Life expectancy of a DiSEqC motor?

tqd12

Hi there,

I've had my Technomate TM-2300 motor for a good few years now (3 yrs) how long roughly before I should look at getting it replaced? I may be replacing the dish fairly soon as the back has started to go a horrible green colour (its a white dish) and there's some specs of rust around the edges now -(its over a decade old!) so I wondered whether its worth replacing the motor while I'm at it.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Diseqc motors can literally go on indefinitely if installed properly.. requiring a service check for tensioning or tightening. Most common faults are damage through poor cabling connectors shorting / intermittent connection ... electrical faults on other devices traveling up the coax etc. Poor brackets can mean a motorised receives more whiplash damage from gales. It also depends how wind exposed it is/ dish size weight and any local wind pressure issues.

The green on the back of the dish should just wash off like anything else.

Seeing any rust means the manufacturer didn't use such a good rust proofing. . Triax dishes tend to look new 5 10 15 years on and just need a wipe every 5 years. There's one here that's c. 14 years old and never been touched.. still works every day .. about 0.4 out atm.

The latest TM2600 M2 motors are very consistently well made.

JH4

Yeh, I have a Fibo Gregorian that is still perfect after 18 or so years. Just needed to re-grease (with car grease) the bearings, after the original white stuff that it was packed with solidified and seized up. Perfect ever since. No rust..

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Yeh, I have a Fibo Gregorian that is still perfect after 18 or so years. Just needed to re-grease (with car grease) the bearings, after the original white stuff that it was packed with solidified and seized up. Perfect ever since. No rust..

How did you unseize it.. they can be really difficult .. mainly aluminium oxide .. got one here . Still seized.

JH4

It took about half an hour with a lump hammer and WD 40 - if I remember right ! Eventually it came loose. The car grease solved it permanently - for some years now. Really good dish and motor tho. Shame they are no longer made.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
It took about half an hour with a lump hammer and WD 40 - if I remember right ! Eventually it came loose. The car grease solved it permanently - for some years now. Really good dish and motor tho. Shame they are no longer made.

I think that one had been seized solid for a few years - might go back to it with wd40. It's nice to have the original motor for the fibo but I'm not convinced it was the best satellite motor design with it's gearing & resolution. I've converted the fibo dishes to fit other motors - mainly Channel Master 1.2 polarmounts.
Nice dish

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom