• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Life Expectancy of Your Iphone 4

Mr Nook

Distinguished Member
Hi

I'm not someone who can upgrade my Iphone every time a new model comes out. So to justify getting the Iphone 4 to myself (and SWMBO) I reckon I'll make do with it for a least 2 years - probably Iphone 6 time.

Therefore I've no problem tying in to an 18 month or 2 year contract.

Also, I've always liked the Apple Touch technology, apps etc but the lack of a decent camera has always put me off the Iphone til now.

As it's now got a (hopefully) good camera and HD video recording it seems to have everything I want in a handheld device and I'll hopefully not want to upgrade any time soon.

However I know some people always want the latest but was wondering generally how long people saw themselves sticking with the Iphone 4 and. other than just wanting the latest, what features would tempt people to upgrade from Iphone 4.

The new Nintendo 3DS 3D handheld has possibly shown the way for spec-less 3D on small handheld devices so 3D maybe isn't that far away from smartphones. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other major addition (apart from greatly improved specs) that would tempt me up from Iphone 4 in the near future.

Cheers

RDB :)

sanders83

I'll stick with it until the next iphone comes out, as i always like the new updated gear, but that's just my personal preference.

Unless for some reason i really dislike it..........but can't see that happening :D

Mr Nook

Distinguished Member
I can see the want for the 1 year thing but I'm genuinely struggling to think what extra goodies they'll cram in to make it worthwhile.

I'm sure I'll be eating my words in a year though lol :)

Steven

Senior Moderator
It is well known Apple products have a 2 year lifespan, including a mark 1.5 of a model inbetween

Forget all this glass moulding nonsense. I'm still waiting on Minority Report

norealplan

Distinguished Member
I've had my iPhone 3G for about 2 years now. I could happily have it for another year but really wanted the iPhone 4. Depending on how good an improvement the next iPhone is, I'll probably have my iPhone 4 for 2 years too.

If you've read much about the 3DS then you'll know the 3D effect is suppose to be good but only if at the perfect angle and straight on, if you off centre when looking at it, the effect goes. I can't see Apple embracing the technology until that changes.

crocandy

I've had my iPhone 3G for about 2 years now. I could happily have it for another year but really wanted the iPhone 4. Depending on how good an improvement the next iPhone is, I'll probably have my iPhone 4 for 2 years too.

Me too. I have a 3G 16gb. The only reason i am thinking of getting iphone 4 is that it has broken and is being repaired/replaced. Strangely, I had to dig out my original proof of purchase it showed i paid £160 for it but can now sell it for about the same amount (excluding the 18 x £35 a month i forked out). Just goes to show that no matter how long you keep your phone it will retain its value fairly well. So keeping for 2 years seems no problem at all.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
I got my 2G from an O2 store on literally the last day of them being cleared out (for £169) when they were getting ready for the 3G.

I took it home, Jailbroke it, unlocked it and was a happy bunny. :D

I kept it for about a year-literally, as I had it replaced under warranty on day 365!.

When the 3GS was announced, I decided to take advantage of the slightly cheaper 3Gs that were floating around and picked one up from a fellow AVF-er who was jumping to a 3GS via the Classified forums here.

I sold my mint/unlocked/jailbroken 2G for £170 and picked up the 3G for £220 and so it cost me £50 to change over.

I've still got that 3G as I never felt the need to jump to a 3GS so quickly. It's running 3.1.3, has been unlocked by O2 and jailbroken by Spirit.

I have decided to go for a i4 because it does seem a very different phone to my 3G and so it looks like I've created a pattern of changing every other model!

I'm getting it sim free from Apple and I'm not planning (famous last words) to change it next year for iPhone v 4.5.

Does that help!? :laugh:

MrStinky

I expect it to last two years before I want to upgrade/change it, but also to last at least 4 before it needs replacing, allowing for a new battery at some point, I'm paying for a premium product at a very premium price tag. So I'm expecting premium quality, this extends to durability, even if I'm unlikely to have it forever I'd like to think itd be useful forever.

paulg1979

I've always changed mine every year but its the first time I might actually keep it for 2 years. Reason being its got all the gadgets it should have always had I can't think what else they can actually squeeze into a phone.

I think it will take another couple of years to make a big enough improvement over the iPhone 4 for me to change. I may be proved wrong :)

Mr Nook

Distinguished Member
If you've read much about the 3DS then you'll know the 3D effect is suppose to be good but only if at the perfect angle and straight on, if you off centre when looking at it, the effect goes. I can't see Apple embracing the technology until that changes.

Early days admittedly but these things have a habit of being developed really quickly. If the 3DS continues to wow people I can see a lot of small screen manufacturers going down that route.....

mwjdavies

Minimum 1year, max 2year :)
Depends on how I get on this Thursday, if tied into contract or if find a sim free/PAYG :)

devil1916

Ive had my 3G for 22 months and didnt upgrade last year as i didnt think the 3GS was a big enough jump. Ill upgrade this time due to the HD video and better camera and will prob upgrade every 2 years, 18 month contracts and 6 months on the cheaper simplicity to keep the initial costs down. Although in saying that, it wouldnt be a great hardship to keep the 3G for another year and thats the 1st phone i have ever kept more than 12 months

cmt

Banned
I'd love to say i'd keep it for at least two years or more, but i'm too weak willed and will cave in at the next release in 12 months time.... :D

mikee66

prob just until next year tbh and if they release a white 64Gb sooner.........

:smashin:

CWT1965

Banned
Has to be next year unless the iPhone 5 is not a big enough upgrade in specs to justify the money, highly unlikely though as i have no doubt i will be getting the next iphone next year.

-James-

Never owned an iPhone before so i'll probably keep it for two years and then upgrade to the newest iPhone :thumbsup:

I'm not paying £500-600 for a phone that will only last me a year :thumbsdow

crocandy

I expect it to last two years before I want to upgrade/change it, but also to last at least 4 before it needs replacing, allowing for a new battery at some point, I'm paying for a premium product at a very premium price tag. So I'm expecting premium quality, this extends to durability, even if I'm unlikely to have it forever I'd like to think itd be useful forever.

That's what i thought. My 3G is in really good condition but developed a reboot issue (kept returning error code 9) nothing could be done by apple so my choice was £140 replacement as it was out of warranty. The more i thought about this issue the more angry I became. I paid £159 for my phone and then 18 x £35 for 18 months. You would thing that it would last longer than 18+ months as it is supposedly a 'premium product'.

JUS

For me it's not really the phone or camera bit I'm buying the 4 for. I currently have a 2/3 (?) year old 2nd generation 32gb Touch and cheap b&w Nokia phone. I use my Touch almost every minute of the day when I'm in the house to check emails, avforums using tapatalk, music, vids and apps. (it's replaced the magazines in the toilet :D ) I'm frustrated when I leave the house as it only has wifi so I'm at a loss not being able to email and surf. I've not kept up to date with the touch revisions and new versions and I think for that reason I've continued to be more than content with it.

So although Apple do release a new model every 2 years as long as I don't start looking at the new models and watching all the videos etc I'll stay content and very happy with what I've got.

So I'll be getting a contract free 4 and hanging on to it for at least 2 years if not longer.

Im keeping mine for 2 years straight, im taking out a 2 year contract when i upgrade.
Even if steve announces a new iphone 5 im just gonna pass

Professor Chaos

Never owned an iPhone before so i'll probably keep it for two years and then upgrade to the newest iPhone :thumbsup:
:thumbsdow

People say that, but then a year later comes the next latest, greatest model :D Before long you'll be flogging the old one on fleabay or these forums

Im keeping mine for 2 years straight, im taking out a 2 year contract when i upgrade.
Even if steve announces a new iphone 5 im just gonna pass

:) I believe you too :))

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom