1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifestyle AV Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Rochdale, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm considering getting a set of surround speakers but space will be a major issue so I'm looking at a "lifestyle" surround setup.

The speakers I have looked at are the Kef KHT 2005 (egg) speakers and the Mission FS2-AV.

Does anyone have any opinions on these speakers or suggestions for any others?

2. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I am in the same boat as you (and I am also in the Leeds area!)

I went to Sevenoaks for a demo of the FS2 and they did a very bad job (the shop, not the speakers). You need to get a proper demo somewhere. I started a thread about where to get one a while ago called something like "Northern Hi Fi shops". There were some suggestions made that I haven't followed up yet.

I haven't heard the KEF eggs, but I am going off them on cost vs. performance grounds. It seems that you have to pay the RRP of £800 which seems like a lot to me for a satellite system (and therefore somewhat of a compromise on sound quality). I would pay that for genuinely good speakers, but I don't believe that I would get that from the KEFs. Having said that (and before everyone starts having a go) I haven't actually listened to them yet.

People say that both the eggs and the FS2's can sound good. You really have to listen to them yourself.

There are some other small sized speakers - is that all that you mean by lifestyle? or are you meaning that they need to be "individual" in some way?

Keep us posted with your thoughts

Andy

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    How about the new B&W LM series. No-one seems to have reported on them yet so a demo and report back would be useful

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There weather proof the lm's, you could listen to them in the bath:)

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Do they come with a sub...

Cheers,
    Liam

6. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used the word lifestyle as it seems to be applied to any unobtrusive home cinema equipment these days :)

I need small, the place I am going to live won't have enough space for meaty speakers.

I think I will go for the Kefs if I can find a decent priced pair up north, I know somewhere down south that will do a set for £620 but they have been restricted from selling them over the phone. You have to actually go to the shop.....

Bit of a pain.

Just found some pics of the LM series... they look a bit nasty. Anyone know what the sound quality is like?

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't but it in the bath water though, that would be be a shocking thing to do :)

8. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could add the infinity modulus series to a demo list,don't know how they perform but very "lifestyleish"

johnski

9. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quick Egg question. I know that the Mission FS2-AV speakers come with everything in the box, all cables etc etc. Do the KEF speakers come with everything I would need to set them up or do I need to get additional bits?

10. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    not sure about the Kefs for bundled cables, but the FS2-avs are way cheaper at £360.

11. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just found out Superfi have a shop in Leeds, and seeing as how KEF have made their resellers only sell the KHT 2005 to customers face to face I'll probably have to buy there anyway.

I'll pop in and see what information they have on the Eggs. I always liked the idea of the Mission speakers because I'm a gadget geek :) But I think I like the KEF speakers better.

Superfi have the RRP price up with a slight reduction because of a sale, another place I asked have them at £620 a set inc VAT but they are way down south and can only sell face to face :(

12. phil r brown

phil r brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went through all the thinking as you and did buy the Kef Eggs and Sub... very pleased with them and I would agree with previous recommendations here they seem to be getting better with use ( ie run in ).

My best explanation is that they are very 'defined' in their sound quality ( ie very pure tonal quality I think )... but would also say they are quite 'bright'.... ie up towards the treble end of the spectrum... although tweaking the bass and treble on the amp makes them better.

There are no bundled cables with them.... you will need a decent phono to phono cable to connect the sub to amp and of course yards of decent speaker cable ( I spent an extra £100 ) getting the cables sorted.... but I think this is the norm whatever you buy.

Final. point... I read somewhere a review saying the Kefs were great for a small to med sized room... but probably not up to the job for a BIG room... its all subjective, but I think I have quite a big room ( 30' x 15' ) and these Kefs can most definately fill the room ( and shake the floorbaords ! ).

Still very happy... and they look quite cute also.

Rgds Phil

13. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They sound bright because you are missing the low midrange, 120 to 80 hz, if you don´t have a receiver with variable crossover.

14. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info Phil, I'll budget for some decent cables as well then.

15. phil r brown

phil r brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I forgot to mention... whilst these are physically quite small speakers, they do still stand out in the room ( I now have 5 aluminium "alien eyeballs, dotted around the room ). and you cant help but see them !

Great and trendy in a modern room, but if you are into period, antique, less modern decor... they will stand out like a sore thumb !!

Phil

16. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm moving into a flat in Leeds city centre so they should be perfect. I think they will fit in perfectly. The only thing I have to worry about is cabling :)

17. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Went to Superfi in Leeds today to actually see the eggs for real, only seen them on the web up to now. They're bigger than I thought they would be but they are gorgeous.

Definately going to go for them now I reckon, although I'm not paying the RRP for them like KEF seem to want people to do.

18. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I bought the KEF eggs from Superfi, Leeds on Thursday.
    I got a 2802 as well and manged to get 160 off the total, but I think that was really off the amp. You'll be lucky to get the 2005 set for less than 800. There is a place in Suffolk (I think?) that is doing them for 620, but you havve to go there. Everyone I have spoken to in shops has said that KEF are very unhappy with anyone charging under RRP and that they have threatened to take accounts away if people do it. Doesn't seem fair to me - but then nothing is, is it.

I have just spent 2 hours connecting my new amp up and my wife has gone to bed, so no-one to help me lift the TV back into place - so I can't even test it all out. Once again - some things just ain't fair.

19. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    KEF insist that it has to be a face to face sale, probably to keep the price high by not allowing stack em high sell em cheap online retailers to sell at a discount. I think that is out of order myself, the margin the dealer makes should be up to the dealer not the manufacturer.

There is somewhere that does them for £620 with a special delivery service that costs £40, I assume thats to get around the face to face thing. I might just get a mate to visit the shop and then post the speakers up to me :)

20. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    hello - would you let us know how they sound & any wee things to take note of regarding set up, tweaking etc...hope you enjoy

cheers

Berth

21. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah I'd like to hear what you think about the 2802+egg combo as well if you have time :)

22. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bump, as I can see you're logged on andy :D

23. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hello there - this link is courtesy of Pip UK over on the LCD projector forum
    http://www.tarantulas-uk.com/screenshots.html
    this will give you a wee peek at what the eggs look like in use...

How are they running in for you AndyK - pleased? not sure?

Any info - welcome

cheers Berth;)

24. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    KEF can be a royal pain in the Butt when they want to be. As a company they need to listen more to customers. A good start would be for them to answer KEF questions here but despite my best efforts, this did 'continue'.

25. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Well - I have finally got round to reporting back on my "egg experience"

The first point is a reiteration of an earlier post in this thread - although they are small and sexy speakers, they do stand out in the room. My wife was a little unimpressed, and I must confess that I do notice them a bit more than would be ideal.

I bought a Denon 2802 at the same time and have set the crossover frequency at 100Hz for the moment. I haven't experimented with that yet as it sounds OK on the THX optimode tests for crossover point.

As for the sound generally, I am happy with films and haven't got an opinion yet on music as I haven't got round to a proper listen yet. Possibly the sound reproduction is a bit clinical, but I haven't got very well trained ears so I don't know. My last amp and speakers were fairly average (particularly the sub) so although I have noticed an improvement, it is not at all suprising as I was starting from such a low point. I have also changed my amp,speakers and digital decoder (I used to use the one in my DVD) all at once, thus invalidating the fair test of the speakers.

All in all though, I am happy with my choice (but then again it is a rare person that admits they have spent over a grand and made a dreadful mistake). No, but really - I am happy with it.

26. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having seen the Eggs, and having now seen the layout of the flat I'll be moving into, I'm wondering if my original choice of the Mission FS2 AV speakers would be more suitable.

I'll have odd placement for the back speakers and the FS2 sub would fit behind the TV, I think the Eggs might stick out a little too much :(

What do you lot think?

[​IMG]

27. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    my problem with the fs2 set was principally that they just look a bit plasticky(particularly the centre, which you will inevitably be looking at a fair bit). I never had a proper sound test demo. I think it is especially important that you get one before buying these even more than "normal" speakers.

You have to ask yourself why the price has come down quite so dramatically since they came out, without Mission making an "FS3" or similar.

28. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you seen b&w vm1 as i tested the keff eggs and the vm1 i went for the vm1 as they sound great ive got seven and also got a relQ150E they are being driven by a denon 3802 why not give them look:D

29. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Talking about lifestyle systems

Have you not considered the Bose AM15 then. About 900 pounds

Its different from others as the sub-woofer is different - vibrates the air

You have 2 speakers in one - so you can point them in different directions - stops speaker localisation

Bose goes for life like reproduction - forget all the technical frequency stuff

Well worth considering

30. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Erm, I think you will find that all speakers vibrate the air, as this is how sound is transmitted.