1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life of Plasma Screens?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MJViney, Jan 3, 2003.

1. MJViney

MJViney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting closer to completing my home cinema set up with a plasma screen and have found this forum very interesting and useful.

But when asking about warranty and insurance on the screens in Comets (just idle interest whilst waiting for the Boss to pick out a dryer) I found that it was in the region of £1500 for 5 years and the sales person said this was because the screens were irrepairable (makes sense) and had a life of only 5 years!

Whats the general view on this?

thanks

Mike

2. StoneGhost

StoneGhost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy from John Lewis for these reasons

1. They Price match
    2. They offer 5 years guarantee on all televisions including plasmas!

Life of the 'average' plasma is around 25,000 - 30,000 hours, so unless you're a total TV addict it should last around 8 to 10 years

I do not work for John Lewis or have any interest in them whatsoever.

I work for Toshiba and I am trying to decide between a Pioneer 422HDE or Panasionc 42"

Regards

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi StoneGhost,

Shurely shome mishtake!:p You work for Toshiba? Won't they give you a nice (20%) discount on a 42XP27? Btw,I'd go for the Pio 433MXE :D

Steve

4. StoneGhost

StoneGhost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Well the old boiler has to use it too so it has to be foolproof. It needs to be a TV first and a home cinema second.

I'm probably going to get it from John Lewis even if they don't match Richer Sounds £4099, it's only about £160 more expensive anyway but a 5 year warranty is thrown in at that price, I also believe the table top stand is included in that price.

Toshiba staff discounts are about 70%, I already have one in each room, I'm looking at the Pioneer for the bog!!:D

Regards

5. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will you be creating your own surround sounds in the bog? ;)

6. MichaelJP

MichaelJP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure about the price?

Richer Sounds have the Panasonic TH42PW5B on the website for £3399.95 which is *much* cheaper than John Lewis.

I too like buying from JL, but surely when it comes to AV stuff the price-matching stuff is a red herring. All the worthwhile cheapest deals are from on-line retailers who hardly ever carry stock so JL will not price-match.

- MichaelJP

7. StoneGhost

StoneGhost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Micheal

The £4099 is for the Pioneer433HDE

I've seen the 433HDE for £4089 (pretty sure that's the lowest price in the UK currently) but I know JL won't pricematch that as it's an online deal, that's why i've asked them to match Richer Sounds who have a local shop.

I'm currently waiting for JL's response on pricematch.

Didn't know Plasma's were sold that far up north, I thought Colour TV's were the latest gadget up there!!!

(Ex Sheffielder myself so I suppose I'm allowed to take the mick) Where are you? I used to live near Wisewood.

Won't bother buying a sub for the bog coz there's enough bass in there already.

Regards

8. MichaelJP

MichaelJP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Colour TV? Luxury! Now we had it tough etc. etc. :)

I'm near Broomhill, only a stone's throw from the Sheffield Richer Sounds branch. They do have a LG plasma on display there, but none of the others so a JL pricematch would be difficult.

- MichaelJP

9. StoneGhost

StoneGhost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I was in that branch only last Saturday (I was ooop north visiting the wrinklies).

I had quite a lengthy chat with the saleschap in JL and explained about Richer Sounds 7 day home delivery service and he basically said that they would match it as long as RS aren't taking the P with delivery times.

I seem to remember someone else on this forum who did exactly the same trick at the John Lewis branch in Watford where I'm trying to buy from.

Who would have ever guessed blowing 4 grand would be this difficult.

Regards