduce the price to get the tvs out of stock. And most likely the ones remaining are the store demos ( I dont reccomend to buy a demo tv for any reason). That is why they will change the panel and not give you a new one if you claim the issue. But you are totally right the light bleed on the left of your tv seems excessive.

The manual statement is given after you have purchased.
The product description (information given before purchase) says
"Embrace blacker blacks" with their moth eye technology.
Your right I cant change because there is no stock left.
I have engineer coming out and hopefully they will fit a good panel as I cant see them wanting to do it twice.
As for the price reduction, I buy last years models for exactly that reason, I am happy to be a step off the pace with the latest models and for making that sacrifice I know I can get last years high end tv at this years mid range price. I do expect top quality.
Lastly I also bought the exact same TV in the 65" from JL ex display, it had been on the shop floor for 10 weeks, comes with 5 year warranty and has no light bleed at all.
So my ex demo is better than the other 2 out of the sealed box TV's

pirati81

Established Member
The manual statement is given after you have purchased.
The product description (information given before purchase) says
"Embrace blacker blacks" with their moth eye technology.
Your right I cant change because there is no stock left.
I have engineer coming out and hopefully they will fit a good panel as I cant see them wanting to do it twice.
As for the price reduction, I buy last years models for exactly that reason, I am happy to be a step off the pace with the latest models and for making that sacrifice I know I can get last years high end tv at this years mid range price. I do expect top quality.
Lastly I also bought the exact same TV in the 65" from JL ex display, it had been on the shop floor for 10 weeks, comes with 5 year warranty and has no light bleed at all.
So my ex demo is better than the other 2 out of the sealed box TV's

Could be better for backlight bleedig buy check also for image retention. All Samsung SUHD Tvs I have checked at the store suffered image retention the SUHD Logo some, the Shop Logo some others. You have to check in a dark grey to notice. Keep in mind that shop demos they stay on 12 hours a day with the same video over and over

audievo

Established Member
Could be better for backlight bleedig buy check also for image retention. All Samsung SUHD Tvs I have checked at the store suffered image retention the SUHD Logo some, the Shop Logo some others. You have to check in a dark grey to notice. Keep in mind that shop demos they stay on 12 hours a day with the same video over and over

The demo tv has a 5 year JL warranty and 10 year Samsung screen burn warranty, same as a boxed tv. JL have on there computer a record of when TV was put on display. This one was 10 weeks, also the demo was £1099 for the Samsung UE65KS9000. Not seen another within £500 of that.

Rich2251

Established Member
The demo tv has a 5 year JL warranty and 10 year Samsung screen burn warranty, same as a boxed tv. JL have on there computer a record of when TV was put on display. This one was 10 weeks, also the demo was £1099 for the Samsung UE65KS9000. Not seen another within £500 of that.

I think with the screen burn guarantee your covered plus iv not seen many LCD tv's with burn in of any kind, only faulty ones. OLED the jury is still out but not LCD.

audievo

Established Member
I think with the screen burn guarantee your covered plus iv not seen many LCD tv's with burn in of any kind, only faulty ones. OLED the jury is still out but not LCD.

yeah, seems a pointless warranty, last time I saw screen burn was on the tsb crt monitor in the bank about a million years ago.
I love oled but swerved it because of uncertainty about the possible problems.
So I buy a suhd and still get problems!

Rich2251

Established Member
yeah, seems a pointless warranty, last time I saw screen burn was on the tsb crt monitor in the bank about a million years ago.

Don't think there is a way not to have problems with any set at the moment, all manufacturers seem to be a disgrace.

audievo

Established Member
Don't think there is a way not to have problems with any set at the moment, all manufacturers seem to be a disgrace.

Having just moved into the 4k market after upgrading my trusty 6 year old 52" Samsung (given away a month ago in perfect working order) I'm stunned at what people are being palmed off with and accepting as "that's how it is" with TVs costing hundreds or thousands of pounds.
Clearly they have done a great job of brainwashing the masses into believing that there is nothing wrong with white blotchy patches or great beams of light across top and bottom edges.
If it's the price you pay for ultra thin screens then don't bother, I'll be happy if my screen is 5mm thicker with a perfect picture.

pirati81

Established Member

Its not a pointless warranty Samsung Tv's with Quantum Dot Technology might suffer burn in too. I will post pictures below of my first Samsung Ks 7000 which I have returned and got money back. You can notice very clearly that at tue bottom right there is a QR code which remained there from the shops commercial. I have also checked other demo tv's from Samsung and they all suffered the same issue. In order to check download the 5% Grey Uniformity test picture from rtings, run it on the tv and increase the backlight.
IMG_1130.JPG
IMG_1129.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom