Light and shade

Tobers

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The sun was out today so I set off to see if I could capture a not-so-obvious picture created by the light and shade. Having read my Magnum Magnum book from cover to cover at least twice, the way that their photographers use light is really interesting.

There's a big railway bridge over the river in Guildford and the sun was shining on it nicely from a low angle, creating a shadow of the wooden padestrian bridge alongside. I waited a while for some people to walk past and this is the pick of the crop. It looked quite nice in colour but I put it into monochrome as the removal of colour emphasises the shadows.

238776559-L.jpg

Just looking for light and shade is a very interesting thing to do. Rather than looking for specific objects/things, I was looking for patches of light instead and working out how a picture might come out of it. Quite "enlightening" :D.

Tobers

Now that I like, very much!

lovely shot tobers !

have you got the full details on the magnum book please mate ?

Wow - that is right up my street.....! :smashin: Very inspirational.

I absolutely LOVE the way you don't even see the bridge, but you immediately know what it is. And then the people - they could be having a secret liason. It tells a story and my mind fills the gaps. And I think it's also very timeless.

This is one you should put forward to the club..... 10/10. I fail to see how this could be improved ?

Mark.

edit - on second view, I think the black patch above and to the right of the right hand figure could be cloned out to make it less distracting but it's a minor point.

lovely shot tobers !

have you got the full details on the magnum book please mate ?

Firstly, check out the Magnum website (www.magnumphotos.com) which has some superb content, especially the photographer portfolios.

The book is new but had a limited print run. It contains photographs from every Magnum photographer, selected by other Magnum photographers with a bio and writeup. Superb shots throughout.

Publisher is Thames & Hudson. ISBN 978-0-500-54342-9. Cost me £95 from one of the big bookshops in London.

Good luck finding it. Even more luck carrying it home - it weighs a ton!

Wow - that is right up my street.....! :smashin: Very inspirational.

edit - on second view, I think the black patch above and to the right of the right hand figure could be cloned out to make it less distracting but it's a minor point.

Thanks Mark! The patch is a plant of some sort growing out of the brickwork. Looks better large size but I know what you mean. Ta for the suggestion - will try it and see...

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Nice work Tobers. :smashin:

I understand what your talking about....I love chasing shadows and light.

I love this......it has a mysterious quality to me (who are they? where are they going?).

Reminds me a bit of the film "The Third Man" for some reason.

I really like this shot, I think it would look good on canvas in a fancy apartment..

I've looked everywhere for the Magnum Magnum book, as I think it sounds like a worthwhile book to get, worth its weight in gold for inspiration and ideas... some places appear to have been selling at £65 - but none in stock and I think its a limited run, so none in production.

Hmm..

Great shot though, well done.

Regards,
R

Thanks all.

Now without black splodgy bits mpritch pointed out that are in fact vegetation growing out of cracks in the brickwork. A bit of fiddling with the clone stamp tool in Photoshop sorted it whilst being careful to maintain the brick pattern. Thanks Mark - looks much better without them.

239171032-L.jpg

Tobers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom