1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life Of Brian

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dirk 2, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After the wonderful R1 version of MPATHG, I was curious as to whether R2 would try and compete with its forthcoming release of "Life Of Brian".

After reading the specs of the disk (http://www.dvddebate.com/r2news.php#Paramount Take The Life Of Brian) I gave up in disgust and went straight out and purchased the R1 Criterion version.

It's appalling that so many British classics are handled so poorly by UK disributors and that they only find justifiable treatment in the US.

2. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You have to expect this, UK distributors are just out to make a fast buck (ie. Predator/Predator 2 Box Set (R2)). Whereas the US go to great lengths to provide what the customer wants.:(

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I think that this is appalling. Firstly, this is an amazingly hilarious film, and not just some made-for-TV junk! Secondly, it's a bloody British movie, for Brian's sake!!! I could partly understand if it was some terrible Hollywood Blockbuster that had died a quick death at the box office, but it isn't.

Paramount (who released "The Godfather Trilogy" boxed set), really are ****ing on the British public, from a very great height! And if they think they will even sell one single copy of the R2 edition of this seminal classic comedy, then they can go shoove their R2 version horizontally, up their backsides!

Jeez, I don't know why R2 companies bother releasing DVD's at all!!! If this is how they think the paying public want their films presented, for the ultimate digital format of the 21st century, then they can sod off, and I'll go back to VHS! At least the VHS version was released in widescreen!

Pooch

4. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    …where can we buy this film in R1 format. (North American DVD have some Python stuff, but not LOB)

5. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I bought mine from www.Amazon.com. They currently have the Criterion edition for $33.49. There is also a version for $19.99. I suspect this is the Anchor bay version, which is poor. The Criterion edition is an excellent disc.

Regards Rob.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Luckly Paramount loses the rights to Life of Brian later next year, I believe Anchor Bay are planning a 2 disc SE with the extras from the Criterion disc and possibly more.

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Was just going to mention this !!!

Over at THEDVDFORUMS there is a huge thread about this. Apparantly the remaining Python team have released a press release telling people NOT to buy this new release and to WAIT for the bumper edition due for release middle of 2002

8. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have the original Anchor bay version as well. Picture is about as bad as it can get, with no extras, not even subtitles.(think there might be a trailer). Hope they make a better job of the new version.

Rob.

9. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked earlier in this thread about where to buy from (thanks to Rob for the Amazon info), however Criterion have a website.

Ahah!

Click here for Criterion website

However you buy the films from DVD Planet

BTW I haven't ordered from them so I can't vouch etc.

10. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I normally get all my R1 discs from http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/
    Discs normally arive within 7 days. I've bought about a dozern discs from them over the last 12 months and i cant fault them.

also they consistantly come out as one of the cheapest sites on the net from my research.