1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life with CRT part Du

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jeff, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Well I've had the CRT for a few weeks now and I've watched a ton of films, an average of about 2 a day. I'm still playing with the colour gains, but I think its about as good as I can get it short of a Gordon style calibration. I always thought that CRT projectors were more forgiving of bad DVD transfers, maybe they are but crap DVDs still look crap even on a 9" CRT. It really does make you appreciate the good ones.

The projector itself is settling in well, I don't hear so many creeks coming from the ceiling which is a very good thing since I'm sitting directly under the projector. I do have an issue with flare on the VDC green tube which Roland is organising a replacement for. The Red also seems to be not 100% but we shall see on that one. I also have a faint horizontal line going through the middle of the screen, a recalibration now that the projector has settled should take care of it hopefully.

While solving the above will undoubtedly make the projector better, the picture I'm getting before Roland's second visit is pretty fab already with non of the horrible artifacts you get with LCD and DLP projectors. I've tweaked the last remaining hiccups out of my SDI/DScaler setup and now films films are silky smooth from the beginning to the end. Star Trek Insurrection pans are better than what I remember the Rock doing at last years Event which was already very good. Another big advantage of DScaler vs any of the software players is that video based material looks so much better, as a result I've started to look at some of the extras that come on DVD. The only issue I do have is that as the room and equipment at the back starts to over heat I get the odd bit of SDI noise, this happens after about 2 hours of viewing, not a big deal if you are just watching the one movie, but again a reminder to me that I need to extract heat out of the room some how.

Last night I watched Bridget Jones Diary and Behind Enemy Lines, both movies looked great with no EE or noticeable compression artifacts. One thing I did notice is now that I've blocked out any remaining ambient light, the room becomes pitch black when a black screen is displayed. This happens between a couple of scenes in Toy Story 2, not sure the the children will make of it. I see a scream test coming up.

I'll try to take a few photos this week and see what comes out. Please bare with me, my photographic skills are nonexistent.

2. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Jeff,

Glad to see that your PJ is settling in.....you say that you are using dscaler...what with a standalone dvd player or a HCPC??
    I use dscaler (i have a large collection of LD's) i even bought a Ken Hotte capture card (which i had to wait 2 years for:)) I experimented with using it with a stand alone dvd player & to be honest i couldn't be arsed to much faffing about so i use it to watch sky & the very occasional LD.
    I used to use powerdvd 4 until i eventually bought TT, i tell you i'm converted, it has a few minor issues but the image quality is superb & i reckon it would look fab on your...erm... erm.... 9 incher:D the interface is slick & my pronto controls everything, well worth the 48 quid i paid.

Ditto.....but bear with it...i piece of equipment you will def need is a tri-pod not an expensive one mine cost a tenner from Jessops.
    Don't know what camera you have but you really need one with manual settings to photograph screenshots.....my sony as good as it is is just an expensive "snappy" being auto everything not a good candidate i need a new camera with the sony's portability but with a canons manual overides :grin (reckon i'm gonna get that past the mrs......NOT) don't be afraid of people taking the wee wee, post em, warts-an-all.
    Cheers
    Tim

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    DScaler 4 with an SDI DVD player is great, all I do is boot up the PC and run DScaler, with the PC now dedicated to DScaler I could just stick it in the startup and I woundn't need to touch the PC at all. The picture quality is superb and I think better than the PowerDVD 4 or any of the Ravisent based players (ATI, TT, Cineplayer 4). The biggest improvement is the colours, they are awesome. Also being a based on a good standalone player my SDI modded Denon 1600 plays every disc you throw at it. Its not a cheap solution at about $500 for the SDI capture card and £1000 for the modded DVD player, but it does represent the current state-of-art in terms of DVD playback technology.

4. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    And of course as well as the fact that it's hard to get hold of a SDI Capture card.

:(

I have no money anyway so I don't know why I'm complaining. :confused:

5. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Right Jeff,
    You have my attention what's this SDI modded player i've ignored posts about it on the AVS forums being too wrapped up in my HCPC,your modded dvd player £1000 for the mod including the player? this SDI card where can i look at the specs where to buy etc etc.
    I want it all & i want it now...yeah baby:D :D :D
    Have you tried TT BTW??
    Tim

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I refused to buy TT on the basis that I've already paid for the ravisent filters twice with 2 other products. I think the newer but buggier Cinepalyer 4 looks better than the ATI 4 player (same filters as TT) anyway. I also preferred to get behind a free front end like Zoom player. Anyway that's that. I bought the SDI Silk player when Dan Schmelzer was selling them to beta testers for $399 with the idea of using a pro universal converter so that I could take all my various analogue sources like Sky + and PS2 and convert them to SDI for feeding digitally to the PC and DScaler. This should have worked a treat as we are talking £1000+ pro converter box. The picture quality just wasn't good enough, it introduced poterization and I was getting a faint diagonal noise. The converter went back and the SDI card stayed dormant for a while. A few months ago I found a German site selling SDI modded Denon 1600 players for 1500 euros, perfect, visual match for my Denon A1SE amp, no Chroma bug and DVD audio to boot. When I ordered it I wasn't that convinced, I thought it would make a good backup player, plus I was dieing to give it a go. Apart from the initial lets compare... I haven't used a software player since. Compared Cineplayer 4 filters the picture looks a tad softer, but on close inspection non of the detail appears to be missing. What is very evident is the improvement in colour. I have yet to read any logical reason for this but its something that most if not all SDI player owners comment on. The other thing is that with software players I was never able to get 100% stutter free video. With Cineplayer 4 it would be perfect for about 10 minutes and then have a minor fit for a few seconds while it resynced itself. With SDI I did initially have some stutter issues but installing the latest Radeon driver fixed 95% of the stutter, the last 5% I found was caused by my network card so disabling it cured the lot. I think that its really cool that you can have a standalone player and connect it digitally to a PC and benefit from the Radeons scaling and gamma adjustment capabilities as well as DScalers advanced deinterlacing and AR functions.

7. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Blimey:eek:
    Well over my head.........:D
    The barco 1209 has colour corrected liquid coupled lenses am i correct? would not the colour improvements be attributable to that alone? bearing in mind what you had before i think an LCD PJ?
    I would like to see this setup selling tickets yet:D or when is the next "Event" due.
    Was it worth the effort & more importantly the expense?
    I've concentrated hard in getting liquid pans on my HCPC & for the most part i have no stutter problems even with the star trek insurrection killer pans......well alright maybe one or two micro stutters :D
    I have recently installed win 2k pro sp2 & again no real problems except to me win 98 looked better....anyway i digress.....I take it the SDI card is the original from that bloke in the US can these things be had readily?
    Sorry for the 100 questions, just got me thinking is all.
    Cheers
    Tim

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I tried to get the colour corrected lenses for the 1209s, but it didn't work out. I Havn't used my old Plus DLP for well over 6 months, prior to getting the 1209s I used a computer CRT screen, I wanted to try and get the 72hz stuff sorted and DLPs only work at 60hz. For some reason Dan won't sell direct to end users anymore so at the moment I think you can only buy SDI cards as an option on preconfigured HTPCs from AVS and some other company. Bummer. I suppose it makes my setup all the more unique, but I would rather have more people using the technology so to share the experience. For event 2, I'm happy to bring it along, but it's up to Gordon what gets shown.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I don't think there is much doubt that Jeff and Kryton will be at Event2...

Gordon

10. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've exchanged a few mails with DAn recently and he says they have resolved a few of the problems with the early cards and are now happy to sell to individuals again in some cases.

Jeff, glad to hear your new projector is working out well, sounds great already, I'm sure you'll like it even more after the colour calibration ...

The thing about colours and SDI is interesting, there "should" be no reason to expect any difference in the colour between a software and a hardware player. Are you getting problems with chroma delay usign SDI? There does seem to be something happening to shift the chroma slightly which should effect the quality of the picture.

John

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I do have a tiny bit of chroma delay with DScaler on my current setup. I'm not sure the cause but a reinstall usually gets rid of it. I believe ATI are schedule to release new Radeon drivers next week or so, I'll probably do a fresh install then and see if it goes away. It's hardly visible at the moment anyway but I have seen it pretty bad in the past. Any idea of the cause?

PS Its not just SDI, I get it with svideo as well.

Jeff

12. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeff

I hadn't really noticed the delay before I got my pj. Since Roland pointed it out it has been pretty annoying. Originally I had thought it was only on cards using the CCIR input, but if you're seeing the same on a falcon or the SDI silk's s-video the problem could be more widespread.

My current thinking is that there may be and issue with the graphics cards assumptions about where the center of the U and V blobs are in relation to the two Y parts and this may be different to what is coming in on the SDI stream.

I need to run some tests as it's odd that this doesn't effect software players.

John

13. casha

casha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is the better capture card for an HTPC - Ken Hotte's modded capture card or the Falcon card. My understanding is that DScaler works with both of them.

Aaron

14. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The only person I know who tried them both thought the Falcon was ever so slightly better. I'm not sure if Ken still does the card mods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.