1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifespan of speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ziglar, Sep 20, 2005.

1. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've had a pair of Linn Nexus for just over 20 years now and they have had very little use over this period. In fact, over the last 3 years they have had < 100 hrs use and over the 20 yr period < 1000 hrs use. How long do speakers stay close to their optimum audio quality? Do they retain their quality better with little use or lots of use? How can you best extend their lifespan?

Thanks

Stuart

2. daz1976

daz1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi ziglar

Speakers seem to be one of those things that have an indefinite lifespan that depends on many factors like enviroment, material used in drive units, how they've been used etc. I must admit that 20 years is a good life for a set of speakers although I have no recollection of your Linn's, being nine years old when you got them. The main culprits that can cause probs are things like the material in the drive units like the rubber perishing or the paper disintergrating depending on what is used and it's quality and coating. I remember my father had a pair of Leak sandwich speakers that were 20 years old and they were still comparable to many modern speakers. Bottom line is if they still sound great then enjoy them.

Daz