Lifestyle System

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by asimm, May 21, 2002.

1. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    My 1300 quid HC system has been ejected from the lounge, yet to find a home for it in the new house (I will somehow). Have to make do in the lounge with a "lifestyle" system. I have assumed that these systems do not compare to seperates however there is nothing I can do, it is either this or nothing in the lounge (and I want to take full advantage of the Sky + DD output and recording). Systems I am thinking of:

Bose
    Sony 500 or 800

Grateful for any advice from anyone with experience of the above or any other "lifestyle system.

PS - speakers have to be very small!

Ta

2. avguysworld

avguysworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bose Accustimas 8
    Expensive but should do trick

Or cheaper option Bose 101

Ohm Ks1 are wicked small and very powerful about £80 each

3. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it's mainly the speakers that are you problem why not consider the Mission FS2-AV, Kef KHT 2005 or b&w vm1 sets?

Although if you have to replace the dvd player, amp and speakers you would probably be better off with something like the Sony 800.

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Can't comment on the Bose system but the DAV800 is superb. Sound quality is excellent, speakers are fairly small and come with stands, plus you have SACD if you ever need it! :cool: Think the 500 is very similar with the exception of different sattelite speakers and no stands.... would avoid the 400!

Kelvin

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Just one more thing.... have you considered the Pioneer NSDV-88?? That doesn't sound bad and is £200+ cheaper than the DAV800?!

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    JVC TH-V70R best of the lifestyle systems.
    DPL2 and powerful sub, also neat styling.
    Even the cheaper JVC systems have RGB Scart and 54Mhz video DAC, give them a look.

7. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks for all the advice. Am moving towards a non-Bose set up -the cheapest Bose is 1250, not really prepared to pay that much for what will effectively be my second system (the bank breaking stuff will be in my half of the bedroom that I managed to negotiale a la UN with the other half). Will probably opt for a demo at Musical Images or Sevenoaks and ask if they have available any of the systems mentioned in the above posts (Richer Sonds will demo the Sony 500 however they may not have any other system to compare it against).

Should tie this up quite soon as every Premier Widescreen film I watch through Sky Plus annoys me as I know I am missing out on DD.