Life expectancy of LCD

Dimas

Standard Member
Everyone says (inc. tech specs) that life expectancy of an LCD TV or Monitor is around 50000 hrs, basically as long as back light lasts. Bearing that in mind i have bought a 42in LG LCD. Then my 6 year old, 17in developed vertical courful lines running through it (it is a Monitor and not VGA or driver problem since I hooked it up to TV and it worked OK).
After googling around I notised that it is quite common for LCDs to develop such lines as a resault of gradual "wear and tear" as they are being used. Which basically means that historically there is another thing besides the lightbulb that shortens LCDs life quite regularly.
When it comes to life expectancy everyone quates 50000 -back lite life, but why no one mentiones "the lines problem" when estimating lifespan???
What is really life expectancy of LCD (both TVs and Monitors) ???

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
To be honest, I think 6 years for a TV/ monitor's life is pretty good. I have a Sony LCD panel in my bedroom, following a years service as the main TV, that is more than 3 years old now and that's still going strong (touch wood :D ).

Personally, with the way the technology is moving on, I'd probably want to upgrade after a couple of years of ownership anyway.

Paul

Dimas

Standard Member
To be honest, I think 6 years for a TV/ monitor's life is pretty good.(touch wood :D ).

Paul
I agree that 6 years is not bad at all, but the official life expectansy which is based on the back light life is like 20 years, and it seems that the mail reason for an LCD to die is something else, causing those lines.
On the other hand, i had my 17in monitor for 6 years, if i buy a new one i dont think it will be any better, and i assume the old one could serve its purpose for another 6 without the need to upgrade.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I've got a JVC LT17 LCD TV which has to be at least 5 years old, possibly 6.
First LCD I bought.
Still going strong, picture-wise.
Switching it on/off can be a bit of a palavour sometimes, but that's a seperate issue.
It'll be getting given to my mother next week, as no room for it in the new kitchen design.:(

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
I agree that 6 years is not bad at all, but the official life expectansy which is based on the back light life is like 20 years, and it seems that the mail reason for an LCD to die is something else, causing those lines.
On the other hand, i had my 17in monitor for 6 years, if i buy a new one i dont think it will be any better, and i assume the old one could serve its purpose for another 6 without the need to upgrade.
Realistically, a modern LCD monitor will be better in everyway. It will be (on average) 6 generations newer than the one you have now and the technology has changed a lot in that time, including reliabilty and resiliance of components. It will also be very inexpensive, compared to what you paid all those years ago.

Paul

S Bibby

Hi,
I also think that quality matters in the long-term and in this respect certain Brands do have a better reputation than others. Sony CRT TVs were known to last for 15/20 years while others might fail somewhat prematurely. LCDs use more components in some cases but sometimes just one component can fail and these products are usually a sum of their parts.

GaryB

Distinguished Member
Remember that any quoted life expectancy is an average. In that average, there will be some sets that last 1 year and some sets that last 10 years.

Looking at Google for descriptions of similar faults doesn't really mean that much as you will almost certainly see people with faults similar to what you have. This will lead you to believe that what you have is common. What you will not see are reports from far more people whose sets are working fine. Without knowing the ratio of faulty units to faulty units, the posts aren't really significant.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom