1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifespan of CRT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nadeem1970, Jan 8, 2005.

1. nadeem1970

nadeem1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a rear projector crt tv"Toshiba" Had it 3 years and today it died. I was wondering what is the life span of CRT tv's.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    tubes are rated at approx 9,000 - 10,000 hours average on front projection CRT. That isn't the only component though, there are lots of other circuits and components that could fail before the tubes die.

Regards

3. nadeem1970

nadeem1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks chris, i must have done atleast 10000 hours since the purchase, i will look at a plasma now..............

4. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure? That's about 10 hours a day 7 days a week - pretty intesive usage? If you're getting nothing from it, I think it's more likely that another circuit has gone. Especially if you were getting an ok picture on it up till now.

5. nadeem1970

nadeem1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10 hours a day seems right, video gaming by the kids, lots of movies in the evening, sometimes its been left on all night. I am getting a picture, but there is no blue colour, so i conclude the blue lamp must have died. just before it happened i noticed all the edges was very blur and a dark shawdow half way down the screen, only when there was a blue image on screen.

6. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fact Chris is being quite tentative here-Most manufacturers stated that tubes MAY need to be replaced after 10,000hrs,Its oft quoted that they lose brightness after 10,000 and focus after 15,000hrs.
    But when the tubes need to be replaced depends entirely on how they are used-and how much wear-how much that bothers you etc..
    I know one guy with a Marquee with 30,000hrs on original tubes and though his picture brightness has dropped Its still a decent pic.